The day a brother died in my Hall, & the unbelievable events that followed.

by Mr Ben 125 Replies latest jw friends

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    And still the talk went on, and on, and on. Just about all the sisters, all the children and half the brothers were openly weeping

WOW!! this is unbeleivable. I would be slayed if I had seen that happen. How awful as well for those children to sit there and watch someone turn blue.

Thats truly sick!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

If anyone can read this thread and still say the WTS does not control the minds of JWs then they are still under the influence.

If it was one case I might say it was just an exception. But people from all over had had similar experiences. And the WTS and the JWs seem to think they have done well to carry on with their meetings or activities and ignore the person who is dying on the floor near them.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((to all of you who have been through this))))))))))))))))))))))))))

• Scully
    Scully

Horrific. Simply horrific. I don't know how I missed this thread the first time around, but thank you for bumping it back up.

I really thought my congregation was the exception, rather than the rule, when it came to lacking compassion. We had the Book Study in our house for the longest time when I was a kid, and I recall an incident where an older brother, sitting on our sofa, suddenly went ashen and looked to be in severe pain. I watched to make sure he was breathing (he was, thank goodness) and leaned over to my dad and whispered that the brother looked sick. It was maybe 10-15 minutes before the meeting would end, and nobody budged, not even my dad to raise his hand and ask the brother if he was ok. We found out later that it had been a mild heart attack, which he survived, but even as a kid I was surprised that nobody did a thing to help him.

• mouthy
    mouthy

bttp

• HoChiMin
    HoChiMin

I have some of the same weird memories. It all trickles down from the top the attitude of ice and mind control.

Remember the big Kahona would be upset if the meeting were disrupted. This is truly embarrassing to remember.

HCM

• blondie
    blondie

Not quite the same but similar, I lived in a tornado area. The KH had no basement. One night the tornado warning siren blew during the meeting. The process was this 1) go to your basement 2) if no basement go to an interior room preferably the bathroom (no windows) and get in the bathtub and pull a mattress over you 3) get in a ditch. First, it took several minutes for the elders to confer as the meeting continued and we could hear the siren (only about 300 feet from the KH) blaring still. Everyone looked confused. I got up and went to the one interior room taking the older sister I was taking care of. Suddenly several others followed me, finally we got all in there putting the children under the large table....the elders the last to follow. A tornado cell had blown overhead and set down about 2 miles away destroying some out buildings.

Thank goodness for the regular drills we had at work. I knew exactly what to do and didn't need to wait to ask permission from my "supervisors," the elders.

Blondie (do you have a tornado plan?)

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

A similar thing happened in Hobart congregation. A brother had a heart attack giving the public talk. He was laid down beside the stage to wait for an Ambulance whilst another elder took his notes and finished his talk for him.

• Ms. Whip
    Ms. Whip

I walked into the hall one sunday morning. I immediately got a sick feeling. It was the co's visit. (that's not why i had the sick feeling at the time)

Some faces were smiling, some were expressionless.

I suppose the co noticed that I looked perplexed. He came over to me and in a very matter-of-fact way said "Bro. "so-n-so" committed suicide last night." He then walked away.

The meeting started. People were singing. As the brother on stage was talking about "loyalty" I sat there. Screaming inside. How could we sit there? How could I sit there?

It was never mentioned.

Over the next few months, the widow came and went in and out of the meetings. No one said anything.

I went to her house. She said no one had visited except a few sisters.

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE??? Are they walking automatons?

They had disfellowshipped (figuratively) this former ministerial servant after his death!! In turn, they also disfellowshipped (fig.) this brother's family.

They did not hold his funeral talk in the Kingdom Hall. Although he was a ministerial servant in good standing at the time of death. Instead, there was a preachy talk at the grave site.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug
    They had disfellowshipped (figuratively) this former ministerial servant after his death!! In turn, they also disfellowshipped (fig.) this brother's family.

They did not hold his funeral talk in the Kingdom Hall. Although he was a ministerial servant in good standing at the time of death. Instead, there was a preachy talk at the grave site.

That is really f**ked up. Truly.

• wednesday
    wednesday

I have read only about half this thread and it brought back so many horrible memories, I just coud not read any further.

I asked an elder once why jws did not try to provide more socialization for the cong? he said

we are here to serve Jehovah

we are not here to socialize (this new fangled idea of being friends with your Bible study-bad idea- wrong)

I know worldy churches do that, he said

but jws just come together to worship God

they will have to find their own socialization

he meant it, they have ice water in his veins

WE WERE NOT A BROTHERHOOD . Not to him and most jws. We only just meet at the same KH to worship jehovah.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit