Are Christians harmless?

by gumby 245 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gumby:

Lets say we drop off a million bibles to some muslims at this moment........do your words apply then

They've got the same problem as us, too. They speak Arabic

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    they were probably far more experiential, and were likely glad someone could put some kind of psuedo-logical framework around this. It would have been comforting, though it certainly seems to have caused as much argument then as it does now. The Greeks were like that, doncha know

It depends which "Greeks" you are speaking about. The lower class (slaves, hired workers) was probably much more interested in experience and would not readily ask for or submit to a rhetorical rationalization of it.

The example of Corinth is interesting, for the type of "Christianity" we can picture through the lens of the Pauline epistles is a kind of happy, disorderly, libertine, enthusiastic and charismatic Schwärmerei which exactly suits this public. And when you see how Paul deals with it you get the impression of a spoilsport or wet blanket raining on their parade, for the sake of its own agenda (i.e., making Gentile christianity about acceptable to his Jewish interlocutors).

A very interesting author to read in this perspective is Gerd Theissen, who spent much time analyzing early Christianity from a sociological standpoint (I guess most of his books have been translated into English).

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Didier:
    Thanks for the reference. This is exactly the area I am now looking into more deeply.

I've just ordered:
    "Sociology of Early Palestinian Christianity" and "The 'New Testament'".

• gumby
    gumby

All I want to know is.....who the hecks Didier:?

Gumby

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Didier is Narkissos.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    "Sociology of Early Palestinian Christianity"

I'm interested - tell me more. Send PM if ya like.

Have you read the books by Banks on first century christianity in palestine?

cheers, Ozzie

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Ozzie:It's due to arrive in two to three days time. I'll let you know how I get on with it.
    I haven't read any stuff by "Bank". Which one did you have in mind (author / work)?

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

"Paul's Idea of Community - The Early House Churches in their Historical Setting" by Robert Banks, published by Eerdmans (1988) ISBN 0 85892 098 0

"Going to Church in the First Century" by Robert Banks, published by Christian Books, Texas (1980) ISBN 0-940232-37-5

The second book is a small one of just 50 pages.

• gumby
    gumby
    "Paul's Idea of Community"

Let's say Paul was ressurected today and taken for a tour ....visiting several churches in a given city.

Do you suppose he would tell these ones to sell their buildings, give the proceeds to the needy brethren, and meet in your homes from now on? Just askin?

Gumby

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Do you suppose he would tell these ones to sell their buildings, give the proceeds to the needy brethren, and meet in your homes from now on?

Possibly. Of course, it could be argued that just because they did something in the first century doesn't mean it has to be done like that in the twenty-first with vastly increased numbers of worshippers.

You may be interested to know that the Anglican Church-Sydney Diocese is about to engage PriceWaterhouseCoopers as consultants on a study of all their properties to see whether they can do do exactly as you suggest. That's the evangelicals for you!!

Also there are vmany many house churches starting up in Oz - we have one just two doors away from our home - Mrs Ozzie and I have attended one too. There's a growing awareness in eastern Australia that christians "do church" by fellowshipping together, not simply in the historic buildings they've inherited.

Cheers, Ozzie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit