Are Christians harmless?

by gumby 245 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• zen nudist
    zen nudist
    Yes...I realize going wacko is not the only option for those who leave their faith.....but in many cases it seems christianity works well for those who live by it's rules when they cannot seem to keep sane without it.

the problem I discovered for myself and others was that we really did not live better lives, just pretended to better than others who were not trying to pretend to be christians.

my father in law was an elder, at home he was a closet alcoholic and a wife beater, but he looked real good at the meetings

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Flyin:
    I would ask you whether or not that was by virtue of them being Christians or not?
    Some people are just b*st*rds, whatever label they assume.

Unfortunately birds of a feather flock together, in this respect, also...

• gumby
    gumby
    If a Christian is happy: so be it.

If a non-Christian is happy: so be it.

Have respect for the person that is happy with their life. If is isn't broke, don't try to "fix" it.

Codeblue

I'm beginning to go along with this theory .....even if I feel christianity is falsley based. To be happy while on this earth is looking better and better all the time to me. How much happier are agnostics and atheists? Are they happier because they feel they have discovered the truth about god and the bible? I feel an exception to those who have come to know in their own hearts that the bible and the god thing, is not what they thought it was........but decide they will go back to their old faith anyway. That's living a lie and is appears to be not healthy.............but....even if they do this, if it can bring better contentment than not having this in their lives....then is it a good thing? (edited to add) I personally could not go back to something I do not put stock in * lets all his bastard buddies not to get their hopes up in reconverting gumby* Gumby

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gumby:Self-delusion is nothing to be proud of, IMHO.
    Blind faith seems tenuous at best.
    Nonetheless, I don't feel a great urge to rain on someone's parade.

"Re-convert" you?
    That'd have to mean you were "converted" in the first place, ya backslidin' b*st*rd!!!
    LOL

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

If I had to be reincarnated as a Christian, I?d chose to come back as LT, hands down the best example of a Christian I have ever met person to person.

Anyone who is extreme in their belief system is dangerous. Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Pagan, No Panty-eist.

As far as someone basing their belief system on a Being that may be just a fable/god. Well, I suppose that is their perceived reality, but then again, we all have our perceived realities. We all have filters that we translate the world through.

How we interact with fellow mankind in spite of our filters I suppose is the tell tale sign of what kind of Human Being we really are, regardless of what kind of religious label we choose to cloth ourselves in.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Winston:
    Would it be appropriate to say "Amen"?
    LOL

Btw, I've been meaning to ask you, how's the Aikido going?

• jgnat
    jgnat

I figure, the many wars that were fought in the name of religion, were in name only. A man can't start a fight like that and look God squarely in the eye and say it was all for Him. Mostly people fight because they want to. Religion is merely the excuse.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Ah, jgnat, if only that were the case.
    Sadly I must disagree with you.
    That is only my opinion, though, and I accept that I could be wrong.

Religious fervour is an oft abused thing.

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

Hi Gumby:

Are Christians harmless?

I would say that they are not. They can do incredible damage to certain philosophies bent on destroying the inherent dignity of man as a creature made in the image and likeness of God. When a Christian lives up to the oath of his/her adoption as a true child of God, the generosity and love that radiates from that person is infectious and will destroy any philosophy that believes in the destruction of innocent life. Here are links to a couple of my heroes of the faith. People who really lived up to their calling to be a Christian and paid the ultimate price for it: (I hope to join these two saints in heaven someday by the grace of God)

http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/saintm01.htm

http://www.catholicexchange.com/vm/index.asp?vm_id=6&art_id=24684

Secondly, I would say that those who claim to be Christian and yet do not live up to their adoption as children of God are also not harmless. They reflect poorly on their Father in heaven and do harm to those who are searching for truth and wish to live as a child of God by creating scandal. Lord knows that we all know who these people are and, at times, I have to say that I see a person like that when I look in the mirror.

Thirdly, I find it interesting that individuals bring up the Spanish Inquisition as an example of Christianity's failure. While I am not condoning the Spanish Inquisition's excesses, I would much rather live with the excesses of the Spanish Inquisition than the excesses of the Stalinist regime which was clearly based on atheistic philosophies.

Fourthly, someone here wanted to meet God so that he could fully denounce Him for what He has done or I guess not done for us here on earth. Really, God has already been found guilty by us and was in fact executed by us. You can read about it in the New Testament when you read of the crucifixion of Jesus. God was tried, found guilty, and sentenced to death.

Jeff S.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Ah, I am trying to say, Little Toe, that it is two completely different things to do something harmful in God's name, than to actually have God's approval for that action.

Given, people may go to extremes in a religious fervor.

I do also believe though, that tyrants will be tyrants. Religion may be a useful vehicle, but a captivating philsophy, such as Marxism, works just as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit