Are Christians harmless?

by gumby 245 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

LT:

MAF:Well put. Though additionally, some like to worship in a group as well as at home. We're generally gregarious creatures, wouldn't you agree?

I do agree. In fact we are biologically social creatures. Needing to be in a group was probably an evolutionary adaptation since we aren't physically a very strong species. I don't know how spirituality enters into evolution, but it is clear to me that our spirituality is also partially social, and that we will always organise groups around that, as we do around everything else.

There is something irreplaceably sublime about worshipping in a group. I don't understand how murderous fanaticism develops out of that. Maybe people confuse the sublime aspect of group worship with the more profane pleasures - inclusion, structure, approval - of group membership.

• Satanus
    Satanus
    There is something irreplaceably sublime about worshipping in a group. I don't understand how murderous fanaticism develops out of that.

It's simple, really. A reaction of wanting to defend/maintain against a group or individual, doctrine, or whatever would threaten that sublime. Out of the sublime grow controlers - priesthood, and theology. The priesthood and theology also would need to be defended. Especially as it is seen as irreplaceable.

S

• gumby
    gumby
    It's funny how none of the so-called christians and other religious adherents cannot answer a simple question. Why do they need membership in a group, and a set of rules, and the approval of other humans to exercise personal spirituality?

Why don't golfers just play by themselves since it's the individuals score that matters?

Why do AA members need to meet with other alcoholics instead of reading the damn book on their own without the aid of others?

Your question wasn't a fair one by any means.

Gumby

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    It's funny how none of the so-called christians and other religious adherents cannot answer a simple question. Why do they need membership in a group, and a set of rules, and the approval of other humans to exercise personal spirituality?

Why don't golfers just play by themselves since it's the individuals score that matters?

Of course most human beings are very social creatures. I enjoy some solitude, but too much of it drives me crazy. I prefer to go to the movies with someone though once in a while I do go alone.

I think another reason people seek out religious groups is because they realize they don't have all the answers. They are hoping that someone else has some of those answers.

I don't understand how murderous fanaticism develops out of that.

Some people are just murderous. They pop in religion. They pop up in government. They pop up everywhere. But with the Jewish and Christian religions supposedly it is wrong to murder: Thou shalt not murder. The problem is that some man (or woman) came along and added that if God tells you to murder someone it's okay to do it.

Flyin'

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

MAF:I agree. "Religion" is likely a natural manifestation of human nature, regardless of spiritual overtones?

If it weren't around we'd just replace it with another kind of grouping.
    In reality we do this with many aspects of our lives, anyway, so why should our "spirituality" be any different.

Power-play often comes to the fore in other groups, too, so why should religion be any different?

Singing takes on a completely different character, when in a group, from solo (and I'm not alluding to our dire experiences in Kingdum Hells, here).
    IMHO some of the most sublime pieces have been created for religious use. Take "Amazing Grace" as a good example.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Flyin:

I think another reason people seek out religious groups is because they realize they don't have all the answers. They are hoping that someone else has some of those answers.

Some of us know we don't have all the answers, so we like to stir the melting-pot a little by hearing other peoples opinions

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Some of us know we don't have all the answers, so we like to stir the melting-pot a little by hearing other peoples opinions

LT, I'm not sure exactly what you mean here.

Flyin'

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

???
    Isn't it self evident that I'm speaking about myself and the melting-pot of my thoughts?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

???
    Isn't it self evident that I'm speaking about myself and the melting-pot of my thoughts?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Flyin'

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Did I miss an American colloquialism?
    Did you think I was accusing someone of stirring the pot?

LT, of the "Always pleased to learn something new" class

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit