food at the assembly

by LukeN 76 Replies latest jw experiences

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Hi, Joenobody!

I beg to differ with you concerning the world's worst soft drink! As mentioned before---here in the States we had to gag down Shasta, 98% of the time it was lemon-lime and 100% of the time it was "used bathwater" warm! It was horrible!

A standout memory for me was at the 1973 Convention in Pittsburgh, PA at the Three Rivers Stadium. It was very hot that week, and carting five kids around IN that heat was a nightmare. My nose ended up looking like a potato chip by the second day!

They ran out of the chicken, the burritos, salads-in-a-cup, the fruit-----by the second afternoon. ALL they had was the dreaded L&L Shasta and Cheese Danishes----for the last two days---nothing else! Boy, were tempers flaring and everybody was crabby.

We went out in service (we were given terrotory in McKeesport) and we got lost coming back to the afternoon session (with six hot iriitable kids crammed in a Pinto) and ended up having to climb up on the top tier of the Stadium in 95 degree heat to find seats. I swore I had pigeons landing on my shoulder! It was the worst Convention I can remember in 30 years!

As usual, the victims were at fault for the food running out---they said that too many hadn't followed the "suggestions" of the brothers---to go to the convention you were assigned to so that food shortages wouldn't have been a problem! (Actually we were assigned to one in RI but went to PA for other reasons)

hugs,

Annie

• joenobody
    joenobody

Hey Sunspot,

But "food shortages" were a sign of the last days right?

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

***But "food shortages" were a sign of the last days right?***

Right!

And the "end" was just around the corner, just around the corner, just around the corner,<SLAP>

( I feel better now!)

hugs,

Annie

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

I remember the days when actual meals were cooked for the disctrict conventions and circuit assemblies. My dad was working in the "spanish" kitchen (I guess there was no such thing as Mexican food back in the early 70s at Dodger Stadium) when I was a pre-schooler.

I remember the change to the large rotating ovens that the Society kept at WT Farms and then rolled them out to the various District Convention sites during the summer. My dad was in charge of the cooking of the food at the Conventions in Amarillo, TX for a time. Then he was put in charge of a refreshment stand.

I do recall the quality of food diminishing as the Society began to take more and more control over it. Similar to the quality of the talks as the Society disallowed the elders to create their own outlines to public talks. I digress however.

I never got food poisoning from assembly food, though my grandmother did, and she never ate at a convention or assembly again. I remember driving to pick up food for her. I could leave ten minutes prior to the end of the morning session for that. YIPPEEE!

Favorite assembly food: Swiss Miss chocolate or vanilla pudding.

Despised assembly food: Hoagie.

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Oh you guys crack me up with your wonderful anecdotes. Haven't laughed that hard in weeks!

And it sure is good to know the real reasons for the changes those liars made. If they would only ever tell us the truth! The truth wouldn't have killed our zeal - they knew we loved them - THEN.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

In Germany the JW knew the companies/brands that delivered food for the assemblies/conventions. I heard from the inside that it was a fierce competition between brothers working for the companies to deliver to the Society.

One brother became especially prominent: he was a Sales Manager at a food company that deliverd meat and other stuff. He guaranteed that no blood was involved in the production and even stressed that from the platform. So he delivered most of the food. It was of less than average quality so at a circuit convention a responsible JW tried to change the food company and got into some trouble with the Society - despite the meat was of better quality, cheaper and also without blood.

The brother in favor of the Society was also City Overseer and Convention Overseer. His whole family got kind of prominent. Of course he had a Mercedes company car...

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    we were then further downgraded to Cott Cola.

Yeah, I remember Cott very well (I mentioned it in an earlier post). Cola and Ginger Ale. Both absolutely terrible. What i really enjoyed is the occasional "pssst" you'd hear of someone opening a warm Cott during the talks. Then there was the tiny bags of Old Dutch potato chips. The only flavour you could get was plain.

I think my favorite was the roast beef sandwich which came with a little packet of barbeque sauce without a knife to spread it. Those were really good! There were also grapes left in the fruit bag for us to chow on during the sessions.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Yeah, I loved those beef on a bun sandwiches.

Here is the recipe: one bun, some beef, plastic package of bbq sauce, plastic wrap.

It's amazing how good they tasted. I think it was the contrast with the bland program that made them so tantalizing.

• Nadsam
    Nadsam

While I was a Bethelite we used to prepare a lot of the meals the day before and ship them the next evening to the conventions...that night we recieved the left overs and dished it up for the other bethalites!!!!........I was also once an overseer of a "fruit salad and ice cream" line. While opening a can a bro cut his finger and bled all over the place,,,, that day we served "strawberry icecream" and boy did those JW's lick their lips !!!

hehehehe, Nadsam.

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

LOL, that was funny Nadmans!

The most expensive item in the New York area was "Hot Bowl of Steam" 12 farangoolas!

I remember at the circuit assembly hall in Washington Heights 161 St? they served this tremondous "chef salad" which Im sure took a long time to prepare and even longer time to eat. They use to serve soft ice cream also, and I remember dropping my scoop on my new black shoes that my parents always bought to last through several growth spurts. I felt like a idiot!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit