Are Christians harmless?

by gumby 245 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gumby
    gumby
    They tried beating up people who got pregnant and caught STDS. That got to be tiresome and they didn't like broken knuckles and stuff. Soooo, they came up with the idea of building cages to put the offenders in. It ended up being too costly and smelly and took up a lot of room. Soooo, they held a meeting and came up with another solution. What was that?

Tell people that God will burn them forever if they don't stop getting pregnant and coming up with cooties

Heather.....you bring up something else that has bothered me for some time and wanting to know answers to. I should bring it up in another thread but I'll say it now and see how it does in this thread.

Notice the word "they" in in your above post?

Many claim/feel that the bible writers somehow PURPOSELY concocted some of the bible with evil intent. I assume the they you mean in your above post was the bible writers correct?

I do not know if this is true or not....I have no idea. My gut feeling is the O.T. writers didn't write these things you mentioned because there was a prevaling problem they couldn't control and so they decided they would make up a story how god told them something and" this is the way it will be now"....and included it in the bible to control people.

Other cultures have many of the same values as the jews/christians and practice many of the same lifestyles. If it were true the bible writers did this control thing.....then we would have to assume other cultures do the same thing on the same premises.............I think

Perhaps some of the more brainy smarter bastards can help us out on this one. Pretty please

Gumby

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

jschwehm, you sure do seem to feel confident speaking for god! Tell us, are you god? If you're not, why do you feel so confident telling people what god wants or doesn't want and what god does or doesn't do? With all due respect, how the hell do you know?

• gumby
    gumby
    With all due respect, how the hell do you know?

Archie Bunker bastard!

lmao!

Laughin at six jeff, not you.

Gumby

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

I find that ALL religious labels are potentially harmful. It is only a question of time. No matter how altruistic, pacifistic, humanitarian any religious person might be, the simple fact is that all forms of religion practice with PREJUDICE and ARROGANCE!

Yes, I said it. No human that has ever lived on this planet has been proven to be the source of the universe, nature or creation. Thus, it takes quite a bit of presumption and arrogance to create belief systems that exaplin the unexplainable, create labels, writings and establish rules for other humans that were not created directly by anyone.

So, even the Dalai Lama, Ghandi and Jesus expected adherents to adopt their thinking or emulate their lifestyle and accept a label. Humans should practice the noble things they admire in religion from the heart, without prompting, without being told and whether or not anyone is noticing or giving a reward. You don't need to worship anyone, follow anyone or have a label to practice kindness, mercy, love etc. Membership is not a requirement for practicing love. It's all a weakness and coping mechanism.

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

If you want the world to be a better place, and want a better life, then start now and become the change you are trying to find elsewhere inside a building or thru another human. Start making life better, give, support, love, help, etc.. Who is stopping any of you and why do you need validation from religion? It is so illogical and pathetic.

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Besides, none of us wait for other humans or religious people to tell us when to use the bathroom, when to eat, when to breathe, etc. So, why do we always need to be told to practice good? Think about it. It really is a weakness.

• gumby
    gumby
    the simple fact is that all forms of religion practice with PREJUDICE and ARROGANCE!

Do you think all christians act arrogant?

Thus, it takes quite a bit of presumption and arrogance to create belief systems that exaplin the unexplainable,

99.9% of christians didn't create christianity, so why would these be arrogant?

Membership is not a requirement for practicing love. It's all a weakness and coping mechanism.

So you think all christians and other believers are weak?....and that they are believers so they can cope? Cope with what?

Gumby

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Hey Gumby, you're being too fair!!!

BTW I think you're right! Struth, mark that one for the records, eh?

Cheers, ozzie (of the getting too old for this class)

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gumby:
    I've got to agree with you too.

Perhaps some of the more brainy smarter bastards can help us out on this one. Pretty please

I don't know about falling into that category, coz you're a smart guy (you just hide it real well ).

I take the bible as a collection of experiences.
    People interpreted their surroundings and spiritual experiences in a certain way, and recorded them thus.
    It was written over a period of 700 - 1600 years (depending on who you believe) so the idea of having a consistent agenda of human control is a bit of a tenuous argument, to my mind.

As you rightly point out, there are distinct parallels with non-Middle Eastern cultures.
    Most of it seems consumed with the concept of being right with their deity, rather than things like taxation and power-wielding.
    That seems to come even more into the fore, when you get to the New Testament...

UR:
    You're trying to make Jedi, aren't you
    Busted!!!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Notice the word "they" in in your above post?

I wasn't referring to the Bible specifically here. If you want to apply it to the Bible, I don't necessarily mean Bible writers. If the Bible really is from God and he did inspire men to write it down, then they would mean unscrupulous translators.

Many claim/feel that the bible writers somehow PURPOSELY concocted some of the bible with evil intent. I assume the they you mean in your above post was the bible writers correct?

You mentioned other religions and cultures. I do believe that fear of God punishing people, torturing people is not something that God intended. I believe it is a tool discovered by men and maybe a woman or two that works very well to scare people into behaving and giving money to churches, synagogues, etc.

I don't think that God is evil. Unless he is like the God churches teach about who murders and tortures people for eternity for simply being confused about who the heck is telling the truth down here.

Like Utopia brought out, people generally know already what good is and don't need to be scared into being good: they need only listen to their inner voice of conscience. I don't think God wants people scared into behaving or "loving" him. I do believe that is soley the invention of human beings who want to control other people as well as themselves. They make God sound like a great big abusive parent. I know, I had an abusive parent.

Take the domination of women by men: today we know that though men and women differ in some ways, this in no way makes women inferior in every way. Men have their strengths and women have their strengths. So why did many religions teach that women had to be subservient? And why do some of them still teach this? I believe that it's because men are generally bigger and stronger than women and it's just easier for them if women quietly obey. I also think it's easier for most women to resist sex. Women can get pregnant so it seems someone put a mechanism inside their heads that makes them stop and think before they let just anyone be the father of their babies. Because of that natural hesitency, it's easier for women to say no. So if you convince a woman that God is going to punish her if she doesn't obey you then she will serve you and service you anytime you want it.

Mind you, I do know several women who have stronger drives than their husbands and it's the husbands who are saying no.That can apply to boyfriends, too.

In my JWD profile I state which scripture of the Bible I can trust for sure. I think it the most profound of any scripture.

Flyin'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit