Are Christians harmless?

by gumby 245 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Frankly, Gumbles, a christian doesn't try to convert anyone, they believe that by God's grace they are called. This is where the dubs (and others) have it wrong where they attempt by using sales techniques to change people's minds. Remember the "Reasoning" book? Remember the sales Service Meeting? They've overlooked what God does and the heart.

Nevertheless I find this thread part of the patronising that goes on by those who believe that a believer is somehow inferior to them. So it's always been. They claim to believe in their unbelief.

Ozzie

Blessed are the bewildered - for they won't notice!

• Princess
    Princess
    Nevertheless I find this thread part of the patronising that goes on by those who believe that a believer is somehow inferior to them.

But Ozzie, you have to realize that we feel patronized by believers on a regular basis. Those who won't let their kids play with mine, or their whole demeanor changes when they find out we don't attend a church. My sister-in-law treats my whole family different.

Honestly, I think you and LT are an exception. My problem is with those who patronize. You aren't that way.

OK, backing out quietly...

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Princess:

Isn't that what's wrong with labels? We like to categorise people? I've never come across the behavior you cite - except from the dubs of course! But it's wrong that's clear. I gotta tell ya that where i come from it's definitely not our experience. We certainly don't have situations of preventing children from playing with others. Far from it! We actually have playgroups in most localities set up by churches for the community at large, belief doesn't come into it.

Perhaps it's just nicer downunder, eh?

Cheers, Ozzie

• Princess
    Princess
    Perhaps it's just nicer downunder, eh?

I'm sure of it.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I don't see that behaviour in Scotland, either, except amongst some "unusual" individuals. It is most certainly nowhere near the norm. England is generally more "liberal" still.

I do wonder whether some use a defensive mechanism of "aloofness" when unreasonably challenged, though.
    I've stumbled across that perception before, even here.
    I suspect few research their beliefs as thoroughly as exJW's, before involving themselves in any kind of organised religion.

• gumby
    gumby

Frankly, Gumbles, a christian doesn't try to convert anyone, they believe that by God's grace they are called.

Nevertheless I find this thread part of the patronising that goes on by those who believe that a believer is somehow inferior to them

Ozzmeister.....I don't follow you. A christian doesn't convert? Do you mean that oneday god just calls them to be his without the encouragment from others? If this is true.....what was the Apostles missionary work all about? These ones did not go to ones ALREADY called by god did they? ( read Pauls visit to Greece)

As for a non-believer feeling they are superior to a believer......what do you mean exactly?

LT........stay away from my sheep ya bastard!.....woops............ That's better.

Gumby

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    organised religion

Don't say that! Don't say that!

• Princess
    Princess

Interesting. Steve and I were just discussing it and he said it's not that way in Texas either. The NW is full of smug self-righteous people I guess.

Bet you can't wait to visit, eh Ross?

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Are Christians harmless?

The FBI estimates that 84% of the prison population are Christian .

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Gumbles,

Christians act as messengers of the gospel - not converters. Of course they'd love to see their loved ones converted but they know that in the end it's only God who can call them.

No one converted me to christianity away from the Dubs. Noone came to my door. Noone preached to me - even on a db, cos I wasn't there! But my faith is a personal thing between me and my God.

It seems to me that so much bandwidth is used by people somehow trying to come to terms with what they do or do not believe now that they've left the certainties of the borg. Don't you find that?

Perosnally i don;t need to justify for i know what I believe, I believe it's truth, but what you choose is not mine to be responsible for. You choose, then be happy in it - but not denigrate others for their choice.

Ozzie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit