Are Christians harmless?

by gumby 245 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

~rushes to read Flyin's profile~

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

See, Little Toe, I haven't totally written off the Bible. I measure everything in it against that scripture. If it isn't loving then it isn't from God. And if people aren't loving then they don't know God and surely cannot represent him.

Flyin'

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

There's hope for us all then!

Sending greetings from the land upside down,

cheers, ozzie

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Flyin:
    Sounds like I'm not the only eclectic one around here

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

This ain't fair! You're all wide-eyed and bushy tailed up there but down here it's the early hours and i'm tired and I couldn't even say eclectic right now! S'pose it's good, eh?

Cheers from down here,

Ozzie

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Flyin:
    Sounds like I'm not the only eclectic one around here

I guess not.

AOL Dictionary:

Eclectic

Main Entry: [1]eclec·tic
    Pronunciation: e-'klek-tik, i-
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Greek eklektikos, from eklegein to select, from ex- out + legein to gather ?more at LEGEND
    Date: 1683
    1 : selecting what appears to be best in various doctrines, methods, or styles
    2 : composed of elements drawn from various sources; also : HETEROGENEOUS
    - eclec·ti·cal·ly /-ti-k(&-)lE/ adverb

Pronunciation Key

© 2001 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated
    Merriam-Webster Privacy Policy

Flyin'

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Ozzie:What are you doing up so late?
    It's nearly 3:30pm here.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

This ain't fair! You're all wide-eyed and bushy tailed up there but down here it's the early hours and i'm tired and I couldn't even say eclectic right now! S'pose it's good, eh?

Cheers from down here,

Ozzie

It's 10:22 AM here. If you are on the eastern side of Australia then it must be around...(runs to the World Time Zone map) around 11:26 or 12:26 PM. Time to go put on your nightshirt and cap and snuggle up with your pillows. Sweet, sweet dreams.

Flyin'

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I'm waiting on a phone call from the UK but it looks like I may have to retire gracefully. My eyes are drooping and my busted up hand is just tapping wherever it will over this keyboard!

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

Unless he is like the God churches teach about who murders and tortures people for eternity for simply being confused about who the heck is telling the truth down here.

Hi Gumby:

The Christian God does not do what is being described above. The Catholic Church teaches the following in paragraph 847:

"Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience-these too may achieve eternal salvation."

God saves whomever chooses to love Him. He meets us where we are and is more interested in us and our lives than we are.

The Bible is simply a collection of books that the Catholic Church says is consistent with the Traditional Teachings of Christianity handed down to us from the Apostles. To understand the Bible we must understand the religious tradition that handed the Bible on to us.

The Old Testament records events that are terrible according to our 21st Century sensibilities. The writers of the Old Testament lived in a different time period and a very different culture. God worked through that culture and time period to reach out to people through the nation of Israel. Today, God works through our culture through Christ and His Church to reach out to people.

The destruction of those nations by the Israelites was done because God had pronounced judgment on them. Since God knows all, He knew the hearts of everyone there and whether they wanted to spend eternity with Him or not. Of course, there are those who asked for mercy and received it. There are countless examples of non-Israelites who chose God. These include the prostitute Rahab, the Moabite Ruth, Caleb, etc.

I am convinced that God loves us MORE than we love ourselves. Plus, God's love is unconditional. Even those individuals who choose to be eternally separated from God are loved by God. In a sense, hell is a merciful provision from God because those who through their free will choose to live in a state of complete separation from God are still allowed to exist through God's mercy.

Hi Six of Nine:

No, I am not god. I am simply explaining to Gumby and others what the Christian Church teaches about God and His nature through Divine Revelation...(Scripture and Sacred Tradition). I apologize if my writing comes across as cocky or arrogant. I do not mean to come across that way.

I am as you are. Searching, learning, and discovering more and more each day about God and His love for us through my life experiences, prayer, and ALOT of reading particularly in the area of philosophy, theology, and Church History.

Of course as with anyone, there are LOTS of things about God, life, my soul, that I have questions about and that I am unsure about. In many ways, I am like the man who said to Jesus "I do believe, help my unbelief!" (Mark 9:24).

I apologize if I said anything that offended you. My point to Gumby and others is that the Christian God that I worship loves all of you unconditionally whether you are Hindu, Buddhist, Atheist, Agnostic, Gay, Bi-sexual, Heterosexual, Divorced, Married, Single, JW, Protestant, Catholic, Jewish, etc.

Jeff S.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit