food at the assembly

by LukeN 76 Replies latest jw experiences

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

The orange juice was always frozen, you got a few spips of juice and had to spoon the rest out.

The food usually made everyone sick,,,,,,,my mom wouldnt even touch it , because she got food poisioning one year at an international convention at the Astrodome. I remember that, I was very young, I think the reason remember it , was we were all sick,,,,,,,I wont be graphic , but the sick room they had at the Astrodome, was huge and peeps were fighting over the bathrooms. ick......

I did like the bagels and strawberry cream cheese. THe cheese danish was ok too.

• Badger
    Badger

To recap:

DON'T go to off-site restaurants during the break

DON'T cook food in your room.

DON'T go back home, either.

DON'T bring bigass coolers that you need to feed the whole family

DON'T eat during the break. (even though during four hours of talking, most pups and big dogs need a little snack.)

DON'T use vending machines on the site...the WTS doesn't get that money.

DON'T have a tailgate party before/during lunch/after at your car (although come to think of it, whoever came up with that idea would have made conventions downright tolerable)

Hell,

DON'T EAT

Happy people, my ass.

• copsec
    copsec

Ok, I have not been to an assembly in 10 years. They don't serve food anymore??? What did they do with the cafeterias built in to some assembly halls?

• copsec
    copsec

Ok, I have not been to an assembly in 10 years. They don't serve food anymore??? What did they do with the cafeterias built in to some assembly halls?

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes
    DON'T bring bigass coolers that you need to feed the whole family

LMAO,,,,Badger, I could quote all you said as hiliarious........omg ,,,,,,,it was hard to do the cooler thing with 5 in our family,,,,,,,,,,,,so I didnt.

We damn sure did go back to the motel room, across the street, take a leiserly swim, eat all we wanted, worked on the suntan, etc. I had the three badass kids and I had to let them burn off some pent up hostilities of being made to sit still,,,,,,,they never did. I drug my butt back to the afternoon session at least 30 minutes late, but I was in no hurry.

Hubby of course being the elder had to stay on the grounds,,,,,,,and actually had to do his elder thang, because he didnt do it durning the sessions. He and his other rebellious elder friend were off hiding in a corner talking , or in some room. I even caught them sitting at a grave yard hiding out , sitting there talking about apostate stuff among the dead. The elder friend said well they need to hear the truth too. If we couldnt find them anywhere, usually our friends twins were looking for their dad as well, we figured they snuck off to McD's again..........DURNING the session.........SINNERS!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Oh my gosh you folks are all so young.

Now my age shows. I remeber when...

they actually used to serve real food on sectioned trays. Real mashed potatoes and real chicken a la king and a veggetable (usually over-cooked). Sometimes it would be fried chicken but that was pretty good too. They used to serve some horrid fruit drink but that was before Jim Jones and the purple Koolaid. We had some real chefs in our circuit who volunteered their time to cook for us.

And then it was all gone.

But I do remember when I was in NY inmaybe 68-69? when we ate under tents and the army came in to watch the production. It was wonderful meeting people from all over the world. We actually talked more to others back then. Once they got rid of the cafeterias and we ate at our seats meetings others became limited.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Here ya go!!! The white ones were for the assemblies, the long ones were for the conventions. I can't believe I still have them!

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

I remember at a circuit assembly a district overseer telling us:

"Instead of buying junk from outside to eat buy our junk!" Something to do with proceeds from the food counters was added in to the weekend take of contributions and expenses.

What a corporation, they got it figured down to the circuit level, hall level, international level. They should just end it all and sell public stock, I'll jump in on a IPO.

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

My family was always involved with food service. It was a great way to miss most of the morning session! I have to admit, I always thought the Shasta was crap, but I loved the the pudding they had.

CountryGuy

• LukeN
    LukeN

nice antic find nos. Bethels got some nice food too. i remember going for the tour in the goergetown one.

good eats there

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit