food at the assembly

by LukeN 76 Replies latest jw experiences

• LukeN
    LukeN

remember a few years ago 97 and down even more there use to be food at the assemblys(not the big rent-astadium ones)

i remember back then probally being 5,6,7,8 they use to give out food like hots hamburgers chips and so. any idea why there isnt anymore?

• Love_Truth
    Love_Truth

Too many gluttons in the "organization?

Methinks so.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Well, if you go back even further, the meals were even better. When I was young, my father was always in charge of the serving line in the cafeteria at the circuit assembly. A full hot meal would be served every day. And, if you didn't like that, there were always hot dogs, hamburgers, pizza, etc, at the smaller stands. The food used to be the best part of the assembly.

Then they took away the cafeteria. Then they took away the hamburgers and hot dogs. Then they took away the sandwiches. Now, they can concentrate all of their volunteer labor in the donations department.

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

I think they tried to streamline the process and have not as many people working all day instead of taking in the brainwashing. Too many people were having too much fun?

• twinkletoes
    twinkletoes

I thought I had read that stopping the food at assemblies was something to do with tax evasion!!

twink

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

I doubt that was it... probably a cost savings issue. I remember the hot meals (I don't remember them being good - the worst eggs I ever had in my entire life came from an assembly at Dodger Stadium when I was a kid), but I remember them.

My gosh, what are they doing with the huge cafeterias they built for the circuit conventions? Like the one in Escondido CA?

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

From what I remember, they used to sell tickets for the food stands. Then, they moved to the voluntary donation system for the magazines as well as the food. I guess not enough people were donating money for the costs, so they got rid of it completely. Now they're pissed off about the big coolers people bring to the assemblies.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Here is what happened:

The new tax law went into effect forcing them to pay taxes on everything they sold, so they went to a "donation" basis. What they didn't realize is that JWs are incredibly stingy and would go gorge themselves on the food at the assemblies, but would not donate nearly enough to make up for what they ate.

Solution: Stop serving food.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I remember when we bought food , we used little 10cent coupons.

I personally think that they got rid of the food because it went to donations for food, not selling food, and peeps were hogging all of the food and not paying for it.

There were more than two times we went and by the time we got to the front of the line,,,,,,,they would be out of sandwiches and the kids would be so hungry. The first time that happened,,,,,,,a brother saw that my son didnt get a sandwich and he insisted that my young son, 5 or 6 at the the time,,,,take his sandwich. I gladly accepted it and offered him to share some of the other things that I brought with me, apple chuncks.

I remember fruit bags, hoagies, danishes, greasy doughnuts, Shasta, a nasty piece of chicken on a piece of bread.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    I personally think that they got rid of the food because it went to donations for food, not selling food, and peeps were hogging all of the food and not paying for it.

Woah! The flashbacks are happening! I remember during the announcements, they would tell parents to monitor what a child takes from the food stands to ensure enough for everybody. I was told by my mother to watch how much junk food I ate. But hell, all the kids were going to the stands and getting free potato chips, danishes, and Cott Cola.

I might still have some of those tickets. I'll check when I get home. I wonder if the WTS would give me a refund LOL!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit