Are Christians harmless?

by gumby 245 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Someday, we will conquer the battle over organized religion and begin the worldwide conversion to an academic, secular, scientific, and professional society based upon globally beneficial laws upon a foundation of natural principles. We will actually share this planet and it's resources.

Until then, we will be forced to "deal" with religion, religious people, religious organizations and their never-ending quest to eventually convert others to the madness of searching for peace and spirituality in idols, buildings, icons and historical figures.

It is unbelieveable that some just don't have the courage to test their own internal spirituality, or have the "guts" to think for themselves and look inside and ask what you really beleive, what you are really afraid of, and what you want in life. Instead, like co-dependent battered spouses, or drug addicts, they returning to the feeding troughs of religion and superstition.

I feel sorry for those that cannot break free. I am angry at those that know and yet persist and influence others in the same direction.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Great!!!
    Sounds just as judgemental as radical religionists.
    Gotta love Communism

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

LT:
    You'd find that book I'm reading very interesting! The similarities between "the Organisation" of the Dubs and the communists' "Angkar" are uncanny.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/77725/1.ashx

Cheers, Ozzie

• gumby
    gumby
    feel sorry for those that cannot break free. I am angry at those that know and yet persist and influence others in the same direction

I used to feel that same way untill recently when I began to wonder if religious beliefs are REALLY a detriment to individual mankind or society itself. Let's suppose religion/belief/spirituality, whatever you are refering to, was not a part of human nature. Would the world be a better place to live... generally speaking? ( lets leave out religions history on this question)

Gumby

• Valis
    Valis
    lets leave out religions history on this question

Gumblasphemous

• gumby
    gumby
    lets leave out religions

Valigions

I'm on a freakin roll baby!

Gumby

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Imagine there's no heaven
    It's easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people
    Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one

I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
    I wonder if you can
    No need for greed or hunger
    A brotherhood of man
    Imagine all the people
    Sharing all the world...

But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will live as one

• bebu
    bebu

Well, the communists proudly had the brotherhood of man, no possessions, and, of course, no religion, too. There's something very appealing (at least on paper) about an egalitarian society, and atheism, the religion of egalitarians (no religion's better than another, because all of them are illegal) is always the choice to pair with it.

Communism has been tried in a LOT of countries since 1917. But it has always ended up with sealed borders to keep people from escaping 'utopia'. A 100% failure rate. The number of political prisoners exceed all comparisons thru history. The number of deaths under all communism has dwarfed every other society as well. So, somewhere between 'theory' and 'in practice', there has been a HUGE oversight about human nature. And no one had the guts to reconsider that a true utopia includes freedom: to allow possessions (so that people can also be generous on their own accord) and to hold personal beliefs.

(Also, I wonder whose moral compass is used in such a utopian society. Would one be allowed to disagree with it, or work to change it? )

Anyway, societies based on ANY religion have had a much, much better track record, so I think any society is better off Christian or Muslim or Hindu or Buddhist, etc., than attempting to purge any/all religious influence. Belief and spirituality is a necessary component of human life and society, and purging religion from society is NOT the answer. It looked good in theory... but has NEVER worked in practice. Maybe only anarchy/terrorism could be proven to be worse (IMHO).

bebu

• gumby
    gumby
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join usAnd the world will live as one

OK John Lennon....I think you ARE a dreamer, cuz nobody I know believes any of these things will happen you mentioned in your song that isn't religious.....and you said no religion! Damn longhaired Beatle anywho!

Btw Mr. Lennon, whom is this "us" I can join? And what do you mean live as" one"? Sounds lonely.

Damn acid droppin hippy bastards

Gumby

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Damn acid droppin hippy bastards

I am wondering if you are joking about John Lennon and the things he wishes for in Imagine.

When I was a child I used to wish for the very things John mentioned in his song. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why all people didn't want the same things. Then Imagine was released and I knew I was one of the "us" John mentioned. The "us" meant people who could see beyond racial, religious and patriotic divisions of mankind to a world where people didn't care about such petty things. The "us" could see a world where everyone was like brother and sister: one big human family who lived as "one" world and not hundreds of countries and religions.

I think John imagined no religion because he saw that religion was one of the biggest dividers of people. I don't think he necessarily wanted there to be no creator. He just didn't want there to be a god or gods or goddess or goddesses who encouraged humankind's inhumanity to humankind.

Flyin'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit