Is the Bible Just B.S.?

by shamus 125 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

There's plenty of good stuff in there.
    Maybe "God" just helps us sift through it, to find the gems...

I recently purchased "The New Jerome Biblical Commentary", after having it recommended to me by JanH, two years ago - fascinating!!!

• Farkel
    Farkel

little toe, my friend:

: Looking to the references of your quotes and parsing what was written when, where, and by whom, perhaps gives a little indication that taking the whole tome and refering to it as a continuous, uncontradictory monologue is an unwise approach.

So......you're saying that as you read it, it doesn't mean what it says?

Or, are you saying that as you read it it IS a contradictory monologue? If this is true, then why should anyone believe it? Is God so stupid or weak that he couldn't keep his OWN BOOK from corruption? If yes, then why should we trust him? If no, then why should we trust his book which is contradictory to its own self?

These are sincere questions. I'm not trying to be a jerk.

Farkel

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Farkel:
    Well I wasn't saying that, though maybe it occasionally does, especially in parables that were evidently attacks on Pharisee's (for example).

I was more thinking about the continuity between books, or even the compilations found within some books like Genesis. I constantly remind myself that it's 66 books (plus some, if you take Apocrypha and Pseudopigrapha), with a wide variety of authors, locations, dates, and spiritual experience.

It's far from B.S., regardless of how "inconsistencies" and "common themes" may be viewed.
    In fact I've yet to come across a "Holy Book" that doesn't have some of these in evidence.
    Do these render the whole sum void?
    Somehow I think not, just as you wouldn't decry a whole News report, due to a few erroneous details...

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

LT,

You remind me of myself a few months back. At that time I was noticing the contradictions in the bible but still beleived it,,(mind control was very deep),,and then one day the scales fell off my eyes,,and boom!! "I kicked Jehovah's mythological ass all over the place,,with the help of Thor of coarse.LOL

I'd say the way you are going,,posting on these threads,,that soon you'll be kicking his ass too.

• Farkel
    Farkel

little toe,

: It's far from B.S., regardless of how "inconsistencies" and "common themes" may be viewed.
    In fact I've yet to come across a "Holy Book" that doesn't have some of these in evidence.
    Do these render the whole sum void?

Yep. If God can't keep his own Holy Words from being corrupted, a rational human must test EVERY word in those books for its veracity. Moreover, if a God did that, it is totally unfair to his children to make them go through these hoops to find out about the mind of God and then come up with the wrong answer based upon corruption of the words of God. What if some of them misjudged a "wrong" translation or corruption and made a choice or choices based upon that? Is that fair? NO! That is NOT fair. If God wants us to have a book that is a perfect and unerring guideline, then at least he should have the dignity and decency and honesty to make sure we don't get shit along with the good stuff. Any decent God who cared about his own human children could do at least that. That is not too much to ask of a God who FIRST decided that we needed a BOOK to figure out stuff.

God: "They need a BOOK to figure out stuff and I'll give it to them, but I'll sit idly by when humans corrupt it, and THEN I'll hold them responsible for 1) not being able to figure out the stuff that is corrupted, or 2) punish them for following the stuff that IS corrupted."

You further said:

: Somehow I think not, just as you wouldn't decry a whole News report, due to a few erroneous details...

False analogy.

People who write the news are NOT God, and God (who holds US up to high standards) should HIMSELF be held up to even higher standards than that. Certainly, higher standards than News reporting pukes.

By all accounts, God doesn't make the grade. At least BibleGod(tm) doesn't.

When in doubt, read the above comments of mine.

Farkel

• Farkel
    Farkel

frankie....,

: I'd say the way you are going,,posting on these threads,,that soon you'll be kicking his ass too.

You know, I have no problem with little toe's faith. In fact I respect it and if it works for him, I rejoice that it does.

I have a problem with his logic, though, because there is none.

People of faith should not make the mistake of trying to rationalize it or even trying to explain it with any sort of argument that involves logic. When they do, they get trashed by thinking people every single time.

Farkel

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

can't say, but the New World Translation Is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Frankie:
    That's condescending of ya, old chap...
    You think I've been here, for as long as I have, without questioning things?
    Just because I don't come to the same conclusions, as you do, doesn't make either of us more correct than the other.
    I've not walked in your shoes, nor you in mine.
    We are on different paths. Hopefully pleasant ones

Farkel:
    I'm not even attempting to support the bible, nor claim that "God wrote it". My point is merely that there are gems to be found in it, hence the descriptive "B.S." is wholly inapprorpriate.

To my knowledge God's reported as directly saying "This is my Son, listen to him", but never does He say "This is some stuff I wrote to help you guys out. Btw, it's confusing as heck, but it was worth it to see the frown on Michael's face...".
    He might have wanted to say that, but He's not reported as doing so...

Hence you are creating a strawman of my position, and successfully knocking it flat. I never took the stance that you have me pinned as taking.
    But I suspect you aready know that

• shamus
    shamus

Little Toe,
    You said that calling the bible B.S. is wholly inappropriate. I could not disagree more! "All scripture is inspired of god and beneficial..." bla bla bla... bullshit. BULLSHIT. 1. It is not beneficial. In the old testament they don't want you to sit on your wife's bedsheets whist she is menstrating, lest you scream out "unclean, unclean" to everyone like some kinda jackass...... it's not beneficial in the least.
    2. It's not inspired by god. Don't you think that god would have done a better job preserving it????
    It is bullshit.

Moreover, if a God did that, it is totally unfair to his children to make them go through these hoops to find out about the mind of God and then come up with the wrong answer based upon corruption of the words of God.

Farkel wrote the above words and I could not agree more. I have done enough hoop jumping to find out if god wrote it. It is bullshit.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I respectfully disagree.

You are looking at a few difficult passages and rubbishing the whole tome.
    I'm looking at a few gems, and giving credit where it's due.

Do you similarly rubbish all the laws of your land, just because a few of them are wacky and outdated?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit