What do you collect?

by FlyingHighNow 118 Replies latest jw friends

• Odrade
    Odrade

I'm a collecting freak. Otherwise known as packrat. Let's see... I collect elephants, which are part of a larger collection of african wildlife. I collect Harmony Kingdom treasure Jest boxes. Minerals and crystals. Handblown glass art, (vases, ornaments, platters,) Cocktail plates. Teapots, china. Seriously, my house is waaay not child-proof. Hmmm, books like crazy. If I don't get to Powells at least once a week I get the jitters. Oh yeah, and tropical fish! haha. I have two freshwater tanks and a saltwater, and I'm going to "upgrade" the saltwater tank, which means I'll have an extra tank again. More fish! whoohoo!

Odrade

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Here's something interesting for you Canadians regarding our beloved "Loonie":

(taken from http://www.snopes.com/business/money/loonie.asp )

Claim: A loon appears on Canada's one-dollar coin because the original dies, featuring a different design, were lost in transit.

Origins: Although
    Canada, like its American cousin, had long had a "silver" dollar, the dollar hadn't seen much use as a circulated coin in the latter part of the 20th century; citizens of both countries greatly preferred their respective homelands' one-dollar banknotes. One-dollar bills, however, are now impractical when viewed from a cost-benefit basis: they wear out, necessitating replacement far more frequently than dollar coins would. Paper currency has a life expectancy of nine months, whereas coins are good for twenty years.

In 1987 Canada's currency underwent a major change with the introduction of "the loonie," that country's new gold-colored one-dollar coin. The loonie was created to replace the one-dollar bill, which was to be removed from circulation through attrition; worn-out dollar bills would continue to be destroyed, but no new stock of paper currency would take their place. Canadians were given one year to become accustomed to the metal dollar coin, then the Bank of Canada ended distribution of one-dollar banknotes, leaving the loonie supreme.

Prior to 1987, Canada's silver dollar coin featured two men in a fur-laden canoe, a depiction of the voyageurs who had dared the wilderness in that country's early days. When Canada decided to replace one-dollar bills with one-dollar coins the 1935 Emanuel Hahn "voyageur" design was adapted for the new coin, but something went awry -- the master dies of the new one-dollar coin were lost in transit.

The dies, which had been produced in Ottawa, were being shipped to production facilities in Winnipeg. According to an investigation conducted by the Royal Canadian Mint, they had been entrusted to a courier service on 3 November 1986 and were never seen again. The dies' being sent by courier was in itself a breach of accepted security procedures (transport of the dies should have been handled by a high-security outfit such as Brinks), but there was more. No one had asked the courier company representative who had appeared to take possession of the package for identification. And both dies, the obverse and reverse of the new coin, had been bundled into the same shipment, meaning that whoever had the package also had the dies for striking both sides of the new coin. (The two sides should have been shipped separately to rule out this possibility.)

Although the Royal Canadian Mounted Police assert the dies were merely lost in transit, others believe they were stolen by folks intent upon minting their own money. With this possibility looming, the Mint undertook to redesign the coin to foil potential counterfeiters. They had an alternate Robert-Ralph Carmichael design featuring a loon on hand and quickly gained government approval for its use. Dies were cut, and the gold-colored dollars were loosed upon the Canadian public on 30 June 1987, meeting the schedule for the release date of the original "voyageurs" coin.

The subject of the coin's design prompted its own nomenclature. Canadians quickly dubbed the new coin "the loonie," and that name has stuck through the years. Piggy banks became "loonie bins." In 1996, the "toonie" joined the loonie in the pockets of Canadians as a new dual-metalled coin took the place of the two-dollar bill. Also known as "the queen with the bear behind" (Queen Elizabeth II on one side, bear on the other), the toonie gained its name from a combination of "two" and "loonie."

The loonie, by the way, might be gold colored, but it contains no gold. It is made of aureate bronze plated on pure nickel.

• simplesally
    simplesally

I wish I could collect more money! If anyone wants to donate to my collection, just pm me and I will give you my address. Personal checks and PayPal will be accepted.

• sandy
    sandy

Valis - No, I have not heard of The Loved One. What is it about and who stars in it?

Simplesally - LOL

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup
    Debt .

LOL @ xjw! I can hear that all the way from Canada!!!

I also like collecting 8-tracks, however, I only collect ones that I can actually stand listening to (sorry, I don't have a copy of Harry's Happy Organ Music Vol 4). 8-tracks that were made in the 1980s are much harder to come by. The great thing about them is buying them, fixing them, then finally listening to them. It seems they're much more difficult to come by than records.

Nos - I must have had 80 8-tracks that I up and gave away in the early '90's! I even had one that the label said contained Fleetwood Mac's Tusk, but when I played it, it was really The Village People with YMCA! Man, if I'da only known.... could have helped me get rid of the same collection xjw was referring to!!!

I also collect antique teacups and saucers, the US quarters (hey Valis! I'm missing Alabama! Have you seen any of those, yet?!), all-things chicken and/or rooster, antique food tins, and houseplants. I must have 50 of them all over my house! (Between Galaxy's birds and my plants, we could have our own tropical forest right here above the equator!)

growedup

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Well I am a true collector of everything of interest. I have 3 mini miniture Royal Doulton's Tobies. I just had the three appraised in September of last year 2003, At present these three pieces are valued at 1,000.$ I collect birds owls ,hawk, eagles, swans, lovebirds and a cardinal and doves, and all of these pieces are from collectoins. I have lots of teddy bears, got a Koala bear from my friend in Australia, I collect plates with dates and stamp impressions and numbers. I own 2dozen Waterford wine goublets. And I have crystal bowls and plates. I collect alot of crockery and brownware. Angels of all sorts. Containers with silver tops from the altars of churches. I also have a large Budda, and little buddas. I have glass eggs and creamers milkers and sugar bowls all from England. I also have three small ceramic tile about 2inches squared. of Holland and they are pretty. I have dinky cars planes, and helicopters and a motor cycle. all in tip top shape from Matchbox to hotwheels and tonga minitures. few hundred comic books and post cards with stamps still on them for the earliar part of the last century. I have a weaving loom with four harnesses. Listen we live in a one bedroom apt. and Marco and I are rat packers. We have spice dolls and a merrionette, and dolls from France of Bernadette Suburu, how say the virgin mary in a dirty grotto. I also have spanish dolls with full colour costumes and I collect knifes, and old scrapbooks. and a pair of binoculars and a new swift telescope.

And add to that the dust bunny parade, I am set up for life. I am always wheeling and dealing and if anyone would like to buy sell or trade I would love to hear from u.

I love paintings and boxes that are decrative. I have military pictures of my grandfather when he went overseas to work as a medic in the second world war.

I have a collection of canes and I love to widdle canes and walking sticks in the summer if I go on a trail to see beautiful wildlife. I collect tools any tools I am a tool freak. I also love would carvings and anything that deals with the canadian or north amercian indians as I am Ojibwa. I have three lovely pipes and I smoke them , I have great cigars and I buy my smokes from the indian reservations and my favourite thing is the peace pipe and sweet grass.. yummmy

Well now that you have gained further into the mind of Orangefatcat, you can see what I am made of .

Love to all Orangefatcat.Orange Fat Cat 15 Double Kiss

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Rocks, minerals, fossils, shells. Chess boards and chess men. Cribage boards. I used to collect plants for my herb garden. Medicinals and toxic plants. I am not into collecting marketed items, but I make the exception for Coke glasses and stuff.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    boogers dustyb

Dusty, Too bad they can't use them to make a cure for cancer and aids. The world of humankind is a never ending source!

i collect 'the american conservative' magazine every 2 weeks. i stick them into a cellophane wrapper to cherish for the rest of my life. PleasureDome

Pleasure, that is intersting since you are from Great Britain. I was reading the posts on this thread to Andy when I came to yours. He said, "And he's from Britain isn't he?" with a smile.

I'm a collecting freak. Otherwise known as packrat. Odrade

Odrade, sounds like it. All that in just 33 years. I wonder if I would be good at aquariums.
    I wish I could collect more money! SimpleSally

Sally, I keep trying to figure out ways to do this myself. I mean besides working.

Well now that you have gained further into the mind of Orangefatcat, you can see what I am made of .Love to all Orangefatcat.

Orange, you sound like you have the makings of a great museum there. How ever do you fit it all in a one bedroom apartment? Is it a large apartment?

I am not into collecting marketed items, but I make the exception for Coke glasses and stuff.DarkUncle29

DarkUncle, I love fresh herbs. Mmmmm.

Thank you all for sharing. I hope I haven't missed anyone. I hope you all will keep them coming.

Heather

• Valis
    Valis
    Valis - No, I have not heard of The Loved One. What is it about and who stars in it?

notice its adifferent color in my post? Just click on the title and it will take you to the move. Lots of famous people Rod Stieger, Roddy Mcdowel to name a couple..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• alias
    alias
    Yes, Sassy collects friends. You should see her collection!!! She keeps them all in glass curio cabinets. They are getting so squished in their and let me tell you a secret: most of them really need a bath! Sometimes she lets them out so she can change their clothes or comb their pretty hair.

LOL SimpleSally, that was hilarious!

I'm not much into collecting physical things... but my recollections are uncanny!

alias

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit