The day a brother died in my Hall, & the unbelievable events that followed.

by Mr Ben 125 Replies latest jw friends

• Mr Ben
    Mr Ben

This one really freaked me out. I was so brainwashed at the time I found a way to justify it. I think I?ve been repressing my anger about this and now I need to vent.

Basically, a brother, a really nice guy, had a heart attack and began to die during the ministry school. A brother ran off to the fire station as they had some lifesaving skills whilst we waited for the ambulance.

Would you believe it, the PO got up and said words to the effect that nothing is to stop us feeding at Jehovah?s table! Yep ? the show must go on! And it did. Everyone sat there listening to the talk trying to ignore what was happening. It was a total parody of what spirituality is supposed to be about. Rules first, people third (rules second too).

The fire brigade arrives. The talk continues. I?m mortified at the unfolding sickening spectacle. I looked at the faces of the firemen and it said it all, ?These Witnesses are totally heartless bastards. One of there own is dieing, and they just carry on, business as usual.?

Then the paramedics arrived. And still the talk about some bullshit went on. The paramedics began the electric shock therapy to try and re-start his heart. Poor guy is lying there with his shirt ripped open, face gone blue.

And still the talk went on, and on, and on. Just about all the sisters, all the children and half the brothers were openly weeping. Eventually the whole situation got so upsetting that the elder giving the talk just couldn?t continue.

Up got the PO again. ?Under the circumstances the women and children should go home. The brothers should remain.? Of course, almost no-one left as the families came together in the same car. I liked the PO but I could have knocked him out cold that day. Eventually, human compassion just, and I tell you only just, won the day and the meeting was cancelled. It took a brother dying on the floor to put the rules second, and I tell you that if the ?worldly? people (you know, the ?evil? ones) had not been present that meeting would have continued right to the end.

I was utterly ashamed and felt at the time that a great reproach had been heaped upon Jehovah?s name. I was disgusted.

But this episode only comes second in my WitchTower shame archives. I?ll relate that another day.

Did I mention how glad I am to be out?

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

Wow, even I have to think this must be the exception rather than the rule. I can see how Witnesses would have the mindset of doing this, but I just can't believe that most witnesses would react this way.

Truly freightning and insane story.

• mineralogist
    mineralogist

You can feel the power of the PO in this story. And now tell me it is a body of elders and not a one-man-show

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Holy crap, I just can't believe the heartlessness! Reminds me of the time the lights went out at the Convention, but the speaker kept on going. Except, this is much worse.

Even though I can't believe the heartlessness, I can believe the JWs would do something like this. I've just never heard about it! Thank you for sharing this.

• Mr Ben
    Mr Ben

I should have put this under "friends" not "bible"

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

That really shows how screwed up the JW mindset is. In my hall an elderly sister collapsed once, but the brothers carried her downstairs and waited for the ambulance. The meeting went on. She was ok the a few days later.

Yet they won't think twice about cancelling a meeting if it snows a little more than usual.

Walter

• rocketman
    rocketman

It would appear to be the exception rather than the rule. And yet, I can easily picture some fanatical PO getting up and doing was was just described. The leap to fanaticism is a short one for many jws.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Good lord. I can't imagine the inhumanity. There is no way I could have sat there, knowing a man was fighting for his life.

Think maybe this elder's priorities were out of whack, just a little bit? Wow.

• Simon
    Simon

I've been at a hall where the brother giving the closing prayer fainted / collapsed. Two brothers lept to grab him and stop him falling right over and then one of them carried on giving the prayer while half-holding him up !!

Is their god such a bastard that they can't "take 5" ? Sod him if he is !

Ironic that they are usually so concerned about "giving a good witness" and then make massive faux-pars like this.

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

AARRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHH

this one really get my dander up. heartless Org...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit