If its good, God did it... if its bad Satan did it....

by Elsewhere 162 Replies latest jw friends

• Princess
    Princess
    Satan brought God's wisdom into question. He personally misled the first couple, who were essentially children. They didn't even know the difference between good and evil.

Then why did God punish them for it? If my children didn't know the difference between good and evil, I sure wouldn't punish them. I'd teach them.

• undercover
    undercover
    I've read the bible and I don't recall Satan himself actually ever doing anything evil or harmful... however I read many accounts where God killed or tormented countless thousands of people for arbitrary reasons.

There was the time that Jesus cast out the demons from somebody and they entered the pigs and caused them to run off of a cliff.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Ozzie,

Jesus came into the world to save sinners. Why? Because of Satan and Adam and Eve.

And this also raises the question of why does God need to have his own son die to cancel the sin of some long dead persons??

I just don't see any kind of absolute justice in that. To say God is "Love" and that he can't forgive us who are supposed to be born in sin and helpless sinners unless he has some one "sinless" die to stand in their place so as to satisfy justice? It is all pretty twisted if you ask me. In this whole ransom thing we see the support for: 2 wrongs = 1 right,, no thanks!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Trust me, I'm not bringing this up to be a smartass... it is just that this had occurred to me and I wanted to know if I had missed something in the bible.

The reason this is so frightening to people is because it forces one to consider the possibility that Satan is the "good guy" and God is the "bad guy". God clearly states that he wants slaves and will crush anyone who defies him, Satan on the other hand wants freedom for everyone. For those into politics this also poses the problem that this would mean that Democracy is inherently satanic.

Don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting everyone go sign up with the first Satanist group they can find (those guys can be just as cruel as any Christian).

• Balsam
    Balsam

Aaac, wow loved that link, that was so funny.

Elsewhere, I'm with you on the subject of God, evil, and being saved.

• myelaine
    myelaine

Then why did God punish them for it? If my children didn't know the difference between good and evil, I sure wouldn't punish them. I'd teach them.

Princess,

I am sure God wanted to teach Adam and Eve the difference between good and evil in his own time. Satan pushed the time forward. When he misled A & E he did (almost) irrepairable damage, he caused them to sin. That is why they had to leave the garden, God couldn't be with sin. The world outside the garden was not insulated, God didn't punish A & E, He reiterated the consequences of not being in true fellowship with Him. The earth is not easy to tend, you will now feel pain, equality between the sexes is gone, you will know evil. So therefore because I love you, I will number your days.

michelle

Our time spent on this earth gives us ample opportunity to learn the difference between good and evil. We are also given the opportunity to choose good over evil. We are still given that choice away from true (complete) fellowship with God. Why? Because God is just, not wanting any soul to die.

• doogie
    doogie
    God didn't punish A & E

?

sorry, i must have missed something.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

My,

I'm with Princess on this one. If God is "Love" and is suppose to be the example of love for all of us to imitate "as beloved children" then that would mean we should kill our offspring when they commit sin in ignorance unless they have an appropriate sacrifice to cover their sins.

I also think of Uzziah who tried to steady the arc of the covenant and was put to death for what he thought was a good deed. If that is loving and I'm supposed to imitated this God,,well I rather just follow comon sense and be kind to people and allow for their mistakes.

• myelaine
    myelaine

doogie,

Consequences are different than punishments. Adam and Eve were told the Consequence (you will die) before they sinned.

michelle

• Princess
    Princess
    I am sure God wanted to teach Adam and Eve the difference between good and evil in his own time.

Really? What was he waiting for? Obviously that was a mistake.

Satan pushed the time forward. When he misled A & E he did (almost) irrepairable damage, he caused them to sin. That is why they had to leave the garden, God couldn't be with sin.

God missed the boat on that one didn't he? If he had taught them the difference between right and wrong before setting them loose, this could have been avoided.

The world outside the garden was not insulated, God didn't punish A & E, He reiterated the consequences of not being in true fellowship with Him. The earth is not easy to tend, you will now feel pain, equality between the sexes is gone, you will know evil. So therefore because I love you, I will number your days.

So if I choose to spank my children who don't have a clue why they were mislead about something, I'm not really punishing them, I'm reiterating the consequences of not reading my mind? Therefore, since I love my children, I'll let them live but only for a little while?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit