Wasn't Saddam ousted for doing precisely this sort of thing?

by Simon 398 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, I can see how objecting to peolpe getting away with torture to be Anti American ... not !

Do you really think this sort of thing furthers America's aims? Does it represent it's ideals?

Where have I said the Iraqis are saints? The whole point of the conventions is that people should not be subjected to this kind of abuse.

• Descender
    Descender

True, no one should ever be subjected to this kind of abuse. But other than saying that it shouldn't happen, what will completely stop the needless torture and deaths of innocents and not so innocents. I doubt it will ever stop, and I imagine that until the last dieing breath of the last human on earth that this type of thing will go on and people will still be saying it shouldn't happen. But other than saying it shouldn't happen, how can you stop certain factions of people dedicated to a certain god or government to go through with their own agena in some remote location when you don't even know about it until it's to late?

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

When it was the Brits doing this, Simon had different "words" on the subject (see his second post).....

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/19/52907/1.ashx

""These photo's were from a traditional camera / film and were spotted when the pics were developed at the lab.

It says a great deal about the intelligence of those concerned that they took them to the local photo lab for developing.

I do NOT want this to turn into some "us" vs "them" battle.

Please, let's just debate the issues and not create new ones. Thank you.""

I agree with Simon!!!
  • Simon
    Simon

I suppose techically you are correct, the specific "words" are different but the sentiment is exactly the same:

I condemn these acts outright and think those responsible should be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under UK and international law. In fact, should they not be treated the same as the people who they were supposedly going to prevent doing these things? Ship them to guantanamo bay.

I doubt you will get anyone defending them ThiChi ... only a complete idiot tries to defend the indefensible.

So, what's your point? Do you have one? Will you join us in condemning these attrocious acts committed by a bunch of unruly, undisciplined thugs ...

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Yes, I do agree. I hope the perpetrators rot in hell... However, I believe that I do not want to use this isolated action of a few to condemn the "greater good" of why we are in Iraq, like some here are now doing.

As you put it: "I do NOT want this to turn into some "us" vs "them" battle.

Please, let's just debate the issues and not create new ones. Thank you.""

And, it says a lot, as you put it, for the persons who brought this information forward...true?

That is my point....

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Again, it's terrible that these people did this, it goes against everything we in the military stand for...having said that...and here's the damning difference Simon and the rest don't wish to acknowledge...these people will be punished, not rewarded.

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, those written reprimands can be devastating. People have even been known to get paper cuts.

• minimus
    minimus

Simon, why don't you stop bashing America? Get out of your own little bubble and get real. Are you still in la-la land?

• Xena
    Xena

Lets see she is SUSPENDED and under INVESTIGATION....

The army has made no formal charges against her. She is the subject of an investigation that could result in a written reprimand, AFP news agency reported.

Just because no formal charges have been made to date doesn't mean they won't be...I would imagine both the charges and punishment will depend on what they actually find....maybe we should wait until after the investigation to we post our scathing denunciations, eh

Naw let him be mini....at this point he is so obvious it's amusing...

• Simon
    Simon

Well, it's a shame that some people are so biased and show such zealotry that they will not condemn what is indefensible (very JW like ... just like they defend the org). Were it American soldiers being mistreated by foreigners then I would be surprised if they weren't calling for war.

Minimus. I think the "american bashing" claim is something that has been learn from the Israelis. Whenever they are criticised FAIRLY for committing illegal and immoral acts they immediately claim people are being "anti-semitic". It is pathetic.

Note above that I was first to condemn the british soldiers doing something similar. It isn't difficult and doesn't show any betrayal of your country. Quite the opposite, if you truly value what your country is supposed to represent then you will want those involved to be dealt with to the maximum extent of the law.

Is it an unimportant matter? I doubt it ... this could lead to ill feeling and the loss of many more American lives and more US troops being injured and disfigured.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit