Are Christians harmless?

by gumby 245 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gumby
    gumby
    When a Christian lives up to the oath of his/her adoption as a true child of God, the generosity and love that radiates from that person is infectious and will destroy any philosophy that believes in the destruction of innocent life.

They haven't destroyed the bible have they Jeff? I mean....god himself killed millions, and plans on killing millions more who never knew/know of his plans and his will for them. Many of these killed by him were children....you know, like he did in the flood. How can you say he abhors the destruction of innocent life?

That's one thing I have trouble with as far as christianity goes. Christians who believe in the bible are forced to believe that all those who do not believe in gods son as being an actuall godman and savior are all going to burn/die. Although thats a bad and negative thought toward your fellowman, I don't know that it is harmful to a great enough degree to "rain on their parade" ...as LT put it.

Gumby

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Flyin:
    I would ask you whether or not that was by virtue of them being Christians or not?
    Some people are just b*st*rds, whatever label they assume.

While it's true that some people are bastards no matter what, it's also true that some nice people become bastards when they become Christians.

I can not imagine how looking up to a Most High, that is so low, and forming ones own identity around it, can not, in some way, mar the soul and open the door to rationalizing ones own inhumanity to man.

Thank you, James Thomas, this helps answer LT's question to me.

Your words also makes me think of the time the Israelites cut off the foreskins of the war dead, pretty grizzly stuff. This makes me think of Jews stoning people to death. Supposedly the same God who did these things or encouraged such things is the same God that Christians worship. Yes, if a Christian can justify God murdering thousands of people and even children, then it will to some degree affect the level of compassion and patience he/she feels for non and even fellow Christians. This can be true of Muslims and Jews, too.

When you believe that it's a loving thing for God to demand you love him or else he will kill you, possibly even burn and torture you forever, it's going to affect you and your view of what love actually is as well as your application of that love to people.

I cannot imagine telling my children and grandchildren that they must love me or I will punish and torture them forever. The emotion they be showing me would stem from fear and not necessarily from real love.

Have respect for the person that is happy with their life. If is isn't broke, don't try to "fix" it.
    Codeblue

I agree here. Live and let live. We can observe and acknowledge the harmfulness in religions, including the Christian religion without trying to fix anyone or change them or their beliefs.

That's one thing I have trouble with as far as christianity goes. Christians who believe in the bible are forced to believe that all those who do not believe in gods son as being an actuall godman and savior are all going to burn/die.

Yes, and the worst explanation I have heard for this is that if God offers a reward to those who love him then he must also offer a punishment to those who don't.

I'd like to think the creator is much more fair and wise than humans. I believe that if JWs can alter the Bible and Catholic monks can doctor the Bible and others have doctored the Bible, that we do not have a pure representation of the original Bible. If there is something that does not make sense and is not loving then to me it's pretty safe to say that it did not come from God. I believe a lot of the evil stories in the Bible were put there by men. Why? To control the behavior of and wield power over people, especially women and children, to their detriment.

Are Christians harmless? Some are harmless but not all of them are harmless.

Flyin'

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

For example..without the backing of the Vatican would Hitler have been able to pull off the atrocities...I don't think so.

I have to point out that what this is, while a valid point, that is was not the Vatican backing Hitler so much as abdicating their moral responsibilities for pragmatic (protecting their own) reasons. Which is exactly what the liberal / anti-war crowd would have us do in the face of global islamo-fascism. Sure, it was a moral failing. But it was a failure of OMISSION rather than COMMISSION - and proves that the former are just as deadly as the latter... Hmmm, we've all heard, 'All it takes for wickedness to triumph is good men to do nothing." I think that, " Wickedness CANNOT triumph unless good men do nothing to prevent it." For wickedness is self defeating; but goodness creates permanence.

Hail.

CZAR

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Flyin:

While it's true that some people are bastards no matter what, it's also true that some nice people become bastards when they become Christians.

And the converse is also true. I would also question whether or not this was true for other groups where enrollment was preceded by, or accompanied by, a life changing event. I know a LOT of Christians, and claimants, but know few who are truly b*st*rds! I know none who advocate burning pagans and heretics at the stake.
    I'm hoping to see if the Washington variety are any different, though, at Xmas

Your words also makes me think of the time the Israelites cut off the foreskins of the war dead, pretty grizzly stuff.

Many culture decaptitated the war dead. Does that make them more or less barbaric than those with a foreskin obsession?
    Many of those self-same cultures when to war in the name of their gods, too, as if with a divine mandate. I honestly don't think the Israelites need singling out on this issue.
    I've not heard of an instance of historic foreskin-chopping by Christian armies, though.

Supposedly the same God who did these things or encouraged such things is the same God that Christians worship.

Actually Bible-god seems to prefer fire and flood from heaven, and hasn't resprted to that in the Christian era. It's his fanatical followers that opt for stones, swords, burning stakes, and other forms of torture.

Are Christians harmless? Some are harmless but not all of them are harmless.

Might that not be said for pretty much any group you care to look at, religious or otherwise?

I appreciate that my comments make not be considered as neutral, since I'm a self-confessed Christian, but I AM trying to look at this objectively.

• shotgun
    shotgun

LT

Many culture decaptitated the war dead. Does that make them more or less barbaric than those with a foreskin obsession?

Hmm.. gives new meaning to "off with his head"..."too much!!...too much!!"

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Shotgun:
    Are we still talking about decapitation?

That sounds vaguely Queen Beth!

• gumby
    gumby
    If there is something that does not make sense and is not loving then to me it's pretty safe to say that it did not come from God

Heather......that's a good barometer to go by isn't it?

I enjoyed your post btw

Gumby

• Terry
    Terry

Imaginary people, talking animals, super powers--weird thoughts can be bottled up inside somebody's belief system.

Sooner or later it comes out; one way or another.

When that person has dealings with me and their inanity and wishful thinking impinge on our interaction; then, they are a pain the ass.

Just seems a shame to live in fantasy land. But, to each his own.

• myelaine
    myelaine

Just seems a shame to live in fantasy land.

Terry,

Fantasy land would be a place to go to escape reality, for me being Christian has helped me see and face the real reality. At this point if I was to turn around and go back I would be returning to a fantasy land, an insulated, comfortable place, but still a fantasy land.

michelle

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

jschwehm

I find it interesting that individuals bring up the Spanish Inquisition as an example of Christianity's failure. While I am not condoning the Spanish Inquisition's excesses, I would much rather live with the excesses of the Spanish Inquisition than the excesses of the Stalinist regime which was clearly based on atheistic philosophies.

Atheism is "lack of a belief in gods"; no more. Grouping all "atheistic philosophies" together makes no more sense than grouping all non-Buddhist philosophies together. The fact that I don't believe in gods doesn't mean I have any connection with a communist dictator who may also have not believed in gods.

The Inquisition was perpetrated by people specifially claiming to Christians, acting in the name of Christ for the purpose of spreading and enforcing Christianity. But claiming to be Christian obviously doesn't make it so. Am I correct in assuming that you would denounce all those involved as unchristian, despite their claims?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit