What are Americans taught about U.S and what do you really believe?

by sleepy 160 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Xena
    Xena

Sorry sleepy for my error....assumptions tend to make us look like such asses, don't they?

Wales hhhmmm?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/history/sites/nation/pages/new_nation02.shtml

A new nation? - part two

Protest

One factor in that acculturation was the extensive migration from England, particularly to rural areas and to the northern coastal resorts, a development which leads to arson attacks upon second homes owned by non-Welsh people. Central to the concerns of many is the decrease in the proportion of the inhabitants of Wales able to speak Welsh, a proportion which declined from 29% in 1951 to 18% in 1991.

Such concerns led to the establishment in 1962 of Cymdeithas yr Iaith Gymraeg (the Welsh Language Society) which was prepared to break the law in order to secure an official status for the Welsh language. Among the developments in which the society's activities played a part were the provision of Welsh official forms and road signs, the establishment of the Welsh Language Board and the recognition of Welsh as a core subject in the National Curriculum.
    In the 1970s agitation by the society and others created a consensus in favour of a Welsh language television channel, but it took Gwynfor Evans's threat that he would go on hunger strike before the channel was launched in 1982. Curiously, Welsh-language militancy causes the language to be less rather than more of a political issue. It loomed large in the referendum of 1979 and then hardly at all in that of 1997.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/8366/welsh.html

Wales

Like the Saami, the Welsh have pushed for cultural rights to the point that Cymraeg (Welsh) is now the language of instruction in a large number of northern schools. But this cultural distinctiveness has not lent itself to an ongoing push for greater political independence. Through civil disobedience, small militant groups, such as Y Gweriniaethwyr (the Free Wales Army) and the Workers' Army of the Welsh Republic, have continued to wage their own little wars against the English since a resurgence in Welsh nationalism in the early 1950s. Between 1979 and 1984, over 100 violent incidents, primarily arson and bomb attacks, were attributed to just one group, the Mudiad Amddiffyn Cymru, or Movement for the Defense of Wales.(11) The current nationalist party was formed in 1925 when several self-government groups joined to form Plaid Cymru, which continues to hold seats in Parliament.

When voting information is taken into account, cultural nationalism seems to have cooled off since the 80's. This is most likely due to the large immigration of English speakers into Wales. Cultural aspects, such as language are no longer an integral part of Welsh identity, as recent surveys have shown, and thus are not prioritized in political behavior. Plaid Cymru has lost much of its support to the Labour Party. As Balsom, Madgwick , and Van Mechelen said, "Welsh identity is widespread but falls short of nationalism in the strict sense. .Even among the most intensely Welsh there is no consistent strong commitment to Plaid Cymru, to devolution or to self-government." Those people with high cultural attachment, the Cymrics, are not the backbone of Welsh nationalism as they once had been.(12)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.shef.ac.uk/~surc/politics/Welsh_Nationalism.html

Welsh Nationalism

Welsh Nationalism has developed significantly over the last two centuries. The origins of Wales date back to Germanic invasions after the collapse of the Roman Empire, Celtic kingdoms in the region, joined together to fight off the invading tribes. Due to its rugged landscape, Wales never became one political unit, before being amalgamated into the English political system in 1536.

However, the cultural and religious traits left by the Celtic kingdoms has had a lasting effect and created a regional distinctiveness. Up until the late 19 th century, most of the Welsh population spoke a Celtic language. This was however eroded through the education of the English language.

During the nineteenth and twentieth century, Wales experienced a cultural and religious revival. The Nonconformist churches penetrated into Wales, and from the mid-1800s, the call for disestablishment of the Anglican Church gathered pace, up until 1920 when the Welsh demand was finally met. The promotion of the Welsh language began around 1885 with the establishment of the first Welsh Language Society. As the Twentieth century progressed, schools began to teach in Welsh, especially in the Northwest of the country. By the turn of the twentieth century, a special Welsh language TV station had been set up and Welsh had been firmly integrated into the school curriculum up to the GCSE level.

The Welsh Nationalist movements also came into being during the late nineteenth century renaissance. Cymru Fydd (Young Wales) was set up in 1886, the main objective being self-government for Wales. This wasn?t a particularly successful movement. Its successor was the National Party (to become known as Plaid Cymru) which was set up in 1925. It had similar principles to Cymru Fydd. Dominion status for Wales was its basic aim. The group initially proposed to not stand for Westminster elections, however this was rejected. Welsh nationalists on the whole differ to their Scottish counterparts on the basic principle of the United Kingdom. The SNP today, still want a fully independent Scotland today, whereas Plaid Cymru (their views have changed) believe in self-governance but not complete independence. Many Welsh Nationalists believe that Wales would be economically weaker outside the union, unlike the SNP.

From the 1950s, the call for devolution in Wales grew in popularity The general Conservative dominance of Westminster last century was not representative of the Welsh people. The Welsh Office set up in 1965 was not enough. A referendum was held in the 1970s resulting in a no for devolution. However in 1997, Wales voted (only half of Wales voted and the majority vote was only 50.3%) for devolution. A Welsh Assembly has been created with significant political powers. It does not have the tax raising ability of the Scottish Parliament, which is a bone of contention amongst Welsh Nationalists.

Welsh Nationalism

Welsh Nationalism has developed significantly over the last two centuries. The origins of Wales date back to Germanic invasions after the collapse of the Roman Empire, Celtic kingdoms in the region, joined together to fight off the invading tribes. Due to its rugged landscape, Wales never became one political unit, before being amalgamated into the English political system in 1536.

However, the cultural and religious traits left by the Celtic kingdoms has had a lasting effect and created a regional distinctiveness. Up until the late 19 th century, most of the Welsh population spoke a Celtic language. This was however eroded through the education of the English language.

During the nineteenth and twentieth century, Wales experienced a cultural and religious revival. The Nonconformist churches penetrated into Wales, and from the mid-1800s, the call for disestablishment of the Anglican Church gathered pace, up until 1920 when the Welsh demand was finally met. The promotion of the Welsh language began around 1885 with the establishment of the first Welsh Language Society. As the Twentieth century progressed, schools began to teach in Welsh, especially in the Northwest of the country. By the turn of the twentieth century, a special Welsh language TV station had been set up and Welsh had been firmly integrated into the school curriculum up to the GCSE level.

The Welsh Nationalist movements also came into being during the late nineteenth century renaissance. Cymru Fydd (Young Wales) was set up in 1886, the main objective being self-government for Wales. This wasn?t a particularly successful movement. Its successor was the National Party (to become known as Plaid Cymru) which was set up in 1925. It had similar principles to Cymru Fydd. Dominion status for Wales was its basic aim. The group initially proposed to not stand for Westminster elections, however this was rejected. Welsh nationalists on the whole differ to their Scottish counterparts on the basic principle of the United Kingdom. The SNP today, still want a fully independent Scotland today, whereas Plaid Cymru (their views have changed) believe in self-governance but not complete independence. Many Welsh Nationalists believe that Wales would be economically weaker outside the union, unlike the SNP.

From the 1950s, the call for devolution in Wales grew in popularity The general Conservative dominance of Westminster last century was not representative of the Welsh people. The Welsh Office set up in 1965 was not enough. A referendum was held in the 1970s resulting in a no for devolution. However in 1997, Wales voted (only half of Wales voted and the majority vote was only 50.3%) for devolution. A Welsh Assembly has been created with significant political powers. It does not have the tax raising ability of the Scottish Parliament, which is a bone of contention amongst Welsh Nationalists.

Although Welsh Nationalism is a significant theme within Wales, it has failed to be hugely effective. This is due to the geographical problems. The East is far more anglicised than the west. The South is the industrial, Labour heartland where English is the predominant language. It is only really in the Northwest, where Welsh Nationalism is strong. The problem here is that, it is the least populated area. Welsh Nationalism although important, has never created such enthusiasm in comparison to the SNP in Scotland. This situation however may change, and so it has significant role to play within Welsh and British politics. This is due to the geographical problems. The East is far more anglicised than the west. The South is the industrial, Labour heartland where English is the predominant language. It is only really in the Northwest, where Welsh Nationalism is strong. The problem here is that, it is the least populated area. Welsh Nationalism although important, has never created such enthusiasm in comparison to the SNP in Scotland. This situation however may change, and so it has significant role to play within Welsh and British politics.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau
    (Land of My Fathers)

The Welsh National Anthem

It is believed that a weaver from Mid Glamorgan, Evan James, wrote the words one morning in January 1856 to a tune composed by his son James James. The date of the song's adoption as the national anthem is subject to debate, but it is known that the tune was given prominence in 1874, and since that date has been considered the song which expresses Welsh nationalism. Hear The Melody Here...

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi,
    Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri;
    Ei gwrol ryfelwyr, gwladgarwyr tra mâd,
    Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed.

Chorus:
    Gwlad, Gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.
    Tra môr yn fur i'r bur hoff bau,
    O bydded i'r hen iaith barhau.

Hen Gymru fynyddig, paradwys y bardd,
    Pob dyffryn, pob clogwyn i'm golwg sydd hardd;
    Trwy deimlad gwladgarol, mor swynol yw si
    Ei nentydd, afonydd i mi.

Os treisiodd y gelyn fy ngwald tan ei droed,
    Mae hen iaith y Cymry mor fyw ac erioed,
    Ni luddiwyd yr awen gan erchyll law brad,
    Na thelyn berseiniol fy ngwlad.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As was brought out by other posters nationalism is universal. It also tends to cycle depending on what is going on in the world, the country and other internal circumstances.

You have heard from quite a few posters here that have answered the questions you asked but you disregard them, if you prefer to believe what you read and hear from other sources that is your choice. But do not ask us to take the time to give you our personal experiences as citizens of the US only to have them disbelieved or discredited.

Reminds me of when I sometimes chat with someone who "knows" a JW...and the conversation is something like...

Me: Yes I used to be a JW

Them: Really I have a friend who has a cousin who is one....so why they don't they believe in Jesus anyway

Me: They do

Them: Well my friend's cousin said they don't

Me: Ok well I used to be one and I'm telling you they do...

Them: Well all I know is what they told me...and they are Jehovah's Witnesses

Me: Are you sure? Because I'm telling you they believe in Jesus and I was one for over 20 years. Maybe you are confused because they put emphasis on Jehovah and not Jesus. Jesus being God's Son and not God himself.

Them: Yes they are Jehovah's Witnesses...

Me: Maybe you misunderstood them....

Them: No I'm sure they said they are Jehovahs't Witnesses and they don't believe in Jesus

Me: *sigh* ok then believe what you want.....

Better to believe uncertain "sources" than hearing it right from the "horse's mouth" so to speak, apparently.....

• Xena
    Xena

btw

YOU ARE ENGLISH, RIGHT? No I'm Welsh.

if you weren't proud of the fact you are welsh....you probably wouldn't have felt the need to point this out to me, you would have just commented on the point of my post....

• gypsywildone
    gypsywildone

You are correct Xena. There are a lot of "right fighters" on this forum. They either know nothing, but pretend that they do, or they have an agenda. Either way, they fire off posts & wind everyone up, because they just want to be "right". I said this early on, this original "question" was designed to attack or belittle the USA. This person didn't want any answers, he just wanted to prove something.

Someone else on here defended it, so I tried to give the original intent the benefit of the doubt. But this person clealry had an agenda from the beginning.

I can't for the life of me figure out why the US is so fascinating to Europeans. Don't they have their own politics & lives? Can't they critique their own cities? Is there nothing happening in the lives of these people?

Every nation has pride & nationalism. Plainly & simply. Is there nothing of substance to report on the news in these countries? Are they so bored they continuously have to obsess on America?

This unproductive garbage is fouling up the air at jw.com.

up the atmosphere here at jw.com.

• sleepy
    sleepy

Actually I'm agaisnt welsh nationalism,but thats a long story.I have no hidden adgender just like discussing "dangerous topics".I've never made the claim that other nations are not nationalistic, the point was that strong American nationalism often comes across in the media , more than I notice for other countries and want to know what the basis is.If you dont belive that this is a geniuine observation fair enough.I feel some people are reading far too much into what I've posted.I cant see how anyone can deny that saluting the flag of your country as a child cannot effect many peoples beliefs systems.Who said this would effect every one?

• sleepy
    sleepy

"if you weren't proud of the fact you are welsh....you probably wouldn't have felt the need to point this out to me, you would have just commented on the point of my post...." No, the basis of the aurgument used was that I was English.It says I'm welsh in my details beside my posts.

• sleepy
    sleepy

That Gypsy women is so funny.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Part of attaining an ideal is to vocalize it. If we continue to uphold freedom as the ideal, then at some level we strive towards it. Or we feel ashamed for fighting it. Either way, by identifyiing a defender of freedom with a good American, then all those Americans who do not uphold freedom lose the moral highground.

CZAR

• sleepy
    sleepy

Seams That flag saluting IS a matter of law after all.About half the states have laws encouraging giving alligence to the flag others also have a number of laws detailing what is required in regarding Flag saluting and the exceptions.Their are other requirment such as having the flag in the classroom, and reciting the national anthem.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

No one is required to salute the flag or say the Pledge in this country.

• sleepy
    sleepy

Some states require that in publicly funded schools must the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America is recited in at least one scheduled class of every pupil enrolled in that school no less often than once per week. No student shall be required to recite the Pledge of Allegiance.They may abstain for religious reasons.
    Can't find information yet on other reasons for absatining.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit