To the people of Spain

by Amazing1914 117 Replies latest social current

• Love_Truth
    Love_Truth

Pork Chop and Donkey,

Exactly.

Your sentiments are my sentiments, 100%.

Regards,

LoveTruth

P.S.:

If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. -Samuel Adams

Let the man of learning, the man of lettered leisure, beware of that queer and cheap temptation to pose to himself and to others as the cynic, as the man who has outgrown emotions and beliefs, the man to whom good and evil are as one. The poorest way to face life is to face it with a sneer. There are many men who feel a kind of twisted pride in cynicism; there are many who confine themselves to criticism of the way others do what they themselves dare not even attempt. There is no more unhealthy being, no man less worthy of respect, than he who either really holds, or feigns to hold, an attitude of sneering disbelief toward all that is great and lofty, whether in achievement or in that noble effort which, even if it fails, comes second to achievement. A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life's realities?all these are marks, not, as the possessor would fain think, of superiority, but of weakness. They mark the men unfit to bear their part manfully in the stern strife of living, who seek, in the affectation of contempt for the achievements of others, to hide from others and from themselves their own weakness. The rôle is easy; there is none easier, save only the rôle of the man who sneers alike at both criticism and performance. 8

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, and comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into a fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world. Among the free peoples who govern themselves there is but a small field of usefulness open for the men of cloistered life who shrink from contact with their fellows. Still less room is there for those who deride or slight what is done by those who actually bear the brunt of the day; nor yet for those others who always profess that they would like to take action, if only the conditions of life were not what they actually are. The man who does nothing cuts the same sordid figure in the pages of history, whether he be cynic, or fop, or voluptuary. There is little use for the being whose tepid soul knows nothing of the great and generous emotion, of the high pride, the stern belief, the lofty enthusiasm, of the men who quell the storm and ride the thunder. Well for these men if they succeed; well also, though not so well, if they fail, given only that they have nobly ventured, and have put forth all their heart and strength. It is war-worn Hotspur, spent with hard fighting, he of the many errors and the valiant end, over whose memory we love to linger, not over the memory of the young lord who "but for the vile guns would have been a soldier."

-Theodore Roosevelt
  • ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz
    but I got tired of the leftist views of people who do NOTHING except complain no matter what happens.

I sure hope this wasnt addressed to me. I too have had family killed in an oppressed country. My Grandmother died at the hands of Adolph Hitler during WWII. My adopted sister's mother was raped and killed by Mexican Police. My original point was that I felt such grief for the Spanish people, and I didnt feel Simon's blanket comments about American's were called for. It wasnt my intention to discuss the War in Iraq because it is pointless to do so. I doubt my opinion will be swayed my you, and I doubt your opinion will be swayed by me. I am greatful to live in the United States and be "able to complain no matter what happens."

• donkey
    donkey
    I sure hope this wasnt addressed to me. I too have had family killed in an oppressed country. My Grandmother died at the hands of Adolph Hitler during WWII. My adopted sister's mother was raped and killed by Mexican Police. My original point was that I felt such grief for the Spanish people, and I didnt feel Simon's blanket comments about American's were called for. It wasnt my intention to discuss the War in Iraq because it is pointless to do so. I doubt my opinion will be swayed my you, and I doubt your opinion will be swayed by me. I am greatful to live in the United States and be "able to complain no matter what happens."

(((Chevy)))

No they weren't directed at YOU - although when you delierately noted the sarcasm in your post I did feel a little annoyed.

I realize leftist people like Simon may have the best of intentions but due to my background, my experiences and some family tragedies under the hand of oppresive governments I cannot subscribe to his world view. The USA will make mistakes - they will have corrupt leaders (hell i am no fan of Bush) but I love the USA because in general America cares about the rights of freedom and they will FIGHT for them.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz
    Unless of course that country has something very important that we NEED to get involved and oust them. Like say oil for instance?

This was the "noted sarcasm" part of my post. I really did think you made a good point.

Sorry to hijack your thread again Amazing, going off track. Your thread was not a "fighting" thread. Unfortunately it's a sensitive subject that alot of people feel very passionately about.

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

Sheer stupidity, Saddam would have been more than happy to sell us all the oil we'd take for a lot less than the war and the recovery is going to cost. You people have no clue. It would have been a whole lot easier to invade Venezuela of it was about oil.

• wasasister
    wasasister
    Unless of course that country has something very important that we NEED to get involved and oust them. Like say oil for instance? *noted sarcasm*

I haven't noticed my cost for fuel going down since the USA is now occupying Iraq, has anyone else?

Like Amazing and other clear thinkers here, I have the utmost sympathy for the people of Spain. The picture on the cover of Newsweek was gripping. I know how deeply I was affected by 9-11.

I strongly disagree with my country's leadership (note the spelling for Simon and Xena), but Simon's comments were insensitive and unnecessary in this instance.

Quite obviously the man has not listened to his many friends and co-mods who have pleaded with him to tone down his anti-American littany.

Simon....Buddy, PLEASE. Take it down just a notch if you do not want to insite another bunch of controversy. I may agree with your words but I will defend to the death your right to say them better. Or something....

Wasa

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    for a lot less than the war and the recovery is going to cost.

Hey, Pork Chop, you right wing sissy boy (aren't they all, underneath their bluster?), see a clue in brilliant yellow above. Who knows who will end up with the oil, hell, the Iraqis may even keep that. But we know exactly who is getting multi-billion dollar chunks of the war/oil "reconstruction" profits. I think you can forgive people if they mistake oil for oil/war profiteering.

Is that "the reason"? Probably not, probably just a big part of "the reason", maybe even the part that made it all look so attractive to a west-Texas blowhard with low character and mediocre IQ.

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Just a side note. If the US wanted Iraq's oil, and this war is all about oil ... it would have been far cheaper, easier, and politically wiser to simply buy the oil as we used to do ... there is someting else at stake far greater than oil ...

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

Ah yes, the US went to war so some companies could make a profit. Such ignorance is almost past belief, but then, it's the left we're talking about.

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

Amazing, I'm sorry I jumped on your thread which had such a fine start. It's just that the mindless babble of the left is wearing pretty thin with me at the moment. These people have no honor, no ethics, and no grace.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit