The day a brother died in my Hall, & the unbelievable events that followed.

by Mr Ben 125 Replies latest jw friends

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

I had heard stories similar to this growing up, but I thought they were urban legend.

Guess I was wrong.

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

About grieving the dearly departed JW style: 1 Thessalonians 4:13 nt : The Lord's Coming 13My friends, we want you to understand how it will be for those followers who have already died. Then you won't grieve over them and be like people who don't have any hope. ( CEV ){{Then you won't grieve over them.}} The Watchtower's counsel on the grieving process for obedient Jehovah's Witnesses:."we don't grieve like worldings who have no hope''.[How this relates to the concept of buying small tubes of toothpaste]..That's right! I heard this'experience' given at a circuit assembly.The district overseer related the case of the faithful brother who," kept the day of the lord in mind" by only buying small tubes of toothpaste.This way he was always psyched up for the imminent rapture.( he died of old age). About grieving the dearly departed JW style.I know of family's who have never come to terms with their losses because they expect their loved ones to come back in the resurrection any day. That day of horrendous sudden impact to accept that it's all a lie is a ticking time bomb waiting to go off. SURROGATE/DISPLACEMENT RAGE a.k.a. the, "BOMB" .....

• Belmont
    Belmont

Here's another facet of the Watchtower mindset: My sister was at the book study when there was a knock at the door. There stood a man who had broken down in his car, asking to use the 'phone. The brother answering the door said "We can't help you, there's a christian meeting going on here".

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

The "World" vs. the Watchtower.I worked heavy construction for 22 years.I've worked on nuclear power plants.bridges,tunnels sky scrapers you name it.

Heavy construction workers are considered to be some what 'hard boiled'.Nevertheless,across the land if someone dies on the Job the entire jobsite is shutdown for that day and we all go home out of respect.

Matthew 7:16'by their fruitage you will know them"

• Triple A
    Triple A

JWS funerals remind me of info comercials. This idea was started with Russell. In one of the Studies of the Scriptures, he gives to or three talks to be given at a funeral. I will see if I can get the volume and post it later.

• booker-t
    booker-t

Mr. Ben this was a very good subject you brought up. I remember when I was about 8 years old and we were at Monday nite bookstudy, right in the middle of bookstudy my brother who at the time was about 5 years old start throwing up uncontrollablely. He kept vomiting, and vomiting and vomiting. I just knew that the bookstudy conductor(an elder for many years and real good friends with my family) would stop the bookstudy to see what was wrong with my little brother. The elder just kept going on as if nothing was wrong with my brother. The sister whose home the bookstudy was in got out her vacuum cleaner and started vacuuming up my brother's vomit all the time everybody continue to sit there and listen to the elder asking the bookstudy questions. I was so angry that they did not stop the bookstudy and I was also angry at my mom for not taking my brother home. She just continued like nothing was going on with her son. The sister vacuuming gave my brother a glass of water and some pepto bismo and we finished the bookstudy as normal. You just can't believe how this robotic behavior impacts a child growing up. I now know that I would never let a religious service come before my children. Thank you Mr. Ben for bringing this topic up. Jehovah's Witnesses need to be exposed for what they really are. Enough is Enough of them covering over cultic behavior and practices. I really feel for the sincere JWs because they have been duped. This is why ex-jws have a rough time when they leave because of many of the horror stories that they have witnessed it is hard to move on.

• Swan
    Swan

I remember the 1969 International Assembly at Vancouver BC. It was at Empire Stadium and there was an amusement park next door. About halfway through the assembly, which I believe was 8 days long, a sister died taking a short cut across the tracks of the junior roller-coaster. I felt just awful about it, but we kids were given the stern warning by our elders not to be risking our lives by taking foolish chances. This sister was wrong for having risked her life and might not even be resurrected, because Jehovah might not resurrect those who foolishly risk His precious gift of life.

The previous year, in 1968, we went to the District Assembly in Medford. A family in our congregation was traveling down to the convention on the Interstate. A servant in our congregation (they were called servants back then, not elders) who was a recent widower was riding with them. They had a blow-out near Eugene, their car flipped, and this brother's head was crushed instantly. We were all just sickened by this, even though I never really liked him all that much. He was a strict old German who criticized kids for being kids. The family he was riding with sustained various injuries that put them in the hospital. We said a prayer when we heard, but for several days after we learned this, we attended the assembly in 100 degree heat, and of course, we were supposed to concentrate on the assembly. Only after the assembly and we returned home was a memorial held.

I guess the lesson of this thread is don't you dare die during any time that the WTBTS has something scheduled.

Tammy

• willyloman
    willyloman
    I guess the lesson ... is don't you dare die during any time that the WTBTS has something scheduled

Which pretty much rules out dying since there's ALWAYS something scheduled. Hey, is that what Rutherford meant when he said, "Millions now living will never die?"

• Soledad
    Soledad

Jehovah might not resurrect those who foolishly risk His precious gift of life.

and yet the Witlesses have to refuse blood transfusions......

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    I remember the 1969 International Assembly at Vancouver BC. It was at Empire Stadium and there was an amusement park next door. About halfway through the assembly, which I believe was 8 days long, a sister died taking a short cut across the tracks of the junior roller-coaster. I felt just awful about it, but we kids were given the stern warning by our elders not to be risking our lives by taking foolish chances. This sister was wrong for having risked her life and might not even be resurrected, because Jehovah might not resurrect those who foolishly risk His precious gift of life.

Swan,

I was at that DC too and I remember that incident. I also seem to think she did not die right away and had to be taken to the hospital where we were told she or her family refused a blood transfusion. I don't know if by her taking the blood would have saved her life but it makes one wonder. Anyway the dubs quickly used that for propaganda as to how this sister died faithfully. However this could be another JW urban legend.

Will

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit