food at the assembly

by LukeN 76 Replies latest jw experiences

• trumangirl
    trumangirl

I got food poisoning from a piece of crumbed fried chicken at an assembly. I did get to miss the saturday session.

What is a hoagie?

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

hoagie, po'boy, grinder, submarine..

big sandwich

(and JW hoagies sucked)

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

Its a long piece of bread stuffed with cheap meat and cheeses. Sort of like a cigar stuffed with food!

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

This thread was particularly amusing to me, so I thought others might enjoy reading it too!

bttt

( I got a kick out of gita's "we'd MacGiver a spoon out of the pudding cup lids...")

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I remember in Greenpoint Ave, Queens we use to have a soft serve ice cream machine always there. When the society made the "new rule" we had to tear DOWN EVERYTHING. I asked why this, it's paid for and here? (retoric)

Well on the good side I took home 3 jars of Strawberry and pinapple topping to use on my home sundays

• La Capra
    La Capra

I used to despise the ticket system. I always saw it as a way to get the convetion goers to spend more money on food than they otherwise would have if they had been paying cash. Those tickets were like play money, and everyone was "encouraged" to buy them through the local congregation (I think to see where the money was). Once you bought them, if you didn't use them you could not get a refund. If people bought too many tickets, they were stuck with them and could not use them at next year's convention, because they were a different color every year.

I had long since DAed before the "donation" system went into effect, either for the food or the literature. But I did used to volunteer at the food stands at the Cow Palace (check out all the cute guys-look for "repeat cusotmers"). Until they took me off the "front counter." There were a couple of reasons, but the leading force in being relegated to a gopher had to do with my ability to add up the totals as the items were being requested. It was all about patterns-the folks would tend to state their requests in a similar order, and usually in similar pairings (if someone requested 3 "entrees", I could instantly add 9 tickets for three sodas, before they were ordered). Those totals were on easy recall for me. I was faster than the MSs and Elders that would flank me. From time to time, I could also spit out totals for their "customers" too. These "grown men" could not handle that some snotty female child could do her sums faster whilst also doing theirs, so I eventually was disallowed from using my God-given talent of recognizing patterns, and taken off the counter. I rarely stood up for myself, this was not one of those rare times that I did.

This was before I left. This had nothing to do with my leaving, but this had a lot to do with my becoming a math teacher.

• clarity
    clarity

Remembering those days.

>

This one goes back to the long plywood 'tables' where you

stood to eat. The tables were pre set with fresh slices of white

bread ......and salt & pepper shakers.

Your metal trays with about 4 sections were filled cafeteria style

as you moved along & were directed to a table to stand at.

>

You had to learn to eat fast, as there were so many waiting behind you!

clarity

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit