What are Americans taught about U.S and what do you really believe?

by sleepy 160 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Sleepy:

Proclaiming ourselves the "land of the free" would not be an exercise in imagination. That is why there is so much infighting in our country, because there are so many different cultures, religons, and sociocultures represented, and we all don't get along. We are not THE land of the free, perhaps, but A land of the free.

What I find interesting is that there are so many people that want to come to this country, take the citizenship test, and yet want to proclaim themselves "african americans" even though they weren't BORN in Africa, and don't even KNOW the tribe they come from in Africa; people that want to say they are Latin Americans, and they weren't born in a Latin country.

People.. we are *all* Americans. If you were born in the United States or Canada, you are American. You aren't African-American unless you were born there and you hold dual citizenship. Why should I give special recognition to persons that are black, or Latino, or whatever, because their ANCESTRY puts them as having come from another country, namely Africa.

My Father came from another country, too. He doesn't demand any special social graces cuz he's an immigrant, and neither should YOU. If you come to this country, you should learn the language and you should try to fit in. If Americans don't do it in YOUR country, does that make it right? I am going to France in November and I am madly trying to learn French so that I can have a modicum of decency and respect...

Please.. don't thinkj all us Americans are swine.. we are nice people with big hearts.

CG

• sleepy
    sleepy

If the impression is often given though that America sees itself that way , then likely there is some truth behind that impression. Why have i heard amercian presidents procliam that their country is the "leader of the free world" if that is not an institutionalised idea?

• blondie
    blondie

No, sleepy, just like you don't want people in the US to judge you by the statements made by Blair and others in the British government, you can understand why it would not be realistic to characterize 260 million people by what George Bush says, John Kerry says, Dennis Hastert says, Arnold Schwarzenegger says, etc., etc.

All you have heard is what these people say in the media or worse yet how the media interprets what they have said.

Blondie

• Paxil
    Paxil

You Live in Wales - Most likely you know about the Freemason connection to the founding of America. That is never really taught in school. It's glossed over. United States is basically a place where certain freedoms are granted, perhaps more so that in other countries, specifically freedom of speech and the right to be a sucessful capitalist. The many masonic landmarks and presidential and judicial connections are obvious. Including the Flag and the back of our currency. Nuff said. America is the Land of the Secret Society. A government within a government :)

The greater freedom we have is the freedom to have high morality or not. Our News Media is essentially owned by one man. Fair and Balanced? I think not. Alot of people are brainwashed by TV. It plays a huge role in ingraining peoples opinions. Unless you really pay attention to media from around the world and independant media, you get pigion-holed views. Some people are ok with that, however.

The 2000 election was essentially a fraud. He was appointed by the supreme court members who were his daddy's friends. The Neo-Conservatives are essentially a party that caters to corporate america and has passed laws which give polluters more leeway, while giving incentives to companies to ship jobs out of the country to promote the "Global Econmy" This promotes higher unemployment rolls. The unemployed youth then join the military as a last resort to survive because they can't find work and participate in the wars they create, while they get richer thru business investments in the companies that support the war machine. This is the ugly face of the division of those who have power and those who have not. It plays out in many countries other than america. It's a very old scheme.

The great thing about america is it's still the best "Rigged" Roulette Wheel going right now.

Can anyone become President? I seriously doubt it. The higher levels of the political system are for the rich and elite and the "Good Ole' Boy Network" makes sure it stays that way.

In america you don't have to take part in any politics or religion...you can live your whole life working, raising a family and enjoying what free time you have in a domestic way. Vacation and all the other wonderful things. Leave the workings of the country to somebody else and that's the way they like it :)

Our television is filled with crime shows and murders and sex. Surprise! that then finds it way in increasing levels into our society and we call it a liberal forward thinking society? A slick, Hip progressive society. It's just programming the masses to accept a future scenerio of ever increasing violence, fear and lack of sexual restraint. We are a modern society is what we are told. Starting to look alot like Old Rome to me.

God Bless America -

What was the question again?

• edge3
    edge3

I was kidding Blondie.

And where are the French when we need them now?

• blondie
    blondie

edge3, I figured that. Yes, considering the past relationship of the US with the French, what happened?

to the French.

Blondie

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

"The land of the free"? In comparison to the countries from which man Americans (or their ancestors) came, it's true. And it's part of the reason for the colonists to declare their independence from England in 1776.

And yes, saluting the flag is commonplace. I know that my kids do it each morning at school, and at Scout meetings, ball games, car races, and many other events. But they're also free to decide whether to salute or not.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O
    to the French.

Blondie, is that a French kiss?

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg
    Just wondering what exactly Americans (U.S.A) are taught about their country in school .Do you really salute a flag, do you swear allegiance to the country. Are you taught that you fought for freedom, and that America is THE land of the free, etc etc? Do you actually believe what you are taught?

Flag salute: Yes.

Swear allegiance: Yes, and I also say the eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-vil words "under God." Though I don't think those words should be included in the pledge.

That I "personally" fought for freedom: No, I didn't personally fight in any war. Though my grandfather fought in WW2 in Europe (in order for French persons to spit on Lance Armstrong)

That the U.S. is the "land of the free": Yes.

Do I actually believe this: Yes, Sleepy, I as an ignorant and uneducated American (per Michael Moore) and product of American public eductaion (which most persons of the political bent of Mr. Moore support) still believe these axioms.

Why do you ask? Are we not allowed to believe as we wish? Or should we meld into what the Euro has become? An amalgamtion of spineless jellyfish.

LABD

Edited to add: You know sleepy, the UK's history on dealing with ingenious people is not as good as you think it is.

Oh, I forgot, only the U.S. is ever guilty of anything, and perpetually holds that guilt.

• sleepy
    sleepy

"No, sleepy, just like you don't want people in the US to judge you by the statements made by Blair and others in the British government, you can understand why it would not be realistic to characterize 260 million people by what George Bush says, John Kerry says, Dennis Hastert says, Arnold Schwarzenegger says, etc., etc." I'm not singeling out individuals.But when something is repeated a lot it tends to be an indicatiton of a majority view or a largely held opinion. Why do I see this veiw so often repeated if not widly held? "United States is basically a place where certain freedoms are granted, perhaps more so that in other countries, specifically freedom of speech ...." I think you'll find that just insn't the case compared to western europen countires.In Britian particually the media is very free to say what it likes, and we have diverse opinion on TV.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit