Wasn't Saddam ousted for doing precisely this sort of thing?

by Simon 398 Replies latest social current

• dubla
    dubla

simon-

Sorry Yeru. "Getting a letter" may mean somethnig to you but it means jack shit to me. My bank send's em to be all the time

But that is not punishment. Lots of people decide to leave the military.

For torturing, raping, abusing and / or murdering people they should face the same things that everyone else faces, ie. prison.

Anything less is a let-off IMO.

looks like they will be getting more than letters:

Soldier sentenced to 1 year in Iraq prisoner abuse

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/05/19/court.martial.sivits/index.html

hes the first one to get sentenced, and it sounds like he cut a deal (and that he wasnt as involved in the abuse as some of the others....not sure on that point), so he most likely will get the least amount of time.....just a guess on my part though.

aa

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Crinkel

Thank you. Bush and his supporters are responsible for this, explain exactly how it is that I, and other supporters of our President, and the President himself are responsible for the Abu Ghrab insident? not the American people. He didn't ask MY permission before he started this crusade. A) It's not a crusade, B) he DID ask Congress, who gave him permission in the form of authority to go to war with Iraq. Hell, he didn't even want to ask the UN's permission. And no US PResident should EVER as permission from the UN, it is, perhaps, one of the most anti-American and Corrupt organizations ever. The UN had 10 BILLION reasons to want to avoid war with Iraq. This started out as a singular act of agression on Bush's part It started because Saddam failed to live up to the cease fire agreement, which is more than enough justification for the war. and HE'S the one that will answer for this when his time is up. That he shall. It ain't my job to solve the problems he's created just like it ain't my job to solve some other country's problems. Isolationism doesn't work.
  • Pleasuredome
  • Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Neat photo editing, but all it says is you don't like Bush. Be mad at PFC England for doing what she did, not Bush and Rummie.

• Realist
    Realist

dubla,

one year seems to be the highest possible sentence. considering the political pressure not a surprising outcome.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

LOL on the photo! Good one.....It is funny, no matter where you find yourself on this issue.

Realist:

Where have you been? Miss you Bro....

• dubla
    dubla

realist-

one year seems to be the highest possible sentence.

after you posted, i did a bit more reading. its as i suspected, that the man already sentenced wasnt as involved in the abuse as some of the others. you are correct that he got the highest possible sentence for his charges.......

Earlier on Wednesday, Staff Sgt Frederick, Sgt Davis and Spc Graner, who are also implicated in the abuse scandal, appeared in court.

They face more serious charges than Sivits, including physical assaults on prisoners.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3727289.stm

i imagine there would be higher possible sentences for more serious charges...again, im guessing a bit though (im not extremely knowledgeable on courts-martial). i have yet to read about any murder charges stemming from the abuse. you and others have claimed there was murder involved, is there proof of this? the icrc director of operations claims that some of the treatment was "tantamount to torture" (in the above bbc article), but makes no mention of murder........just wondering if there are credible sources behind those claims.

aa

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

There are three different types of Courts Martial, Summary, Special, and General, and varying punishments allowable under each. The first guy was tried under a Special Courts Martial, the others look like they'll be receiving trial under a General Courts Martial, the penalties go up.

• dubla
    dubla

yeru-

thanks for the insight....and for showing me i wasnt even spelling "courts martial" correctly.

aa

• Realist
    Realist

hello thichi!

i was a little busy the last week.

missed you too man!

dubla,

no idea...just read he got the maximum sentence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit