by LukeN 76 Replies latest jw experiences

• Valis
    Valis

ona...I remember those accounts..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Hey, Craig, the plywood tables were where I ate those "worst scrambled eggs ever".

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

LMAO @ Valis

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I'm stunned they no longer serve food. All those years of sitting through hours of stultifyingly dull service talks about the organization, gorging gluttinously on all that spiritual food dished out by the Slave, which strangely only made my stomach growl and yearn and hank for some truly mediocre, tasteless, but honest-to-god REAL FOOD to wolf down. Now you can no longer make a break during the kingdom melody and get in line for immediate satisfaction with yummy munchies?!! You mean, after sitting through all that crap, you gotta still wait and get into your car and drive out to where ever to finally get some well-earned food???

Hey, I remember those white 10 cent tickets. I remember trying to bum off some other ppl to get enough for an extra lunch.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Phantom, unless I miss my guess, you musta had to stand on your tip-toes to reach the table-top? LOL

Yeah, those scrambled eggs...yummers.

At the Seattle Int'l assembly (1969?)(right in the shadow of the Space Needle) we had a whole boiler-room set up...and 8-dayer...we were in a tent on the east side.

To be honest, not all bad memories. We were part of a "movement," eh? A strong sense of comraderie, and of course, Armageddon was coming within a few years...and then Knorr's closing prayer...omg.

Craig (of the "waxing a bit reminiscent about the 'good-old-days' " class)

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

I never had the conscience to get on line during the song, so by the time I got to the line after song and prayer the lines were LOOOONG. And the worst part was when a self righteous witness started a conversation with you! uhhhhh booring.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Yeah, that brings back memories. The stainless steel trays with dividers. 2 sizes of standup tables, 1 for the kids one for adults. I ws so proud one year, when I was growed up enough to stand at the adult table.

And yes the reason for no more food was the tax issue. I believe Ray touched on that in CoC, where the taxman hit them for an assembly in Germany for the tune of $400,000.00

I bet in hindsight the WTS wishes they had kept the pay per meal system. Even paying taxes on the amount of money they made through cut rate food deals, and slave volunteer labour, I bet they could still pull in a lot more than they do from the donation arrangement.

And to give you an idea of the kind of profit they made, here is a story I remember from the assemblies in Toronto at Woodbine racetrack.

My uncle who was on the food committee, told me they would have Pepsi and Coke bid for their business every year.

The winner that year was Coke. They gave them pop for free, and charged them 1cent for every 8oz cup, which in turn the society charged 10 cents for. 1000% profit. Not bad eh!

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

I can't eat an apple danish (what do they call them in Denmark?) without hearing pre-session assembly sounds in my mind.

mmm.. Society Pudding.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

you had to take the foil from the lid of the pudding, and macgyver a sort of spoon out of it.

it worked, long as you didn't bite down on the foil, which was unpleasant.

• joenobody
    joenobody

Maybe other Canadians will remember the stuff we got forced to drink. After Coke was dropped in favour of the cheaper RC cola, we were then further downgraded to Cott Cola. It was without a doubt the worst cola ever made and was always served refreshingly hot. "It's Got to Be Cott".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit