Is the Bible Just B.S.?

by shamus 125 Replies latest watchtower bible

• True North
    True North

LittleToe:

I believe that the bible writers felt inspired to write about their experiences.

How close do you think "felt inspired" was to "were inspired". And by whom or what and how?

....this can easily be extended to apocryphal works, too.

Can this also be extended to any other writers as well (that is, other than those who wrote the Bible books and apocrypha)? Could any of these others have felt inspired as well? Or has the source of this inspiration only been active with Jewish writers from the first or second century AD and before?

Divining between what actually happend and what is symbolism and literature, is another matter.

Is this something you believe you are able to do? Do you think it is necessary to do so? Can such divination be successfully performed by any rational person according to some logical method or is it a personal matter of faith, conviction, and feeling?

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Hey Shamus! I mostly read only your comments, LOL!

My thoughts on the bible: it definately wasn't written by God. It was written by men. Some of the stuff in there seems to be written by intelligent (and stoned) men. There's some good stuff in there, but there's a load of crap you have to sift through. Revelation had to be written by a very stoned (and retarded) individual.

I mean, come on! Jesus curses an out of season fig tree? I think Jesus had a few too many wobbly-pops that day!

My final comment is - The bible is an amusing collection of stories, but it's nothing to be taken too seriously.

• metatron
    metatron

Although it's fantasy, Startrek has a point. The Prime Directive makes sense.

Perhaps some of you are familiar with the stunning conclusions of the infamous Brookings report on extraterrestrial

encounters. They concluded that various human cultures simply fell apart when they encountered a superior civilization

and so were fearful about what would happen if First Contact ever did occur.

Legends about the fallen angels and Nephilim, particularily the Book of Enoch, tell a somewhat different story from

Genesis. The rebellious angels also acted as benefactors, teaching men about metal work, music, and primitive technology.

Other primitive people speak of similar things.

It's probably safest for everyone to keep these interventions within the realm of mythology, for now.

I wouldn't want to be heavily invested in the stock market on the Day After First Contact actually did occur.

metatron

• LittleToe
    LittleToe
    How close do you think "felt inspired" was to "were inspired". And by whom or what and how?

If they connected to the Divine, then from a pure source. How they interpretted that is another matter, though.

Can this also be extended to any other writers as well...

I have room for that, which my experience bears testimony to.

Is this something you believe you are able to do? Do you think it is necessary to do so?

I believe we need to be certain of that which we believe.

Can such divination be successfully performed by any rational person according to some logical method or is it a personal matter of faith, conviction, and feeling?

Preferably by the latter.
    The "conscious" mind interferes with many things, and detracts from "experience".

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Nos:
    That would be your considered opinion, huh?
    Ah well, your loss.

And btw, there's no need to partake of any kind of substance to trigger the kind of effect refered to in such works.

Met:
    That would be one possible framework.
    It's certainly not irrational, unless people really think we were the first "life" in this universe

I don't particularly go for that option myself, given that I have no evidence for it, but I can't rule it out.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    Ah well, your loss.

I don't feel as if I've lost anything. I also don't feel like I'm missing anything.

And btw, there's no need to partake of any kind of substance to trigger the kind of effect refered to in such works.

Agreed. Sometimes you could be lacking air, or have a mental instability.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe
    I don't feel as if I've lost anything. I also don't feel like I'm missing anything.

I guess what you don't know won't hurt you... too much

Agreed. Sometimes you could be lacking air, or have a mental instability.

Yeah, that would be it...

Believe it or not there are some things beyond your limited experience...
    But don't worry, you don't feel like you're missing them, so it's all good...

• Phil
    Phil

Drop all concepts of god,,, and then you have god..,,,Without concept,,,you have god,,, with concept,,,, you can not have god. For god by nature has to

transcend nature,,so god is not natural,,,for there is no natural,,, only "concepts" of natural.
    Heavy!!

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    Believe it or not there are some things beyond your limited experience...

Littletoe, Could you be a bit more specific? Limited experience in what? Life? Religion? Spirituality?

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Or is the bible just b.s in your opinion? I am starting to think so.

The Bible is just b.s. I can give you one hundred reasons why it is just that. Would you like me to start with the first five of them and work forward?

Here goes:

1. The first LIE in the Bible was told by God.

2. The first WEAPON invented was invented by God.

3. Snakes don't have vocal chords, but a snake talked.

4. The snake told the truth and God lied.

5. Lot's wife was turned into a pillar of salt for, taking a LOOK at a destruction by God (one of many by God) and taking only a SECOND for a Kodak moment by doing so. Lot on the otherhand, screwed his own daughters. Hebrews 11 mentions Lot fondly. It doesn't mention his wife. Lot screwed his OWN daughters and the Bible loves him. Lot's wife (who doesn't even deserve the mention of a name) looks over her shoulders and God turns her into a piece of deer-lick. Screw your own children=God loves you. Look over your shoulder and be a woman=God destroys you. Fanciful God, that Jehovah.

I have 95 more (at least) reasons why the Bible is total bullshit.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit