What are Americans taught about U.S and what do you really believe?

by sleepy 160 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Crazy:

Maybe if you were allowed to own guns you wouldnt have been royalties little pansies for such a long time? It didnt take us that long to get rid of your silly king.

Sorry to point out the obvious, but you WERE Brit's until 1776!!!
    The king was effectively "got rid of" by arms bearers lead by Barons in 1225 (Magna Carta) and by Cromwell, in 1653 (dissolution of Parliment).

If you want to study your own history you'll find it impossible to go far without studying ours, since it becomes conjoined prior to 1776 (which aint that long ago). Why do you think we call each other cousins?

Now taking this back to the thread title: "What are Americans taught about U.S and what do you really believe?", may I ask, were you really taught that "It didnt take us that long to get rid of your silly king.", given that the Pilgrim Fathers landed in 1620?

• Paxil
    Paxil

Americans are taught that the United States is the greatest nation on earth. The Richest. The land of the Free and the home of the Brave. We are taught that we are the most generous and charitable nation. That anyone man can become president. That anyone can become wealthy. That we have freedom of speech and worship without fear of retribution. The most beautiful and diverse melting pot of ethnicity. The statue of liberty says give us your poor and wretched.

Personally, I would close our borders to Illegals. Make entry into our country more careful and borrow from Canada and provide healthcare for everyone. Thin out the prison problem with executions of murderers and pedophiles. Iit wouldn't take too long for the fear of death to deter alot of crimes. Mandatory military service for thieves and hard druggies under 35yrs.old (That sounds un-american) Legalize small amounts of Marijuana for home use, public intoxication of marijuana would still be illegal just like alchohol, possesion of the legal amount in public would be similiar to open container violation for booze. Stricter laws for other drugs. Including mandatory mental health help for hard druggies. Clean up Television and in the case of music, If it has degrading to women or filled with hate, it wouldn't be carried in stores or promoted by the Industry. It would have to promoted privately on websites or at concerts, they would have to do it by the underground. No television airplay or radio. Word of mouth etc...

The entertainment industry should promote a positive message, what an experiment that would be...What would positive influences for a change do to our kids and society? maybe make it a little bit nicer and peaceful.

Less junk foods in our markets makeing people fat and obese. More veggies and fruits. Turn Fast food restaurants into more expensive restaurants with a completelt different menu of real food.

Well - You asked me what I think about it.

I don't think we are "better than anyone else" I think we are just as good as anyone. Human nature is the determining factor. Humanity has a dark side and we need to try hard to maintain decency to improve ourselves. We are easily influenced by messages that we recieve however.

Someone once said - "Junk in - Junk out" If you let negative messages in, they will effect you in some way at some time :)

America has it's ups and downs, but so does every other country in existance. You will find evil people and negative stereotypes everywhere.

Do Britains or Parisians feel inferior to Americans or is that the image you think we project in our media and government? Do you feel you are somehow better than us - socially or morally?

Thanks

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Little,

Yes we were 'technically' Brits before 1776, but being the majority of the people here were (still are?) religous nuts/criminals/prostitutes that the British didnt want, were we really Brits? While the good ol' king lost some of his Boom with the Magna Carta etc..etc.. he still had some say in things . At least Bush pays taxes

Note for example, in the EU you can live and work in any country.
    I could leave Britain tomorrow and move to Italy and get a job, no questions asked, I could if bored move to Spain, or Germany. Or any other EU country. That?s a very valuable freedom.

I can move from California, to Nevada, to Texas, to New York, to Vermont, etc...etc..etc... The US is made up of 50 seperate countries. The EU is really a clone of the United States.

Basicly all of the 'Freedoms' EU members now have we've had for the past 200+ years

And now what were we taught in school:

The Brits were bad and mean to us so took them on and won! (ok barely, thank you French for the help. Alot of it was about Money.

How are we supposed to sum up 16 years of Education in one post?

I believe that we a collection of 50 Countries that has been giving more and more power to our central government. I believe that our Melting Pot of cultures is what makes us so strong. That is the one thing that the EU will always lack. Cultural diversity. You just dont have the mix of people. While that causes many of our problems it also leads to our great inovation.

What do we believe? On the inside? Now you might think that this is for the 'neo-cons','right wingers' etc..etc..but remember there is a little bit of this in ALL Americans:

Gadsden Don't Tread on Me flag

• betty boop
    betty boop

im confused by a post by Country Girl on the first page of this thread. You say that if you are canadian or from the USA then you are american but if you are latino or black than you are still american even if you're parents arent? I dont get that because if youre CANADIAN you are not american althought you are from North America, but if you're from Colombia that you are latin but arent you an american as well cuz it is in LATIN america isnt it? So esentially yea youre right we are all american by birth but not by blood.. NO ONE in this country is a native..everyone came from somewhere else even if youve lived here for 10 generations. So to claim that someone cannot include their bloodline or ethnicity with their national birth place in their personal description is ridiculous because no one here can have that "luxury" everyone has a bloodline from somewhere else. So the "white" people are still irish-american, italian-american, polish-american OR african-american (and yes some people do know what tribe they came from) Latin-american (cuz you could have parent from south american or the carribean or Spain and be LATIN born in america) OR chinese-american. It just doesnt make sense. I dont think anyone should be treated speacial, but to think we shouldnt recognize what is the core of this country which IS immigration is preposterous and ignorant...

Thank you

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

I believe that I can watch this video:

http://www.otep.com/warhead/

Without ANY fear. Patriot Act my ass.

• ballistic
    ballistic
    Maybe if you were allowed to own guns you wouldnt have been royalties little pansies for such a long time? It didnt take us that long to get rid of your silly king.

I suppose we all migrated at some point to our various countires at some point in Ancient History.

Whether it be "out of Eden" or "out of Africa" depending on whether you believe the bible or not.

Perhaps the above quote should read, "It didnt take us that long to get rid of your silly jehovah"

• sleepy
    sleepy

"Americans are taught that the United States is the greatest nation on earth. The Richest. The land of the Free and the home of the Brave. We are taught that we are the most generous and charitable nation. That anyone man can become president. That anyone can become wealthy. That we have freedom of speech and worship without fear of retribution. The most beautiful and diverse melting pot of ethnicity. The statue of liberty says give us your poor and wretched." You got to laught at that. The only thing that is true is the richest.But not in relation to population, there are many nations smaller that The US but with higher average incomes. "I can move from California, to Nevada, to Texas, to New York, to Vermont, etc...etc..etc... The US is made up of 50 separate countries. The EU is really a clone of the United States.' You're being very misleading there. These states have never been separate countries with their own government language and culture. The point anyway is that there are freedoms enjoyed by other nations as great or greater than the US. Another example we have a National Health Service in Britain. Health care is free for everyone. Now that?s a powerful freedom. The Dutch have Drugs and brothels the Germans can speed doen their motorways at whatever speed they like. And the list goes on.

• sleepy
    sleepy

Why is every thing I post bunching up into one paragraph????

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker
    These states have never been separate countries with their own government language and culture.

No, they are seperate STATES. But they do act like Countries. Each state is always duking it out with other states over federal money, water rights, land rights, "dont put that toxic waste here", etc..etc.. we are not as collective as you think.

Each state has a seperate governemnt. Different police force, taxes, laws, economic policies, immigration policies, drug policies, health care policies, etc..etc..etc..

No seperate Culture? LOL!!! Now that is funny! Here in California alone we have the So Cal culture (little mexico, mixed with hollywood, surfers, and gangs), the Hippie Santa Cruz and Berkley crowd, the Upper Scale Northern San Fran East Bay, the Liberal San Fran, the Hillbilly Mountain folk, the dirt poor central valley with its farming, the way north lets grow pot all day..etc..etc... And that is JUST in California! If you cannot understand that then you will never understand America.

And as far as Universal Health Care, and Drug zones those are RECENT additions, once again we've had these rights for the past 200+ years.........

This is pointless. If you cannot understand that the US is really 50 different countries with a common (we'll at least English based) language then you will never understand what we believe and what we are taught.

Edited to Add:

Yes, many of our states were part of a different country and spoke a different language. Texas, California, New Mexico, Arizona were all part of Mexico. Alaska was part of Russia, Florida was part of Spain, the entire Mid US was owned by France. Cajun's anyone? Hawaii was taken over by the English and English is not the native tounge of Hawaii.

• sleepy
    sleepy

If you really think these are cultures than you really havent had much experience of the rest of the world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit