food at the assembly

by LukeN 76 Replies latest jw experiences

• blondie
    blondie

Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, 8 days in a row.

I can remember serving real meals on a tray. Then it was fast food. Then it was no food.

I liked cheese danishes (apple in a pinch) and coffee and orange juice (still frozen) for breakfast. I also like egg mcmuffins.

Remember the fruit bags and yogurt?

I liked roast beef sandwiiches and burritos with potato chips.

The pop was putrid so I brought my own, diet pepsi.

And of course, witness pudding, chocolate with white milk. You can still get Swiss Miss pudding at the store for those who want a taste down memory lane.

Blondie

• simplesally
    simplesally

Did anybody ever get a piece of plastic glove in their sandwich?

If you did, it was mine..........I promise my fingers were clean.......but one of the fingers came off the glove when I was fixing sandwiches.

• Gadget
    Gadget
    During the assembly time I would arrive early each day to help prepare the food to be cooked that day!!

What did they do with all that equipment?

PS - Edinburgh was where our District Assemblies took place

I used to work in the food prep at Edinburgh too! We were split between making the sandwiches and washing/packing the fruit. And we used to have to get up so early to get there each morning......

I used to be in a hall with a lot of storage space, and when we moved out in 2001 we had to clear it all out and there was so much equipment stored there from the assemblies, and from the drama's too. Alot of it looked like it hadn't been used for years.

• trumangirl
    trumangirl

Sounds like in NZ we got better food than you guys. Years ago it was hot meals with jelly for pudding,, then it was filled rolls, pies, yummy I always looked forward to lunch, tho after 2 days of it you had to pop out to McD's for a change of feed.

When they brought in the 'bring your own food' policy, we all got told how in Eastern Europe people were so happy to just have a tomato and a piece of bread, so we got the guilts while feeling secretly miffed that we couldn't even get a cup of tea or coffee. It just meant the bros that could afford it went out to cafes and the poor ones with big families had a lot of stuff to lug around with them. Talk about not being willing to lift a finger to ease the load. I remember thinking, Jesus cared about the physical needs of the crowd, why can't we get a drink?

There was an email that did the rounds a while ago, after the 'no lunch supplies' policy came in. It was in the form of a letter from the Branch introducing a 'simplification' - no toilets, we must bring own portaloo.

Trumangirl

• Farkel
    Farkel

running man,

: Then they took away the cafeteria. Then they took away the hamburgers and hot dogs. Then they took away the sandwiches. Now, they can concentrate all of their volunteer labor in the donations department.

This was not to "simplify" things. In fact, it made it more difficult for assembly-goers: they had to pack in their own meals.

This all happened after I left in 1972, but I've kept up with the reasons behind it.

The US States found out what a whopping profit the Society made on those Assembly meals and decided that they were not a religious thing, but a taxable thing. As soon as the accountants in Brooklyn found that the little WTS cherry patch could be taxed for its immense profit, "Jehovah" came into the picture and "simplified" things.

Ain't "Jehovah" wonderful, folks? He's so puny he can't even fight and beat the little State governments that want to tax his little cult's profit-making food enterprise which is conducted during his little cult's Worldwide Book Promotion Tour(tm) that goes on EVERY year throughout the ENTIRE world!

Farkel, of the Diplomatic Class

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    I remember at a circuit assembly a district overseer telling us:

"Instead of buying junk from outside to eat buy our junk!"

That had nothing to do with the food service, he was talking about the "spiritual food" they were serving!

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

Thats funny!

I volunteered in cleanup detail, that usually took all day, also once I was baptized I became a attendent, a police officer with no gun or night stick, but you had a yellow card to insert into your badge holder that said "ATTENDANT".

I love power!

<-----Sheep I herded into the escalator going downstairs!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Did anybody ever get a piece of plastic glove in their sandwich?

If you did, it was mine..........I promise my fingers were clean.......but one of the fingers came off the glove when I was fixing sandwiches.

*** Grabs Throat ** *** Starts turning blue *** *** Passes out ***

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

I volunteered to make Hoagies at Arco Arena...never ate another Hoagie in my life. Everyone in some kinda' service got to the stadiums early...which meant youse could get yer pick of the seats. Downside was being there early...Upside was my hard-core mate would give me slack for sleeping thru the afternoon sessions then. Remember the announcements or some joker would always mention the "wonderful food provided by Jehovah" or "the FDS".

-BONEZZ

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I don't know who said it, someone on this forum, a year ago about this subject,,,,,,,,it was soooo funny.

He said he and his son were eating one of those gawd awful hoagies,,,,,the son called it a "Jehoagie" , because it went on forever and ever".......something like that. Guess he didnt like them too much and wished he could choak it down faster, but the thing had no beginning ,nor any end, it seemed.

LMAO @ Ozzie,,,,,,,very true.......hehe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit