Dating a JW info

by Lady Lee 115 Replies latest social relationships

• Opened Eyes
    Opened Eyes

All I want to say is wow! And thank you all for posting such informative information. You have helped me a bunch but before I explain how, let me give you all some background to better explain what has happened......

First of all let me tell you that I am "sort of" Athiest. I use the term "sort of" because I do not have a religion but I do not fully disbelieve in any higher power. My family moved around alot and never really were close to other family members and we very very rarely went to church (maybe 5 times total in my lifetime.) My mother is a Christian but my Father was (passed now) an Athiest who "insisted" that his children learn from their own experiences about religion and let us choose for ourselves. So, being from a non-family oriented "family" and experiencing very little religion in my life I've always just researched anything about religion whenever I've run across a question or two.

I have done my own personal research on the bible and religion and personally feel going to church is a waste of time. Please, no offense to those who do attend as this is only my personal view and I do not and will not ever look down upon people of faith as I know they do live happier and more meaning full lives than most people (myself included.)

I am a nice guy and in my opinion (and in those who know me) am one of the nicest around who would do basically anything for anyone just to make sure they are happy and ok. Making people happy is what makes me happy most of the time. That being said, I seem to attract the "needy" or "nut-so" type when looking for a relationship. They seemed like nice women but always ended up using, cheating, lying, stealing, extremely mentally abused (and beyond), et cetera and I always stuck with the relationships way too long trying to help them which in turn always would crush my heart in the end. And most of the time, not just the normal break-up but the type that I would try to keep saving until finally they completely destroyed me to the point that I no longer wanted to even be. Then I would somehow pick myself back up and do it all over again... Basically, I am a 32 year old man. Single, never married, no children (have always wanted to have at least one), fairly successful, quiet, nice, neat, clean, who always gets stepped on.

So, now that you know kind of who I am and some of my background and how much of a sucker I am. I just want to say thank you because of what could have happened but will not now because of you guys.

..... Now I'll explain

The Story:

Almost two weeks ago I left work as normal and only traveled about 2 blocks from the parking garage when I noticed the car in front of me had a flat and the driver wasn't pulling over for some strange reason. So, I pulled up next to them and rolled my window down and pointed to the driver's tire. The driver looked over and rolled her window down. That's when I explained the flat tire to her. She was shocked, thanked me, and asked if she could get in front of me to pull off the side of the road. I said yes and then I thought for a split second, and suggested she pull in to the parking lot across from us and I would change it for her. She agreed.. She popped the trunk and thanked me as I began changing the tire. She made small talk and me being the shy person that I am didn't say much other than answer her questions and listen to her (where I work, where she works, where she is traveling to, et cetera.) She had a long drive ahead of her (she lives out by me which is 35 miles away from work) so driving on a flat on the highway wouldn't have been pretty. I changed the tired in about 20 minutes, she thanked me, I said no problem, then turned to leave when she stopped me and asked for my phone number and asked if she could repay me with lunch the next day. I said of course, she asked for my number then called my cell right then and there (she said to make sure she got my number correct) and I was on my way.

The following day, she texted my cell early in the morning asking me where to meet up and what time would be good for lunch. I let her know 11:30am would be good and since I knew she worked close I picked a spot to meet fairly close as well. She agreed and we met and had lunch. Our conversation seemed to be going well, she was all smiles, I was all smiles, then about half way through our lunch when I asked what she did on the weekend to relax or have fun she told me she was a JW who did volunteer work. I really didn't know anything at all about JW's at the time so I did not really have a reaction other than telling her it was nice of her to help people who also needed help. I've done plenty of research on the church but very little on JW and knew nothing other than knowing they knock on doors, seem close minded, and most people see them as a cult.

I'm a fairly intelligent person and intelligence is one of the major qualities I seek in a companion so when I learned of this and knew as little about JW as I did I was pretty discouraged. She seemed very intelligent so I was wondering how someone like her could be duped into a religion like this but I did not press the issue...

The meal carried on with no other mention of JW or religion and we still seemed to hit it off pretty well. We walked a little, I learned she liked dark chocolate so I bought her some and then we shook hands and parted ways. She asked me to text her some time. I took this as promising (again, not knowing much about JW.)

Later that night I got home and figured it's Friday night and during our lunch she stated she liked movies so I wonder if she would like to see a movie so I texted her,"Would you like to see a movie tomorrow night?" Hours passed and late that night I received a reply,"I don't think so." I took that as (I'm not interested.) So I left it at that.. and never contacted her again....

And then more than a week and a half passes by and I receive a text on my cell early in the morning during work,"Good Morning.. Sorry I did not reply to your text. Do you have an e-mail address I can e-mail to you at work?"... from her.

I'm thinking.. huh? I didn't text you? Maybe she texted the wrong number? Or maybe she was interested in me and since I did not contact her she was making up an excuse to contact me? I didn't know so I texted her back with my e-mail address and nothing more. No reply.. the work day passed and no e-mail.. I went home.. ate... about 8pm I checked my e-mail again and I'm thinking,"Must've been a text to the wrong number, but just to find out, I'll test her." So I text her asking her if she would like to have lunch tomorrow. She replied quickly with a quick and short "ok." So I text back again,"Same time ok? Have you ever been to Atlanta Bread?" No reply... until 10:46pm. From our last lunch she knows I work at 7am and have to get up at 5:30am to goto work. I also know she works at the same time so this was odd to send so late in the night... and her reply was longer instead of short and quick like before,"11:30 will be ok. As long as it is within walking distance." (may have said more but that was the jest of it) I let her know the location (which was close to both our jobs) and went back to sleep.

So yesterday we met and had lunch again. I felt a little strange with someone buying me lunch last time (nobody has done that for me) so I bought her lunch this time (she had her card out and seemed to want to pay for her own lunch but I didn't let her.) We both ordered soups and she asked if I wanted to eat in the park instead of the restaurant because it was too quiet there (no idea why.. but that's what she said..) so we ordered to go and took our lunch to the park downtown. We chatted a little more about what we do for work, and I asked her what she usually does for lunch since she seems to be free for lunch all the time and found out she basically devotes her life to work and church. She gets up, goes to work at a successful job, never takes a lunch, goes home, then on the weekend volunteers and goes to church, then does it all over again. I thought, wow, she seems like an extreemly wonderful person but she really needs to have some time for herself to do what she wants and to make herself happy instead of others. So we seperated again and I went back to work this time a little confused because some of the pieces of the puzzle from before started to fit into place. My thoughts started to come together and fall apart....These are my thoughts only and not fact: "She texted me so late because she was keeping me a secret from her family (she's 26 and lives with her family.)", "She has brought up her religion at both luncheons but she did it in a very quick and nonchalant kind of way to make sure the conversation didn't stay on religion and changed very fast.", "Her co-workers don't know about me, actually.. nobody she knows.. knows about me.", "Is she trying to convert me? Is she having doubts about her own religion because she saw a nice person help her who isn't JW? Is she allowed to even hang out with me? Is she supposed to be taking a lunch with me?" Then, just as all these thoughts are running through my head she sent me a text while at work and it is still in my phone so I'll word it word for word,"Thanks for inviting me today :) You seem like a nice guy..but we dont share the same interest and im not intersted being more than friends."

That text confused me even more because we never even talked about a relationship or relationships or getting together or things of that sort, so obviously the thought of that has popped in her mind.. but why? Yes, before I knew about JW's I would have dated her but at the time I was only treating her as a friend and nothing more. I never once brought up anything about dating or relationships or even if I was single. Maybe the movie thing from a week ago she took as a date? And why even go to lunch a second time if that is how you felt about a person? So I replied back,"I do not have a problem with being friends because I thought that's what we were. As far as interests, I am not so sure about that as you do not know me." She replied with,"we can still have lunch if you want"

That confused me even more so I came home tonight and researched and researched about JW's (about 6 hours or more of non-stop reading and searching.) I know the basics but everything I've read here and from other sites has basically just told me to delete this number and run. She's a sweet girl and has a good heart but it's misguided... nothing I can do about that. You guys saved me yet another heart-ache.. and probably a bigger one than normal this time. :)

Thank you guys!

• Cosmos
    Cosmos

Hi, I am new to this forum and I think God guided me to this site lol. Anyways I have read all the stories and advise that has been given on this site and let me tell they are real eye openers. I am only 17 and a Christian and I have been dating a JW for almost 2 months now and let me say that I think my story is quite different from everyone else. So here goes: I met JW boy and what can I say, he was nice, we became friends and eventually started dating. About 3 week into the relationship I went to his house and after on my way home (he was taking me to the bus stop) we were holding hands when all of a sudden someone called him and he immediately turned around and let go of my hand at the speed of light lol. It turned out that the person was a member of his congregation and therefore if he found out we were dating it will be trouble. Anyway they talked for while and the guy went his way. When we got to the bus stop I notice a change in him. His face was stricken with fear so I asked him what was wrong and he said he might get into trouble because we have been seen together. So I asked him if he was not allowed to date me and he did not really give me a straight answer and gave me the quote 'Marry in the Lord'. We got talking and he told me that he is breaking some rules because of the fact that we were dating and that he now feels guilty. Things suddenly turned serious and I said I did not want him to break any rules just to go out with me. He replied and said that if that is the case then we can't go out anymore because basically if he did not break the rules our relationship will break down. I told him to think about it and said that he does not need to and that he already knows what to do. He said in his heart he wants to be with me but his head is telling him otherwise but he knows the heart is treacherous and that you cannot trust it. Basically he wanted to break up but he could not tell me straight so I told him he is gonna have to but he didn't. My bus came and I got on it thinking we were over. Later that day I got a text from him saying that he really likes me and that he is going to break the rules and keep going out with me. At this point I did not know what to say but I tried to reply to his text anyway by saying ' I'm happy you like me that much to break some rules but with my hand on my I cannot accept that fact that you are doing so but I am going to be selfish and accept anyway because I really like you too' The funny thing is I had no credit to send my reply via text so I tried free internet text messaging and for some reason it will not send so I tried to mail him my reply and again for some reason it will not send. At this point I was thinking maybe I'm not supposed to reply because something was clearly working against me lol. ps I don't know what has happened to all my paragraphs lol All of a sudden something in my mind told me to do research about JW's and dating and that is how I found this site and oh boy was I surprised. Everything that has happened in my relationship with this guy had also happened to others. After reading through so many stories about others I called my friend and told her about what I have discovered. The next day I went to my friend's house and did some more research and to my horror everything was telling me to run. Even my friend told me to run. After much contemplating I decided to keep dating him despite all the evidence to run because he did not seem like your typical JW. What I am trying to say is that he has a mind and opinion of his own it seems that he has not been completely brainwashed so I thought there was hope for him and that maybe I could make him realise the truth about the Watch tower bible and tract society. So things went back to normal and I tried some of the methods on this site and others to try and make him seem sense. I got him to answer some questions which I got from 'Opening the Closed Mind'. He answered all the questions but half way through he didn't want to answer anymore so he tried to distract me but I stood my ground and made sure he answered all of them. I told him we will go over his answers when I next see him and he agreed. Needless to say that till this day we have not been able to go over his answers. Anyway back to the story. About a week ago on of the members of his congregation saw us walking on the street (I did not find out until later). My bf suddenly told me to pretend that I did not him. I thought it was bit weird but I did not want him to get into trouble so I did as he said. Later we went to his house and I asked him about what happened earlier and he told me not to worry about it. So I let it go. Any way the day progressed and it was almost time for me to get going. He gets a phone call and he runs into his bedroom and answers. He came back and he somehow seemed different. He started to act weird then he did something I really did not like and I was very disappointed in him. He said he had to go to badminton practice and that someone was coming to pick him up so could I wait until after they have gone then leave. I did not say a word to him after what he had done and just stared at him with disappointment in my eyes. He left and about a minute later I left and went home. On my way home he send me a text saying see you next week and replied back 'HELL NO!' left it as that. About two hours later I get another text from him saying ' forget about the first text, I know exactly what I have done, I could see it in your eyes and I'm really sorry, I’m crying as I send you this text'. He explained that the guy that saw us walking on street saw us kissing from his kitchen window and that it was him that called and picked him up. He told him to end his relationship with me. He said he got scared and that is why he did what he did because he knew that if he did that then it will break us up. At this point I was feeling so angry I did not know what to say to him except for that fact that I need to talk to him face to face about what happened. He agreed and on Friday I met up with him and asked him what it was that he wanted and he said that he wants me. I did not believe him. I told him that he was a like a little rabbit that runs and hides every time he see an eagle and that he cant keep saying lets break up and then later change his mind. He asked me if we were still together and I said I'm not sure but he needs to make it up to me. Anyways later that day when I came home I got a text message from him saying that he is going to tell his mum and the elders everything and tell them that he is still going to date no matter what they do. So I asked him even if that means he gets disfelloworshiped and he said yes. So I told him to do what ever he thinks is best. That night he told his mum everything with the presence of an elder and the next day the elder told the body of elders and now they are contemplating what is going to happen to him. Finally I have finished my story; sorry that it is so long lol. Anyway at this moment he is very uneasy and I do not know what to say or do to support him. I feel that this is the opportunity for me to help him break free from the watch tower since he was brave enough to tell them the truth despite the consequences but I don’t know how to go about it. I need your help. PS I don't know what has happened to the paragraphing

• wtfjw?
    wtfjw?

well recently i was dating the jw everything was kool til her mother caught us together then her mom took her husband, and the husband is an elder. she called everything off. at that moment it was so painful after 1 and half year of dating it just ended like that. she cut all communication w/ me. ignored me, blocked me, and shut me out of her life. that showed me how much that person care and what was important to her. the religion is more important than then what they care about most. always trying to please people.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I'm loving all these replies from new people....welcome Opened Eyes, Cosmos, and wtfjw!

I'm definitely seeing a sort of scatterbrained behavior in the first two stories. They want to date, but the hounders (aka the elders) get a whiff of it and then they've got to scramble. Hide! Pretend you don't know me! We can't be seen together!

They want to get to know you, but the dub world takes over like a virus...overriding their feelings. Forcing them to send mixed messages. Shame it has to be like this.

And Cosmos, let me just say that for you to "help" this df'd kid you're dating...well...show him how to LIVE. After he's df'd, those two night sales meetings will be uncomfortable times. Saturdays or Sundays, whichever time was his public meeting, you've got to fill. Start a hobby. Start a weekly planned activity right at those former times. Be advised that df'd people will probably crawl back to "Mother" (a disgusting name for the WTS) if they feel a void for familiar friendship or they get hit with guilt bombs from family members.

Read books from former members. Read books from survivors from other cults. Videogames, paintballing, fixing up cars...these and more are all activities normal dudes spend their free time doing. Get him hooked. Hopefully you've got a good network of friends yourself. If he doesn't feel comfortable in your world, he will come crawling back to the old one, I guarantee it.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Priorities: can you handle not being No 1 in their life? If they remain a witness, you will never be as important to them as Jehovah, the organisation, the congregation, the rules, the family, the assemblies and meetings, the field service. You will always be the one holding them back.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Cosmos reposted:

Hi, I am new to this forum and I think God guided me to this site lol. Anyways I have read all the stories and advise that has been given on this site and let me tell they are real eye openers. I am only 17 and a Christian and I have been dating a JW for almost 2 months now and let me say that I think my story is quite different from everyone else. So here goes:

I met JW boy and what can I say, he was nice, we became friends and eventually started dating. About 3 week into the relationship I went to his house and after on my way home (he was taking me to the bus stop) we were holding hands when all of a sudden someone called him and he immediately turned around and let go of my hand at the speed of light lol. It turned out that the person was a member of his congregation and therefore if he found out we were dating it will be trouble. Anyway they talked for while and the guy went his way. When we got to the bus stop I notice a change in him. His face was stricken with fear so I asked him what was wrong and he said he might get into trouble because we have been seen together. So I asked him if he was not allowed to date me and he did not really give me a straight answer and gave me the quote 'Marry in the Lord'. We got talking and he told me that he is breaking some rules because of the fact that we were dating and that he now feels guilty. Things suddenly turned serious and I said I did not want him to break any rules just to go out with me. He replied and said that if that is the case then we can't go out anymore because basically if he did not break the rules our relationship will break down. I told him to think about it and said that he does not need to and that he already knows what to do. He said in his heart he wants to be with me but his head is telling him otherwise but he knows the heart is treacherous and that you cannot trust it. Basically he wanted to break up but he could not tell me straight so I told him he is gonna have to but he didn't. My bus came and I got on it thinking we were over.

Later that day I got a text from him saying that he really likes me and that he is going to break the rules and keep going out with me. At this point I did not know what to say but I tried to reply to his text anyway by saying ' I'm happy you like me that much to break some rules but with my hand on my I cannot accept that fact that you are doing so but I am going to be selfish and accept anyway because I really like you too' The funny thing is I had no credit to send my reply via text so I tried free internet text messaging and for some reason it will not send so I tried to mail him my reply and again for some reason it will not send. At this point I was thinking maybe I'm not supposed to reply because something was clearly working against me lol.

ps I don't know what has happened to all my paragraphs lol

All of a sudden something in my mind told me to do research about JW's and dating and that is how I found this site and oh boy was I surprised. Everything that has happened in my relationship with this guy had also happened to others. After reading through so many stories about others I called my friend and told her about what I have discovered. The next day I went to my friend's house and did some more research and to my horror everything was telling me to run. Even my friend told me to run.
    After much contemplating I decided to keep dating him despite all the evidence to run because he did not seem like your typical JW. What I am trying to say is that he has a mind and opinion of his own it seems that he has not been completely brainwashed so I thought there was hope for him and that maybe I could make him realise the truth about the Watch tower bible and tract society.

So things went back to normal and I tried some of the methods on this site and others to try and make him seem sense. I got him to answer some questions which I got from 'Opening the Closed Mind'. He answered all the questions but half way through he didn't want to answer anymore so he tried to distract me but I stood my ground and made sure he answered all of them. I told him we will go over his answers when I next see him and he agreed. Needless to say that till this day we have not been able to go over his answers.

Anyway back to the story. About a week ago on of the members of his congregation saw us walking on the street (I did not find out until later). My bf suddenly told me to pretend that I did not him. I thought it was bit weird but I did not want him to get into trouble so I did as he said. Later we went to his house and I asked him about what happened earlier and he told me not to worry about it. So I let it go. Any way the day progressed and it was almost time for me to get going. He gets a phone call and he runs into his bedroom and answers. He came back and he somehow seemed different. He started to act weird then he did something I really did not like and I was very disappointed in him. He said he had to go to badminton practice and that someone was coming to pick him up so could I wait until after they have gone then leave. I did not say a word to him after what he had done and just stared at him with disappointment in my eyes. He left and about a minute later I left and went home. On my way home he send me a text saying see you next week and replied back 'HELL NO!' left it as that. About two hours later I get another text from him saying ' forget about the first text, I know exactly what I have done, I could see it in your eyes and I'm really sorry, I’m crying as I send you this text'. He explained that the guy that saw us walking on street saw us kissing from his kitchen window and that it was him that called and picked him up. He told him to end his relationship with me. He said he got scared and that is why he did what he did because he knew that if he did that then it will break us up. At this point I was feeling so angry I did not know what to say to him except for that fact that I need to talk to him face to face about what happened. He agreed and on Friday I met up with him and asked him what it was that he wanted and he said that he wants me. I did not believe him. I told him that he was a like a little rabbit that runs and hides every time he see an eagle and that he cant keep saying lets break up and then later change his mind. He asked me if we were still together and I said I'm not sure but he needs to make it up to me. Anyways later that day when I came home I got a text message from him saying that he is going to tell his mum and the elders everything and tell them that he is still going to date no matter what they do. So I asked him even if that means he gets disfelloworshiped and he said yes. So I told him to do what ever he thinks is best.

That night he told his mum everything with the presence of an elder and the next day the elder told the body of elders and now they are contemplating what is going to happen to him. Finally I have finished my story; sorry that it is so long lol. Anyway at this moment he is very uneasy and I do not know what to say or do to support him. I feel that this is the opportunity for me to help him break free from the watch tower since he was brave enough to tell them the truth despite the consequences but I don’t know how to go about it. I need your help.

PS I don't know what has happened to the paragraphing

• jgnat
    jgnat

Another (fuller) answer to Athiest. Gosh, this thread picks up newbies. I'm going to have to bookmark it so you guys don't get lost in the shuffle.

ATHIEST:

The ONLY part of her former faith that she misses is the idea that she will live on earth in eternal bliss with all of the other people who have chosen to follow the beliefs of the "Jehovah God". Basically she is afraid to get old because she feels that she has nothing to look forward to as she did before. Is there ANYTHING that anyone can think of that can help us with this problem.

Hi, I'm a regular Christian married to a practicing JW. My hubby is afraid to grow old, too. He also is fearful that Armageddon is close and it is useless to plan for the future. There are a few things that help. The society sometimes talks about how their non-Witness loved ones will have a new chance in the paradise to come. My JW hubby hangs on to that belief in the hope that his parents will be resurrected in the new order, and he will be reunited with him. It's kind of complicated. The society tells it's followers they MUST remain faithful or die, but those already dead, Witness or not, will all have a chance. Knowing how he believes, I encourage him as follows.

- I remind him of his mother, her kindness, her love and good works. He can be sure that she is safe in Jehovah's memory for the new day. This he believes. Then I tell him he has a good heart, too. I put my hand on his heart. Wouldn't a loving Jehovah also remember him also on that day?

- Every time he suggests this world won't last much longer, I tease him in to letting me plan for the future. I save for retirement. We plan holidays a year in advance. I sign up for payment plans, like jam-of-the-month and Christmas hampers, to help him anticipate future events. If he suggests that my efforts are useless, I laugh and tell him we'll find out who is right....in time.

I am worried what he will be like in retirement. I've warned him if he is a gloomy gus, he can go bunk out on another wing of the nursing home. I plan on staying active, playing whist and mall walking. Or whatever other silly games seniors play in their abundant spare time.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Kabukiman, I'm not sure what made me think your girlfriend had delayed baptism. Sorry about that. There will be consequences when she comes clean to the congregation about your relationship. Has your attraction led to increasing intimacy? She could be disfellowshipped if you are sleeping together.

You are a very generous soul. I think your relationship COULD work from your end, but I'm not so sure it will work from her end. She is going to have to confront her family and her religion some time.

At the very least, she may be disfellowshipped for a time, and be required to either discard you or marry you.

Food for thought.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hi, opened eyes. I think you found yourself a very nice, very confused girl. I don't think she would use you like some of your other relationships, but she also is going to continue to send you mixed messages. I think she is attracted to you. But she is conflicted because of the obligations of her religion. In other words, you are her "worldly temptation." She calls when she's ready to break free, then out of guilt cuts it off. She may or may not snap out of it.

I am a bit worried about you because you fall madly in love and hang on to relationships far too long. Could you date other women as well? If she snaps out of it, you might have a winner. If she doesn't, you won't have wasted years waiting for her.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hey, Cosmos. You've been very good to stick with your boyfriend through all this. Your BF may face discipline, the worst that would be is disfellowshipping. In any case, he will be warned to break it off with you. If he ever wants to be in good with the religion, he will have to obey.

You will have to wait and see if he is able to obey. If he is disfellowshipped, he is going to be intensely lonely. You could ask him if he thinks it is worth it to get reinstated, or if he believes any of it any more. If you can encourage him to get away from it all for a few weeks, say a school event or camp or something, he may be able to see things more clearly.

I am afraid most of the conseqences, and his decisions are out of your hands.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit