Wasn't Saddam ousted for doing precisely this sort of thing?

by Simon 398 Replies latest social current

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

This is so infinitely much worse than feeding people feet first into shredders, I just don't know what to think.

• patio34
    patio34

It doesn't compare Pork Chop. The USA was supposed to be liberating people from that sort of thing.

• Simon
    Simon
    And second, the American culture is also highly sensitive to certain things. We sensitive to seeing the bodies of our citizens mutilated and dragged through the streets, and beaten beyond recognition. We are also particularly sensitive to having our centers of commerce, the pentagon and the whitehouse slammed into by highjacked plans, our innocent citizens including men, women, and children murdered before our very eyes. While I deplore the soliders actions, forgive me for not being consumed with the "particular outrage" of the narrow, homophobic views of the Arab world

Have you ever stopped to think that just **maybe** they don't like seeing those things happen to their own people either? Now, can you start to get a handle on why people may not think the world shines out of America's probably obese backside if they have seen these things done to their parents / uncles / brothers / wifes / sisters / neices It's a circle of hate and violence on both sides and the only time it will stop is if one side has the sense and decency to give up on revenge and retaliation.

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

Ah yes Patio, but it was official government policy to feed people into shredders. These US soldiers broke the law and have been arrested. Is it too much of a stretch for you to see the difference or are you simply blinded by bigotry.

• little witch
    little witch

I am greatly disturbed and in shock at the pictures of torture and humiliation.

I am just shocked and pissed off. It is torture and degredation in my book....There is no excuse for this....none...

• patio34
    patio34
    Is it too much of a stretch for you to see the difference or are you simply blinded by bigotry. Pork Chop

What are you talking about? Bigotry? Please explain.

Actually, this whole torture item is a bit off the big picture of whether the US had any business invading Iraq to begin with. It seems to me that this is the real issue, but the torture is a outgrowth of it.

Pat

• little witch
    little witch

With these pictures I see soldiers with hand gestures (thumbs up, fuc* you signs, etc). I don't believe for one minute that higher ups are not responsible. I know enough about the military that superiors are overseeing this sort of behavior. Court martial the lower ranks, while the spokesmen and elevated officers get by unscathed? I don't think so!

I personally am not impressed or believing that the officers were in the dark, and the few who were pictured are to blame for this injustice to human life.....

Soldiers do what they are told, and act on what instructions they are given. It is not the soldiers to blame for these abuses, but the higher command. (though I want to smack the shit outa those soldiers who proudly posed in the photos).

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Have you ever stopped to think that just **maybe** they don't like seeing those things happen to their own people either? Now, can you start to get a handle on why people may not think the world shines out of America's probably obese backside if they have seen these things done to their parents / uncles / brothers / wifes / sisters / neices It's a circle of hate and violence on both sides and the only time it will stop is if one side has the sense and decency to give up on revenge and retaliation. First of all, your vitriol against the US seems to know no bounds--every word you utter about the US seems to ooze intense hatred. Well, you'll have to deal with that one. Secondly, OF COURSE no one wants to see their loved ones abused and MURDERED. That's the point. We in the US didn't like seeing 3000 of our men, women, children murdered, nor our US landmarks and govermental/military seats treated in such a matter. That's patently obvious. But I'm in disbelief at this attitude that the isolated actions of these soldiers, deplorable as they might be, are somehow representative of the ENTIRE US people, and of course, of Bush himself. You people truly have a lot of nerve. Bush himself went to great lengths to STRESS that the actions of the terrorists are NOT representative of true believers of Islam. He went to great lengths to MAKE SURE US citizens did not lash out on the Arab community, because THEY were not the terrorists. Now, the minute any isolated abuses of Iraqis are publicized, you are so quick to imply that this perverse behavior must be permeating the US Army, is reflective of US sentiment, is probably being prescribed by BUSH himself. Talk about lack of grace, diplomacy, and a basic sense of fair play. AND stereotyping.

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Oh, and just thought this passage might be of interested to those of you "outraged" that the soldiers would humilate homophobic Arabs in such a manner. As you suggested, Patio, it sounds like it's better to KILL people than to tolerate or be humiliated by the suggestion of a homosexual liaison:

http://www.galha.org/briefing/2003_03.html

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Yet again, my word document didn't copy over. Here's the portions of the passage which I was trying to highlight:

Homosexuality is illegal in most Muslim countries and punishable by death in servearl. Amnesty International Homa (an exiled Iranian group) and other human rights groups regularly report shocking abuses and crimes against homosexuals. For example, in April 2001, nine gay men were given prison terms of 4 to 5 years with 2400 to 2600 lashes in Saudi Arabia. Abdul Sami (18) and Bismillah (22) were killed by the Taliban by having a wall toppled on them in 1998. In 2002, 52 men were arrested following a party on a river boat and charged with "immoral behaviour" and "contempt of religion" in Egypt (a supposedly "moderate Islamic country). Many were given prison sentences with hard labor

"Iran has been particularly enthusiastic in its persecution of homosexuals. Estimates of teh numbewrs of gay and lesbian people this evil regime has murdered range from hundreds to thousands but, as many executions are not public, and bereaved families may cover up the reasons out of shame, the higher estimates are plausible."

Sad, sad state of affairs for gays in Muslim nations. Many of these people are MURDERED.

It find it difficult to believe that this "humiliation" endured by Iraqi's, implying that they should have been "murdered" rather than to imply they had any sort of homosexual liasion, is in ANY way supported by people of free nations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit