food at the assembly

by LukeN 76 Replies latest jw experiences

• shamus
    shamus

You put this topic under experiences.

My experience was that the shasta soda and hoagies were terrible, and everyone would freak out because they had lots of pudding but no spoons.

Guess that shows what happens when window washers put on a big event, LOL!~

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

LOL Shamus,,,,,,,,,did you get so deserperate that you used your tongue to lap up the pudding? I mean ya gotta eat rigth? Maybe it had liquified so you could just let it slide down , I hated it when the pudding got warm.

I wonder how many of us really had food poision and thought for sure it must be from some restaurant we ate at in town,,,,never thinking, the brothers were giving us contaminated, sat out too long food?

• Valis
    Valis

see here was the plan..make arrangements to work w/the food crew....get up at 5 in the morning and go make sandwiches at Wil Rodgers Colliseum...keep working and eating free food till the joint opened and then you served to the ...Then when it started you drift blissfully off to sleep till intermission. Mom knows you've been working the whole time so there is no poking or prodding....Go back later to help after intermission w/cleanup and more food prep for tomorrow.....wax on wax off....rinse and repeat..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

So true Val,,,,,,,did you put something in my sammich?????

I remember the announcement about bringing your own food,,,,,,,,,you know them trying to make another excuse other than the real reason behind ditching the food. It was,,,,,,,,so that the dear brothers and sister who work so hard at preparing the food for the ....( hehe Val) could be able to sit durning the sessions with their families and enjoy the truly important "food" , the spiritual food.

They were so slick to blame it on that . Everyone was knodding their head like ,,,,,,,that makes sense,,,so we will make it a hardship on ourselves trying to feed 5 peeps in our family with out the bigass cooler. They could sweet talk us into doing things that made it even harder for ourselves.

We had to go to the grocery store everyday, keep a bigass cooler at least in the room to keep all the lunch meat , etc, cold until the next day, and then repeat. It was easier to sneak over to Burger King. But ,,,,,,,,,ahhhhh, next year,,,,,,,,we were told not to do that.

And why? Because we should be RIGHT THERE ON THE GROUNDS of the convention eating, so we could share in the loving conversations of the brotherhood.

They always had a good reason for what they wanted us to do,,,,,,,,I didn't thou....That is why I am an apostate.

I just might be an assembly example for all I know........".Beware of the Apostates.".......Dear brothers and sisters...it can all start by not following the F& D slave,,,,,,,,,little things,,,,,not following the lead of those who have been directed by JeeeeeeeeeHoVahhhhhhhhh. One sister's downfall, started with disobeience to the little things..........she went to Burger King...yada yada yada.

• Valis
    Valis
    So true Val,,,,,,,did you put something in my sammich?????

do I even wanna roll w/this one?

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• willyloman
    willyloman

Another former food service worker reporting in...

I think in many ways the decision to "simplify" and eliminate food service was the beginning of the end for the WT. My fondest memories "in the truth" stem from those assemblies, where we worked our butts off 12 hours a day with brothers and sisters who became our best friends and comrades. There was a real spirit of cooperation and teamwork in this environment. There is something beneficial about feeding your friends. That's why we have people over for dinner, or take business associates and fellow workers to lunch; it builds a bond.

Many of us were disappointed after food service ended and we had to sit in the stands for hours and listen to an endless supply of dribble from the platform. We'd missed most of that for years because we were backstage or in the adjacent auditorium working, and had no idea how painful a convention could be when you have nothing to do but sit there and take in the empty speeches. I know brothers and sisters who, to this day, are angry that this opportunity to "network" was taken away from them.

There may have been legitimate taxation or logistical reasons for killing off food service, but in the intervening years I've seen a pattern that tells me they did it because some people were having too much fun.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Willyloman said:

had no idea how painful a convention could be when you have nothing to do but sit there and take in the empty speeches.

That is exactly right,,,,,,,,the conventions were painful to sit thru. Many times,,,,literally too....the seats hurt your bum. If you were tall, not me.., you were crammed in that seat for hours. My hubby's legs used to go numb.

I was happy to have three brats when the convention time came,,,,,,,,someone always had to go to the bathroom, someone was always unruly ( we got to sit outside,,,w00t), there was always an excuse to take a kid out. My family and inlaws would fight over who got to take the next kid out.......let me , let me.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

My favorite meal was breakfast - actually the bagels and cream cheese were pretty good...

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Bacon rolls for breakfast! Burgers and chips for lunch , hot coffee and fresh warm doughnuts , Oh how the memories come flooding back .

I can remember back further too, there were the tray meals with your hot meat and veg seperated from the desssert by the tray divisions and if the serving line were clumsy you got some custard with veg!

We later worked on food service too , didnt everybody? . it was hard work, but Fun!! and everyone really felt a part of the experience . Now the assemblies just serve dry "spiritual food" , the kids must get really bored...

I wrote up to the Society once, in the 90's when I was feeling less motivated anyway. I moaned about Assemblies in general and the lack of "Spirit". They blamed the changes on "Direction from the Governing Body and increased legislation" we had been told that European Community legislation required such stringent standards of presentation that it was no longer practical. Of course that did not apply to Hot drinks but I guess they were on the foll of "Simplification" so it had to go.

i just have happy memories of serving the children with ice creams, and it was a particularly mean spirited action on the part of the hirarchy to get rid of it

• onacruse
    onacruse

Well, maybe I missed something, but I don't see anyone talking about the old "tent cafeterias" we used to have...good old metal trays, assembly line service, stand at the plywood tables while you ate, with a brother on a soapbox directing all the traffic with a megaphone.

For some reason, salisbury steak was the weapon of choice.

And before we had all those comfy little Assembly Halls, every assembly weekend run down to the "central hall" and drag out the food service stuff (remember the "Trucking Dept."?)...the worst one was that 500# potatoe mixer...gawd, what a gut-buster it was to get that out of the basement and onto the truck.

As I recall, terminating the food service at assemblies was "officially" stated as being because too many brothers were missing out on the 'program' because they/we were busy setting up. The "unofficial" reason that I was told was that donations were too low and the WTS knew that the IRS would be gunnin' for their ass for taxable business profits...ala the Jimmy Swaggart trial and the shift to 'voluntary donation.'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit