Wasn't Saddam ousted for doing precisely this sort of thing?

by Simon 398 Replies latest social current

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Seems to me the young LT from the My Lai incident was court martialed and saw jail time. How does this compare to My Lai (the one Vietnam incident war oppossers love to point out...because that's really about the only documented case from Vietnam of attrocities...not that others weren't commited, but...not nearly as many happened as war oppossers would like us to think.

Simon,

Your opposition to the punishhment meted out to the prison commander would presume the Commander was aware the ill treatment of prisoners was occuring...that doesn't seem to be the case...though the commander is responsible for everything that goes on there...so...a Letter of Reprimand, which pretty much ends a military career, seems appropriate to me for the commander not knowing what was going on....and the perps...jail time.

• Realist
    Realist

yeru,

Seems to me the young LT from the My Lai incident was court martialed and saw jail time. How does this compare to My Lai

does it matter that he was young?

and wasn't he released on the behalf of nixxon?

point is, even an attrocity like my lai didn't cause severe consequences for the US soldiers involved. so this will most likely go without any grave consequences too.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    point is, even an attrocity like my lai didn't cause severe consequences for the US soldiers involved. so this will most likely go without any grave consequences too.

My guess is that this incident will end up in punishment far closer to what is appropriate than my lai. Vietnam was a different time, and I believe the militarys' professionalism grew up right along side the concience of America in the aftermath. Still a work in progress, set back light years by Bush and Yeru , but many of the leaders in the military really do have honor and integrity, and really try not to politicize.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Yes - Saddam was ousted for this precise sort of thing, although if it had been one incident in a year long rule of his country, I doubt that the world would have even noticed or cared. Actually, the world would probably have never known - because cameras would have never been allowed anywhere near the site.

Face it Simon, while we are not any better than the average human being, at least the West is open to scrutiny and vulnerable to public opinion - something Saddam never was, even with your beloved UN telling him to let their inspectors in.

And if the hippies had heard about it, they would have said, "Well, he's their leader, he's allowed."

How's that "Free Tibet" letter writing campaign going? Any progress, or do you need another government handout for postage? After all, nonviolence is the way that works, right? 50 years since China invaded, I think you're getting close to making a dent, really, I do... hahahahahaaaaa

Hey, maybe you should send the Red Chinese a Vermont Teddy Bear, maybe that will get your message across!

CZAR

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    at least the West is open to scrutiny and vulnerable to public opinion

Not if minimus has his way.

• Realist
    Realist

six,

i hope it evolved! we will see what happens to these criminals.

czar,

Face it Simon, while we are not any better than the average human being, at least the West is open to scrutiny and vulnerable to public opinion - something Saddam never was, even with your beloved UN telling him to let their inspectors in.

yes the west is more open to scrutiny. although it is far from being perfect.

How's that "Free Tibet" letter writing campaign going? Any progress, or do you need another government handout for postage? After all, nonviolence is the way that works, right? 50 years since China invaded, I think you're getting close to making a dent, really, I do... hahahahahaaaaa

hmmm what has bush or the rest of the world done to free tibet? nothing...why? because there is nothing to gain and a lot to loose.

iraq was attacked for obvious economical and strategic reasons and because it was completely unable to defend itself. the perfect catch!

• minimus
    minimus

The West will always be under attack simply because liberals and ultra-right wingers dominate things.All I can say, after reading this thread is "poor Saddam".

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    liberals and ultra-right wingers dominate things

Can't get much broader than that!!

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Simon et al, I read somewhere else they were being court marshalled and that's what should happen anything short of that would be a blight. Everyone I know was outraged about this. I think we all agree on this.

I also think that FMZ should be promoted to MOD as he is a MOD of the People. Swooping in and defending peace with humor.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

If no one has already posted the link to the pictures;

http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/IMAGES/POWABUSE/index.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit