Is the Bible Just B.S.?

by shamus 125 Replies latest watchtower bible

• micheal
    micheal

The Bible is nothing more than the ideas and thoughts of many men.

If God Almighty really wanted to get his message across there is a much more effective manner of doing this then writing a book that can be and has been interpreted a million different ways. Then on top of this allow countless religions control and manipulate people all based on this "masterpiece" by God himself.

In reality, the Bible has done billions of more damage than it has done good. God has failed miserably in is quest to educate people about his ways.

He recieves an F-.

• Plain and simple
    Plain and simple

There are many aspects to take into account when discussing religion and the bible - an established religion, etc. You have so called basic truths (do unto others as you would have them do unto you - basic good human behaviour towards others - or codes of conduct, re: ten commandments) - these should not be contradictory - so, the eye for an eye - of course is nonsense. The killing will never end, if you believe in this. The worse thing about religion is the 'establishment' of itself, in which it seeks to keep 'itself' alive - through recruitment, and then having various tools to keep people in their religion. And so they made up all this rubbish that passes for it's truth - such crap as - 'Only through Jesus Christ can you be saved' --- he, never said that. We can see that he is a humble man who doesn't make a big thing about himself - it is only with his passing (and non presence) does all this crap get laid on.

And what exactly is the christian view about the purpose of life, and what happens after death. I don't believe in resurrection - no. Reincarnation seems to be likely, and that this is what he taught, but was edited out of the bible and omitted from his teachings.

Anyway rubbish has been added on, through the centuries and misinterpretations. The bible is not without errors and misunderstandings. With so many translations and mistranslations, misinterpretations and reintrepretations, you can put any spin you wish to, upon what you take out of the bible - and isn't there a great deal there, not explainable? Like Ezekiel in which it seems to be some description of a UFO sighting.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

You had whittled down the possibilities to substance abuse and mental defect.
    I'm just emphasising that there are other options which you don't appear to have considered.

Keep the mind open a crack, huh?

Okay, fair enough. Have you ever personally known someone who was never aware of God, never heard of the bible, but came to have a relationship with God, because God vomitted his holy spirit on them? It seems that everyone who comes to learn of god (or Jesus) has done so through religion, a religious pamphlet, or the bible. But where did the people in the bible get their knowledge of God from? Did they get it from God himself? If yes, then how come nobody today has the experiences that the people in the bible did? How come there hasn't been more chapters added to the bible as time has gone by? Oh yeah, The Mormons did that, but how do other religions view the Book of Mormon? Was he truly inspired by God (or Jesus)?

• Farkel
    Farkel

shamus,

You said: : Okay, Farkel, I am going to bite.

1. The first LIE in the Bible was told by God.
    : What was it? Gen 2:17. God said that Adam would die in the very "day" he ate from that tree. Adam lived to a ripe old age of 930 years. The WTS tries to explain this away by saying that the command was literal, but the dying part was symbolic using the Psalms as evidence. Yet the Psalms was written CENTURIES after Genesis. Half the verse was literal (eating the fruit) and the other half, the punishment part wasn't literal. Go figure. I thought God was not a God of confusion or goofy reasoning. Ironically, the "serpent" told the actual truth. Totally and absolutely: Gen. 3:5 This truth the "serpent" told is confirmed by God himself in Gen 3:22. The "serpent" was right. And BibleGod(tm) lied. The "serpent" was right and mankind is screwed as a result of one of the creations of God being truthful and God himself not being truthful. Go figure. Farkel
  • LittleToe
    LittleToe

Nos:
    To be candid, no, I've not been in contact with such an individual in this day and age of biblical proliferation.

I did speak to a missionary who recently returned from Cambodia, who spoke of such things, though.
    Apparently a group of people "came to faith" merely by observing the creation. When they were introduced to Christians they (allegedly) instantly recognised this as what they had been worshipping.
    I can't (in all fairness) offer that as proof positive, however, as I didn't get the full story. Besides, it would be second hand at best.

Regarding scripture being scripture, bear in mind that a good quantity of it was letters and compiled histories.
    If anyone were to later dig up our discussions, they may (or may not ) later canonise them.

Personally I've had some incredible experiences. I generally use the framework of "Christianity" to explain them, but I'm just as much at home explaining them in other frameworks, depending on whom I'm talking to.

Have you ever read "The Heavenly Man"?

(I'm about to leave for a couple of days, on a road trip for work. Sorry if I suddenly go quiet)

• Ariell
    Ariell
    And what exactly is the christian view about the purpose of life, and what happens after death. I don't believe in resurrection - no. Reincarnation seems to be likely, and that this is what he taught, but was edited out of the bible and omitted from his teachings.

Anyway rubbish has been added on, through the centuries and misinterpretations.

But if God is so powerful, why would he even allow things to be edited out of the bible? If the bible is truly inspired by God, why would he allow things to be added on? If God is so wise, wouldn't he be intelligent enough to realize that mankind wouldn't be able to tell the real from the fake?

And if humans are smarter than animals, shouldn't the aforementioned prove that reading the bible other than for leisurely purposes is a complete waste of time?

• logical
    logical

The bible is full of shit. It was compiled by a corrupt religious organisation to control the masses. It originated from a corrupt religion that Christ came down to correct. Even the bible itself says that it is not the word and that its not the place to find "life" etc... so all these people who follow it obviously are not aware of the majority of whats in it or just block out all the bad, contradictory parts.

Most of the stuff is written / edited by men to excuse their evil deeds and to scare the masses into order. An excuse to kill. An excuse to rape. An excuse to steal. An excuse to do all sorts.

Why hasnt God stepped in? Anyone knows that the god portrayed in these so-called "holy" books is not the true God. He has been distorted beyond all means into a monster. Man has become the image of THAT monster, not the true God.

There ARE truths still in the bible.... but IMO its best to not bother much with it because we dont exactly know where the truth ends and the distractions begin....

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

Plain and simple

Reincarnation seems to be likely, and that this is what he taught, but was edited out of the bible and omitted from his teachings.

Why do you think he might have taught reincarnation? I tend towards believing in reincarnation myself, so I'm curious.

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

I notice a "real God" syndrome. Christians that read the bible and say the bible is a book of evil jewish preist because the "real God" would be better. What do you base this theory on? The bible damns God within the first few pages. How can your "Jesus" a jew cite the OT say that the God is his father (this is not a trinity debate) yet people omitt the fact Jesus didn't not vindicate the true nature of God, and call the OT a myth.

Jehovah is evil and Satan is evil. If you want a nicer God change religions or worship Jesus. Maybe thats why the trinity came to be because people could not reconcile the two.

• Realist
    Realist

not sure if this was mentioned before....but George Carlin summs it up pretty nicely in his "The 10 Commendments" bit. I highly recommend listening to it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit