If its good, God did it... if its bad Satan did it....

by Elsewhere 162 Replies latest jw friends

• Princess
    Princess
    you know what just hit me? we're debating the dialogue of a story that has been proven time and time again to be completely fictitious. next, why don't we debate what luke skywalker really meant in his first line from star wars.

Pretty much what I was thinking when I made my last post, but without the Luke Skywalker part. It's a waste of time debating it. myelaine has admitted she infers meaning into the story. She will believe it no matter what and that is her right. A year ago I was reading the account with my then six year old son. He basically saw the whole thing as BS without my help. I thought about beating him for it but decided it would be over-correcting him so I just let it go.

• myelaine
    myelaine

Where in the account does it even mention that Satan was the serpent?

undercover,

The serpent was in opposition to God, the angel that took 1/3 of the angels with him was Satan(he was in opposition to God). So it stands to reason that If it wasn't Satan in the form of a snake, it was one of his angels. Still evil.

michelle

• Princess
    Princess
    The serpent was in opposition to God, the angel that took 1/3 of the angels with him was Satan(he was in opposition to God). So it stands to reason that If it wasn't Satan in the form of a snake, it was one of his angels. Still evil.

My understanding was that Satan didn't have any angels/demons until after the flood.

• doogie
    doogie
    I thought about beating him for it but decided it would be over-correcting him so I just let it go.

hahahaha!!

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

My,

If God is LOVE why would he make a creature that can become evil since the assumption is that God is the very essence of LOVE. To make an angel that can become evil and then punish innocent people who inherit the effects from this so-called first cause of evil seems to put this God in a very bad light morally.

It like allowing your kids to play with bank robbers and molestors and then getting mad at them when they rob a bank or allow themselves to be molested.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

The interesting thing with regards to the bet between God and Satan - and Job...

God allowed Satan to kill off Job's children. Job remained 'faithful' to God.

So how does God reward Job? By allowing Job to have more children to 'replace' those that he lost.

Now... if this God were _really_ so all-powerful, and _really_ wanted to show off his power... he could've just resurrected the children that Satan killed.

Nope. Job had new children.

Job was a putz. He 'accepted' the new children, and his new wealth, etc. and 'praised' God.

The moral? If you lose a child or two... just have another - or two - to replace them. Praise God! (Too bad he didn't get a replacement wife, too... from the sound of it, she was a b****.)

(This bit was no doubt written by some Catholic monk in a monastery, who had never had children.)

Good fairy tales abound in that book they refer to as a 'bible'.

Regards,

Jim TX

P.S. I'm just waiting for the folks here to start talking about all the 'after Armageddon' JW-BS logic - and God destroying any who 'choose' to not be 'faithful' to him.

Rule by dictators has been around for a long time. Obedience by 'fear of being destroyed' is all that is the result.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

myelaine,

Consider the following:

You have to leave your children alone for a few minutes and you tell them not to watch television, because it will make them sick. While you are gone, one of your neighbours sees the children not watching TV and asks them why not. They tell him: "Because Mommy said it will make us sick". The neighbour says: "That's nonsense. TV won't make you sick. It'll entertain you and teach you about the world." So, these children being innocent, turn on the TV and are suddenly entertained and educated. When you come back, you discover that the TV was used, so you poison your children.

Firstly, I want to know if you consider that a good analogy for the Adam & Eve myth, and if not, why not. Secondly, do you think the children being poisoned is fair, as they were warned of the consequences?

• heathen
    heathen

I think the moral of the story of JOB is that GOD expects loyalty to him even under severe circumstances and not just because he works good things on behalf of his servants . Satan was clearly jealous because he couldn't manipulate JOB and take the only person on earth that worshipped with a sincere heart away from worshipping GOD . JOB was not the selfish and hypocritical person that satan thought he was so was later rewarded with way more than he ever had in the end . All's well that ends well.

Undercover---- LMAO@ the star wars metaphor . I think Lucas meant to portray the rebels as the good guys and the empire as the bad guys . The emperor was evil even by the laws that governed the force , plus he just plain looked evil .... LOL

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

I've read the bible and I don't recall Satan himself actually ever doing anything evil or harmful...

Else

I hate to play Devil?s advocate here Else, but there is that little account of Job:

9 "Does Job fear God for nothing?" Satan replied. 10 "Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. 11 But stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face."
    12 The LORD said to Satan, "Very well, then, everything he has is in your hands?

.. 18 "Your sons and daughters were feasting and drinking wine at the oldest brother's house, 19 when suddenly a mighty wind swept in from the desert and struck the four corners of the house. It collapsed on them and they are dead

Satan is pictured here as doing something evil, killing Job?s family.

Now to be fair and play, well, an advocate for the Devil , this account really doesn?t put God in a good light either. God telling Satan to ?do your best? is a rather shatty thing to do as the God of Love. If a parent was approached by an evil person, say a convicted felon, and the felon said:

?I think your kid loves you only because you feed and house them. Take that away and I bet your your child will no longer love you.?

What we think of a parent who said;

?Go ahead, do what you like to my child, just don?t do any bodily harm to him?

Nice parent. A real ?God of Love? for sure.

however I read many accounts where God killed or tormented countless thousands of people for arbitrary reasons.

Else

And that?s a good point. Satan is shown in a bad light a few times in the Bible, God?s propaganda piece. But in God?s own written word, you can open the Bible and let the pages fall where they lie and likely find God kicking someone?s ass because they were acting like a normal human being.

RE: the Genesis account, sure I have always been a fan of mythology, so this little account is just as interesting as Zeus and the Titans battling.

Here?s what God said to Eve as she understood it according to Gen 3:

3 but God did say, 'You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die .' "
    4 "You will not surely die," the serpent said to the woman. 5 "For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."

Genesis 2 17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die .

So Eve knew of only ONE consequence of taking the fruit: Touch the forbidden fruit and you will die that day

Now what was Satan?s thoughts on the consequences if she took the fruit?

1. You will surely not die
    2. your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil

And what really happened? It happened just like Satan said it would happen:

1. They did not die THAT DAY

2. 22 And the LORD God said, "The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil.

As far as I can see, Satan was right on the money.

But God got really pissed off that Satan was right, so he unloaded a can of whop-ass on everyone. So God changed the rules and the punishment. Instead of killing them that day, God instead:

1. Covered up Adam & Eve?s perfect asses with a fig leaf
    2. 16 To the woman he said, "I will greatly increase your pains in childbearing;
    3. 16 To the woman he said, ?Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you."
    4. 17 To Adam he said, ? "Cursed is the ground because of you; through painful toil you will eat of it
    5. 18 It will produce thorns and thistles for you, and you will eat the plants of the field.
    6. 19 By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground,
      since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return."
    7. 23 So the LORD God banished him from the Garden of Eden to work the ground from which he had been taken.
    8. 24 After he drove the man out, he placed on the east side of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life.

As far as I can see, God is just a sore loser, got mad, and took his football so no one could play.

So if I choose to spank my children who don't have a clue why they were mislead about something, I'm not really punishing them, I'm reiterating the consequences of not reading my mind? Therefore, since I love my children, I'll let them live but only for a little while?

Princess

Darling, parenting is like taking care of a car. You gotta do PM [preventive maintenance]. You don?t wait for the engine to seize up before you change the oil. You have to regularly change the oil.

Same with kids. You gotta beat them every 3 months or 3000 miles, whatever comes first. You put that off and before you know it they?ll be holding up liquor stores with BB guns and listening to Air Supply.

In fact, it looks like you are getting outta line on the board yourself little missy. Maybe I should tell Steve you are overdue for a good spanking

• undercover
    undercover

It doesn't necessarily stand to reason. I see no proof that Satan was the serpent. All I'm trying to point out is that it doesn't say it. You can infer it, you can reason it that way, you can believe if you want, but you can't prove it from the account itself. Satan as an entity or person or spirit is not mentioned at all in Genesis.

Evil or not, God created it. God created the good and he created the evil. If God is all good and perfect, how did he come to create evil?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit