What are Americans taught about U.S and what do you really believe?

by sleepy 160 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Aalena
    Aalena
    If the people in America feel that things must be changed, then they will change them. It takes time for these changes to occur, though. It does not happen overnight.

One of the things I agree with most here, and from a non-American! ;) Shamus had done is homework =D

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Man I caught hell in school regarding the flag salute. In the third grade my teacher brought me up in front of the class and told everyone that I didnt respect my country or appreciate being an American. Then she made everyone in the class tell me one thing they liked about America. I was humiliated. My dad went with me to talk to my teacher the next day. She was a real bitch. Then he told her he was a Korean and Vietnam Vet and had a brother who served during WWII. That shut her up. But yes I think from memory of a young child they laid it on pretty thick. By the time I got to highschool though the schools were much more relaxed.

• sleepy
    sleepy

"If the people in America feel that things must be changed, then they will change them. It takes time for these changes to occur, though. It does not happen overnight. "

Yes , but that's no different than any other democracy!

• Aalena
    Aalena

No, Sleepy.. America is free because it goes to great lengths to protect the rights and liberties of it's citizens. Our Bill of Rights, where the right to bare arms is mentioned among 9 other liberties/rights, was stated as an example of why we consider ourselves a democracy based on freedoms.

There are democracies all over the world. The US democracy is only the oldest, today.

Your debating seems to stem from emotion. I don't think you are truly interested in much more than pushing some buttons because you already have your opinions of America, which you are entitled to!

Good luck and take care! =)

• Aalena
    Aalena

"that's no different than any other democracy"

Corrct! You are catching on =) I'd say most American's agree with that. How can one dispute it?

• Aalena
    Aalena

Oops! Sorry!

---------------------> http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/22/75361/1.ashx

Didn't know!

• sleepy
    sleepy

"No, Sleepy.. America is free because it goes to great lengths to protect the rights and liberties of it's citizens. Our Bill of Rights, where the right to bare arms is mentioned among 9 other liberties/rights, was stated as an example of why we consider ourselves a democracy based on freedoms." And other democracies don't do this?The point being do you really believe your "freer" than everyone else? In which way has any of this been an emotional aurgument on my part exactly?

• sleepy
    sleepy

Why's all my stuff jumbled up in one big paragrath?

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I believe this nation is very powerful and I feel really good to reside here.

I believe this nation will not help any other nation on earth unless there's something large to be gained by it.

DY

• Aalena
    Aalena

Sleepy, whether you meant to or not it seems to me the purpose of your thread was to "expose" hypocracies you find with the American government and the over all American attitude that you have preceived from the media. Perhaps it is because I am American and since you are generalizing, I take it personally to some extent since what you generalize upon doesn't represent my views or many others views, correctly or in fairness. Many have tried to reason with you on many different points but you continue to dismiss any reason by using manipulations to some degree- very characteristic of political debate. This is no discussion- it's simply someone venting their opinoin of America and it's politics.

While everyone is entitled to their opinion, restating the same thing over and over again feels like you beating my head against a wall and really serves little to no purpose in the end.

Offer some creative or educated solutions to what you see the problem is and maybe some will be more recieving to your concerns and enterain them as valid. Offer only disdain and resentment and not much good will come of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit