Are Christians harmless?

by gumby 245 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

LOL Narkissos! Perhaps it's just post-modern!!!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    Perhaps it's just post-modern!!!

Not really... although it might take something like "post-modernity" (even though I'm not very fond of this term) to be a "post-Christian" without being "anti-Christian".

Let me try to explain: in the modern era (from the "Enlightenment" on), you had to choose between being a Christian (and being anti-modernist) and being an enemy of religion, (while denying your own Christian inheritance). Perhaps we have now made a step forward, in that we can look back on both Christianity and modernity and see the continuity as well as the difference between them. But this may be wishful thinking as you said.

• gumby
    gumby

Nark...I used to rack my brain trying to figure where Paul was comiong from sometimes.......he was a bit sharper than I was/am.

The epistle to the Romans is a feast:

What if some were unfaithful? Will their faithlessness nullify the faithfulness of God?
    By no means!

As a side point...I'm surprised someone didn't use this scripture to show how all the injustices done "in the name of religion" really has no bearing on god or individual christians.

Gumby

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    I'm surprised someone didn't use this scripture to show how all the injustices done "in the name of religion" really has no bearing on god or individual christians.

Well... it would be far off context, but I guess it has certainly be done a number of times...

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

Narkissos,

I didn't think you were being obscure, I'm just not very up-to-speed an bible matters, I need things spelled out for me.

I'm a bit blown away by those quotes from Paul. It seems to me that if he had followed the thrust of his own logic, Christianity would be a very different religion. The view he's dismissing seems rather Taoist.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

In fairness to Paul (especially as he isn't around to defend himself) he does go on to express an argument as to why he feels each position is true.

One might delve into why he took a bias towards making certain statements about his God, and not permitting others. I personally suspect that it may be steeped in his experiential spiritual life.

• gumby
    gumby
    One might delve into why he took a bias towards making certain statements about his God, and not permitting others. I personally suspect that it may be steeped in his experiential spiritual life.

Are we saying there is error in Pauls writings?

Gumby

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

very obtuse, Gumbunctious! Yes, I'm here, still watching.

BTW, glad you got your avatar back. Much better.

Cheers, Ozzie

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Little Toe,

In fairness to Paul (especially as he isn't around to defend himself) he does go on to express an argument as to why he feels each position is true.

Yes, but IMO what he goes on to say never adequately addresses or refutes the question.

I think you're quite right on one issue, that is, the question "shall we go on sinning?" (Romans 6:1,15). For the answer here (death and new life with/in Christ) does steep in religious experience (his own or the community's). Still, there is a logical hiatus between the question and the answer.

This has to do with the parallel teachings about (1) being justified by Christ's death (= legal problem, solved in rhetorics) and (2) being saved with/in the risen Christ (religious problem, solved in mystical experience). Actually these are strictly parallel: they never meet. We could be justified without being saved. We could be saved without being justified. IMO Paul often intertwines the subjects but never logically connects them.

• gumby
    gumby

I know your still watching ozmeister....I can feel your eyes on me while I'm typing and it's kinda giving me the willy's......now stop it!

Actually my point was.....if Pauls writings are truely inspired, I doubt there would be problems in his writings ...although I understand individual personality goes along with a writer and is evident in their writing style.

Anyway....I don't want to debate anything on this thread too much.......just wanted to know how others felt about Christians being harmless or not. Btw.......I think there have been some good, positive answers by many here on this subject eh?

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit