What are Americans taught about U.S and what do you really believe?

by sleepy 160 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• blondie
    blondie
    Blondie, is that a French kiss?

Only if you're French, Dan-O.

Blondie (who saves her kisses for Irreverent)

• sleepy
    sleepy

So who exactly was free? The colonists, their slaves or the indigenous people?

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

Paxil,

I only thought the irrelevant hosts on Pacifica believed that mumbo-jumbo. I am proved wrong again.

Life goes on.

LABD

• Valis
    Valis

um sleepy...I think you are confusing the American way of life with what I would call human nature in general. Shall I take you down the garden path of history and have a look at the way people have always been and will be till the earth comes to an end. Dominating other people/cultures for land, wealth, politics, etc have been central themes throughout global history. Only the daft can't see that..The land of the free simply means that we are not and will not be dominated by anyone or group for very long.....Even tyrants only get to boss us around for four years at a time...*LOL*

BTW I may have started an international incident, but more about that later...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• blondie
    blondie

Well, if there are 100 people and 51 say one thing and 49 say another, does that mean the 49 should be characterized by what the 51 said? I hope not.

I don't agree with everything people from the US post on here. I don't get on here and disagree. But now I'm worried that some people outside the US are making assumptions that we all think and believe alike.

Something is not true just because it is repeated often and sometimes by the person with the loudest voice.

Blondie

George Orwell: "The way to get a lie believed is to continue to REPEAT it".

Schoolyard Rule: "Whoever yells the loudest is correct."

• sleepy
    sleepy

Of course no one belives all american think alike (thank god for that , only joking) But Blondie do you think its possible that the American media does give the impression that America does see itself as superiour?

• Aalena
    Aalena

Sleepy,

The first question that comes to my mind is, "Do you understand what being considered a world power means?" In beng the leading world power, most associate certain responsibilities with that. What those responsibilities are to the US and the rest of the world is quite subjective. How our politicians handle themselves in being involved in government of the reigning world power is their own choice. Our Democracy is set up. theoretically, to hold those in our government accountable if we, as Americans(in the USA), are responsible citizens.

Part of the idea behind being "the leader of the free world" talked about in many political speeches has to do with the concept of Democracy. The Greeks in Athens so long ago were the first known government to hold a direct Democracy. The US holds a representative Democracy and CURRENTLY is the longest running Democracy in our world today. Link that fact to some of the phrases you have quoted and they don't seem so pretentious.

Because the US holds a representative Democracy, neither the public nor the government can take full responsibility for policy that is made. This country is based on a series of checks and balances that is not supposed to give any part of the government complete control and allow the public to change or reinforce policy by whom they allow to take office.

One of the MAIN reasons I do not like our current President is his arrogance. I do not believe he represents the will of the people of the US. I believe his first prioity rests on his belief that he is President, thus he has the power. I truly hope our county acts retroactively in this upcoming Presidential election.

Not to belittle anything you have said, Sleepy, because I actually do agree with some of what you have said to the point of feeling embarrassment of how my country has chosen to act in certain incidents, but while you say your thoughts here are purely inquisitive there seems to be hints of animosity in them. My suggestion to you is to actually do some research on the US government from factual literature instead of allowing newpapers and media to shape your view of the US.

Lastly, one thing to remember is that if Americans in the US believed everything they saw and heard from the media there wouldn't be such a close Presidential race that will be happening this year! I think American's take their role as the world power very seriously, and a lot of us do not like being made to look like a bully that tries to create situations to medle in simply to throw our power around. The most difficult part of everything is separating fact from fiction. The printed word travels instantly now and in so many ways it's difficult to EVER know what is truth and what is not. Not everyone will agree with that... but some of us do!

On the Flag issue: As ready as so many are to salute it, we are just as free to burn it. It's merely a representation of what some very proud and highly patriotic people feel. Does it say that no one else in the world knows freedom? Of course not.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Sleepy the best way to find out is to read....LOTS and lots of history from all viewpoints

• Englishman
    Englishman

It's interesting that we are conditioned to believe that our country is the most free, the most deserving of power.

Look:

Land of Hope and Glory,
    Mother of the free, How shall we extole thee,
    Who are born of thee,
    Wider and still wider,
    Shall thy bounds be set,
    God who made the mighty,
    Make thee mightier yet!!,
    God who made thee mighty,
    Make thee mightier yet!

This song is not about the USA either!

Englishman.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O
    Only if you're French, Dan-O.

I do have at least one ancestor who bailed out of France a few hundred years ago to start a new life on this continent, where he would be free from religious persecution as a Huguenot. Ol' Francois had to leave nearly everything behind, but he did manage to keep his head attached to his body. He lived to the ripe old age of 103, which was quite an an accomplishment in the late 1600s & early 1700s.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit