The day a brother died in my Hall, & the unbelievable events that followed.

by Mr Ben 125 Replies latest jw friends

• evita
    evita

At our first assembly we were befriended by a witness family with many children. They seeemed rather poor and "humble". We were very nervous about doing everything right at our first convention and they helped us find our way around and were very nice to us.
    I think it was about a year later....they were driving to the circuit assembly and were in an accident. They showed up at the assembly, and everyone was fine. Except their little 2 year old had died in the crash! I was 14 years old and just horrified they were there like nothing had happened. I'm sure they were in a state of shock. Well, everyone got into their seats as usual and I don't remember anythng being mentioned from the platform. We were all such zombies!
    I think back on that event and hope with all my heart that this family got the help they needed that day. After reading this thread, I'm not so sure.
    Eva

• evita
    evita

At our first assembly we were befriended by a witness family with many children. They seeemed rather poor and "humble". We were very nervous about doing everything right at our first convention and they helped us find our way around and were very nice to us.
    I think it was about a year later....they were driving to the circuit assembly and were in an accident. They showed up at the assembly, and everyone was fine. Except their little 2 year old had died in the crash! I was 14 years old and just horrified they were there like nothing had happened. I'm sure they were in a state of shock. Well, everyone got into their seats as usual and I don't remember anythng being mentioned from the platform. We were all such zombies!
    I think back on that event and hope with all my heart that this family got the help they needed that day. After reading this thread, I'm not so sure.
    Eva

• evita
    evita

Oops! sorry for the double post.

• Beep,Beep
    Beep,Beep

I'll give you two occasions where someone died and things continued on.

At a high school football game a man collapsed in the stands. The ambulance and medical personnel quickly tried to help the man but to no avail. You may think so what he was just one guy in the stands. No. He had just retired as the high school physician. He was well known to the players and coaching staff as well as the fans.

Game continued.

At a commencement ceremony at a college not too far away, one of the graduating students' grandfather collapsed during the ceremony. Do you stop commencement for such an event?

Sorry, but unless you are qualified to help, the BEST thing to do is stay out of the way and the best way to stay out of the way is to continue on.

• Mr Ben
    Mr Ben

evita -

Oh my, oh my.... that is a most shocking and distressing story. If I had not been through so many things and seen so many things I would not have believed such a thing were possible. It really is so so sad. But I hope that your relaying that information here will help all those lurkers out there to face the truth about this most destructive cult.

• Highlander
    Highlander

At a commencement ceremony at a college not too far away, one of the graduating students' grandfather collapsed during the ceremony. Do you stop commencement for such an event?

Sorry, but unless you are qualified to help, the BEST thing to do is stay out of the way and the best way to stay out of the way is to continue on.

Yes, it is best to stay out of the way unless you are a qualified EMT or have experience in such events. However YOU DO NOT interfere with the help that's being given

by raising your voice from the platform as the PO so eloquently did while continuing the meeting service.

At an event where many of the attendees do not know eachother and the event is very large, it is somewhat normal to continue the proceedings,, at a church where

EVERYONE should or does know eachother, and SHOULD love eachother, then some compassion should be given and respect given to the dying person in their midst.

"by there fruits you shall know them"

• LDH
    LDH
    I think it was about a year later....they were driving to the circuit assembly and were in an accident. They showed up at the assembly, and everyone was fine. Except their little 2 year old had died in the crash!

ice blood in my veins!

Beep Beep now you are just being an asshole. BOTH events that you spoke about no doubt had HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS in attendance. Hell I have been to high school football games with 3,000+ in attendance.

Contrast that with the now infamous JR BROWN interview in which he eloquently states "the congregations are kept small so we can keep an eye on people." Yeah small enough to be the morality police but not small enough to care!

We are talking about a room with fewer than 150 people in it, that would certainly be disrupted by someone collapsing....but no matter, wheel them out. The show must go on!

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos
    Maybe up in Canada this is true, but here in PA, they would never cancel the meeting for bad weather.

Here on the Gulf of Mexico, they leave town just on the suggestion that a hurricane might be headed our way. They literally run to Tenn. to get away from it knowing full well that the odds of something happening are astronomical, better than getting killed in a car wreck driving to their refuge.

Nobody bothers securing their hovel trusting that "Jah will provide", but then they are first in line for a new JW roof and FEMA aid when something happens BECAUSE THEY DID NOT TAKE PRECAUTIONS.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

True story, honest...

One afternoon in field service alone in my home town, I met this nice lady and shared some words. She said, "But there is one thing I will always hold against Jehovah's Witnesses" , I paused as she gulped and took a deep breath then told me this story. Some years previously she had had a Bible Study . One day her "Sister" had called as usual, on time but said that she was having a pretty bad day. The lady said she expected her to perhaps say that the washing machine had broken, or something like that.

This sister went on to say that her eldest son had been killed in a road accident that morning! while the lady said she nearly died of shock herself, the sister calmly opened the study book and said "Oh no, that is not the way. We know that we will see him again soon in the resurrection, so there is no need to grieve. it is a temporary parting and we carry on as usual" and wanted to start the study .

My lady was horrified at this apparent heartlessness and thought we must all be totally brainwashed . I agreed with her shock at this. I said that everybody that I knew would be as devastated as anybody else at such a thing.

As I left the house I could not but feel sorry for this unknown sister . I figured that people have different ways of dealing with trauma . Sometimes perhaps some people have to fall back on routine and to reinforce their belief. This poor deluded soul was so blinkered, did she think that she had to keep up appearances at all cost??

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

BluesBrother:

That would be the famous JW love of martyrdom that you just described.

I could go on for pages with similar examples but we all know them

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit