The day a brother died in my Hall, & the unbelievable events that followed.

by Mr Ben 125 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

The first funeral service I attended at a church was a real eye-opener - it was actually focussed on the person and their life and the priest / vicar was highlighting who they were and what they had done and comforting the family.

Not at all like the JW advertisermons to a captive audience.

• Mr Ben
    Mr Ben

Fleur & Avishai, so sorry - hugs.

• bebu
    bebu

That really is unbelievable...

I wonder how many other folks are still active, who were there? How many left?

bebu

• Fleur
    Fleur

thanks for the hugs, everybody. it's been ten years since that happened, but i will never forget it. what kind of heartless idiot says something like that to a grieving mother, especially when they had been told that i was already completely devestated.

simon, i know just what you mean. when i took my husband to a relatives jw funeral years ago (his first, and only, time in a kingdom hall) he said it amazed him how little they talked about the deceased and how much they preached. they have no idea how ridiculous they look to people who have seen real love shown to grieving people before.

thanks cyb, you're very kind ((((((((((((((((((cybersista))))))))))

fleur

• Mr Ben
    Mr Ben

Bebu,

Perhaps more unbelievably, no-one ceased attendance because of that night. In fact, the following week a brother, who later became a missionary in Africa, applauded the fact that he had died at the Kingdom Hall. To paraphrase him, "To die at the Kingdom Hall worshiping Jehovah is the best possible place to die." Seriously. Personally I think all places are bad places to die.

• ball.
    ball.

Mr Ben, a "brother" had a heart attack during the meeting at a Kingdom Hall in Bedfordshire it the 1980s, and apart from a few seconds pause, they also continued and some brothers took him out into the foyer to await an ambulance so he wouldnt disturb the meeting.

• Emma
    Emma

There was a similar incident in a cong I went to. An elderly brother collapsed and the meeting went on while someone who knew CPR "worked" on him. The paramedics arrived but the dear brother had died. I was home with a sick child, but I had a seven year old who witnessed the entire thing. Sociopathic organization.

• acsot
    acsot

What horrid stories, though unfortunately I have no difficulty in believing them. In dubdom love and compassion will always take a back seat to policy and procedure.

Hugs to all who have suffered such emotional abuse .

• Mr Ben
    Mr Ben

Wow! Surely this is the exception and not the rule, even in WatchtowerWorld! Has anybody been in a meeting where someone had a heart attack and they did immediately cancel the meeting out of concern for the sick one?

• Odrade
    Odrade

can remember some pretty extreme medical emergencies at the hall. can't ever remember them stopping the meeting for it. Hey what about the GB member (Lloyd was it?) who collapsed and died at the DC two years back or so? Did they even pause the program? I can't remember that they did... kind of sets a precedent for all congregations don't you think?

Odrade

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit