Is the Bible Just B.S.?

by shamus 125 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Nos:
    It was a general comment.
    You had whittled down the possibilities to substance abuse and mental defect.
    I'm just emphasising that there are other options which you don't appear to have considered.

Keep the mind open a crack, huh?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

At the end of the day, all things being considered, I truly believe with all my heart, that the bible contains some brilliant and wise counsel

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Stilla:
    Agreed.
    And the fact that you can find many of those things from other sources doesn't reduce that fact, IMHO. Even if it is often used to attack it's worth.

• Phil
    Phil

Stilla & Little toe

Agreed. Also there is an enormous amount of writings, that are not called "Bible", by people of wisdom since the beginning of time. A lot of it is duplication from a previous era. If we only had another lifetime to absorb all that has been written.

• Plain and simple
    Plain and simple

You should critique the bible just as you would any other document. Those who put the fear of god in you - are just sounding their own horn and want you to join them - and religion uses various tools of fear to get you to join, and to stay in with them, through fear. Oh, they tell you this is true - and it isn't --- because it doesn't stand up to examination using commonsense, logic and reason. Tools to use, to see if there is any truth to it. There is some truth there, but sadly over the centuries it has accumulated a lot of crap with it. And those who quote the bible - and can imagine them living in those times, are just living in a fairy tale that they choose to believe in. It's a fabrication, some hollywood movie, they imagine themselves in.

There is such a thing as spirituality and awareness, heart and spirit - that is of good things. Love, understanding, compassion, etc --- these do exist in all of us, if we choose to acknowledge them, and all that can unite us, for good. Just be aware that religion was hijacked a long time ago for political ends, and it is still is.

• shamus
    shamus

Plain and Simple,

Wow!

There is such a thing as spirituality and awareness, heart and spirit - that is of good things. Love, understanding, compassion, etc --- these do exist in all of us, if we choose to acknowledge them, and all that can unite us, for good. Just be aware that religion was hijacked a long time ago for political ends, and it is still is.

How true!
  • shamus
    shamus

Okay, Farkel, I am going to bite.

1. The first LIE in the Bible was told by God.

What was it?

• Farkel
    Farkel

: At the end of the day, all things being considered, I truly believe with all my heart, that the bible contains some brilliant and wise counsel

So does a Betty Crocker cookbook.

At the end of the day, all things being considered, I truly believe with all my heart that the Bible is a biggest piece of bullshit ever written, and has caused more damage to human kind that could ever be imagined.

I have FACTS to bolster my argument. Do you want some, or do you just want to be a true believer and remain oblivious to the FACTS?

For starters, we can deal with this classic little gem:

Bible says: "God is love."

Bible says: "Love is not jealous."

Bible says: "I, your God am a jealous God."

Conclusion for any thinking person? God is a liar and certainly not a "God of Love."

Next,

God, who caused the 10 Commandments to be written declared that one should not kill. Yet he did it all the time. He also declared that the sins of the fathers would not be visited upon the children of those fathers. Then he killed an entire planet in violation of his own rule. He saved 8 of those people though. You just gotta love "Bible God(tm)!" He later ordered massacres of pregnant women, suckling infants, toddlers, children, women and men and boys of all ages so Israel could get a piece of real estate that is the biggest piece-of-shit real estate one could imagine.

God didn't give the Jews Hawaii or San Diego, by the way. He gave them a sack-of-shit piece of real estate. And he ordered the murder of countless people to give them that sack-of-shit piece of real estate. Some God, that. Milk and honey, my ass. More like "scorpions on your butt and you'd better get used to it."

This same "God" gave instructions on how to hold the legs of BABIES so his "chosen people" could BASH the brains of those little babies against the walls and splat them all over the place.

Reconcile THAT! I have dozens more. The Bible is a cosmic joke and those who believe it, haven't actually READ it. I have.

Farkel

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Fark:Is there a difference between what God is reported as saying and what he actually said?

My comments are taken out of context all the time, but such is life.

Looking to the references of your quotes and parsing what was written when, where, and by whom, perhaps gives a little indication that taking the whole tome and refering to it as a continuous, uncontradictory monologue is an unwise approach.

Hence why I continually refer to my belief that people have recorded their "spiritual experiences" within that tome, but the bottom line isn't whether or not someone has a certain point of doctrine correct, rather a simple "connection with the divine". From this proceeds an abundance of the very qualities we seek and claim are of value as a human race.

Indeed Betty Crocker has sayings for the prolonging life, if you have a cupboard full of food but don't know one end of a spatula from an other...

• Morgan
    Morgan

Hi Farkel,

[quote]This same "God" gave instructions on how to hold the legs of BABIES so his "chosen people" could BASH the brains of those little babies against the walls and splat them all over the place.[/quote]

This statement 'floored' me. I was not aware of this. Where is the scripture that says that?

Thanks, Morgan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit