food at the assembly

by LukeN 76 Replies latest jw experiences

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

The got rid of cash for food and went to food stamps because there had been an armed robbery at a large district convention where two JWs were shot to death. I mean, imagine if every one of 40,000 people spent $10 per day - how much cash must have been floating around a bunch of completely unarmed people. The security risk was amazing.

You don't hear that experience being related at the assembly.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I still have some of the coupons,,,,,,,, I was such a zealous kid at 15, that I had a kingdom scrapbook, and if it is not ruined by the rain in storage I will try to find them.

I remember them saying that they found large amounts of uneaten , wasted food in the trash cans.

I personally saw it was the older folks who were hogging all the food,,,,,,,but of course the kids got the blame .

• Valis
    Valis

I ALWAYS made sure I had at least one Shasta and one bag of chips per session...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• a wee scots lass
    a wee scots lass

My goodness, this takes me back! I used to be one of the volunteers to go through to Edinburgh at my own expence I may add - as a poor pioneer - and paint the stands that would be used to sell the food from!!

During the assembly time I would arrive early each day to help prepare the food to be cooked that day!!

What did they do with all that equipment?

PS - Edinburgh was where our District Assemblies took place

Kind regards

Scots lass

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Shasta

Ugggg!!! I remember those.... they cheapest nastiest soft drink they could find. On top of that they were always hot.

• dustyb
    dustyb

i remember all the cheap food too! but then i also remember them saying they've become too poor to provide for their brothers(what a crock of shit)

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

LMAO @ dusty........"crock of Sh*t" now that is what the crock pot full of chili for frito pies tasted like.

Now for the Shasta's , you are right, they were always hot, and the damn things always feel over spilling down every row, getting bibles wet and then turning too this sticky goo under the seat. Guess it mixed with lord knows what that didn't come off the floor when the "most Clean people on the face of the earth" did their mopping before .

It was always embarrassing to have the brother with the giant mop , have to come and mop after a spill. I got some dirty looks for my babies spilling drinks many times. I would hate for this one sister to throw that look at me today..........it would be on!!!!! A throw down at the convention. I am not sweet anymore......

How many of us,,,,,,,,I know Valis did,,,,,,,,ate durning the session even thou we were told not too?

* hand up* ME! Oh I was a rebel don't ya know.

• Teela
    Teela

Maybe because of people like me, When cash was being used I used a 50/50 split between me and the JW's when they used coupons I had to resell my split with a "on no what a silly sister I am I've brought to many coupons would you like to buy some off me, I sell them to you at a cheap rate" and when they just had tokens for a "meal" I wouldn't hand over the token and walk off like I had forgotten and then resell the token. Having my cake and eating it, so to speak.

Not very proud of my behaviour now, but I felt like the wolf amongs't the sheep, which appealed to my sense of humour!

• freedom96
    freedom96

I remember the frozen orange juice, and hot bean burrito's, and the 10 cent coupons.

I agree with previous posts, that really it comes down to money. They had to go to donations, and the donations didn't cover the expense.

So, cover over the real reason, and tell the brothers and sisters that they want everyone to be able to enjoy the "spiritual food" instead.

• Valis
    Valis

Also I remember they were storing much of the food they served in big freezer units...so there's some additional cost cut.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit