What do you collect?

by FlyingHighNow 118 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Minerals crystals, agates & fossilsI also have a huge collection of various sized dust particles
    Angharad

Angharad my daughter once had a very nice collection, too. We use to go the mineral shows and museums. I am always more comfortable visiting someone who collects dust.

Why144000 Wherever did you find 1st century coins? Were they expensive?

~I have about 10,000 comics, and 400 DVD's. Most of my friends dont bother with blockbusters. Mmmm, maybe I should start charging them. yxl1

yxl1 I used to buy comic books when I was a child for 12cents. I wonder how much some of them would be worth now.

Honestly, I collect: telephones.

RayzorBlade I never knew anyone who collected telephones. I have seen collections in museums. I loved the little field telephone for G.I.Joes my brothers had. There is something magical about miniature versions of things.

Great question Flying High Now Rayzorblade

Thanks, Ray, I find it fascinating to see or hear about what people collect. It helps you get to know them sometimes better than anything they could say.

Teddy bears...... Gadget

How nice. Andy still has his teddybear from when he was a little boy. It's tattered and you can see how much love a once upon-a-time little boy put into it.

Books. Lots of books.
    Fortunately I can make my own bookcases, so they are floor to ceiling jobs LitteToe

LittleToe We love books, too. We don't have a lot of room though so we have them in boxes. I love to see big bookshelves with interesting books in people's homes. I always say, if I ever have the extra room, it will be a library. I loved the library in the Disney animation of Beauty and The Beast.

Perfume bottles, not on purpose I just hold them because I like them ...FrenchBabyFace

FrenchBabyFace How cool, I used to collect miniture perfume bottles when I was a little girl. Most of them came from my grandmother. I still have a couple of them with perfume still in them.

That is my collection,its a paradise on earth in my living room galaxy7

Galaxy7 It sounds like a veritable tropical jungle I love birds.

hmmmm... how about friends.. I love collecting friends.. little umbrellas from those pretty drinks.. SimpleSally and I used to have a contest.. Sassy

Sassy, I can tell this about you. You are always so warm and geuinely interested in your fellow posters here. I bet you have a big collection. I used to love those umbrellas when I was a little girl; so they still hold a kind of small magic. My brother and I tried to make some but they just weren't the same.

Empty beer cans. Every once in a while I get off my butt and pick them all up. Sargon

Sargon, I knew a couple once, who wallpapered their living room with a massive wall of various beer cans. Also, when they used to come with removable pull tabs, people used to make mesh curtains with them. Decorating with beer cans, ey?

boarding passes from all the flights I have ever made....stillajwexelder

stillajwexelder, do you have a lot of them?

minerals (?)Mineralogist

Mineralogist: How vast is your collection?

What an interesting way to get to know each all better. When this thread grows we'll have a collection of interest about JWD posters' collections.

Heather

Edited to add:

( I cannot imagine why, because the older I am getting the more I am DETESTING religion)franklin J
    shot glasses Starbucks mugs too,MulanDebt.xjw_b12

Franklin J, maybe the history involved fascinates you?

Mulan, I had a cool one from the St. James Hotel in Cimmaron, NM, the kids put in the dishwasher and it washed off all of the paint! Starbucks needs to make some miniature mugs.

xjw_b12, I'm sorry.

• maxwell
    maxwell

Can I say what I would like to collect if I had the room and perhaps a little more money? I live in a small apartment so there is not enough room to collect the two things I'd like to collect, which are old computers and bicycles. There's a couple of old computers at my parent's house, that I wish I could have kept, but I simply don't have the room. I had to throw out my last computer when it went kaput. I would have kept it if I had the room. It doesn't seem to hard or expensive to find old computers either. Bicycles would be a little different. I'm not particularly interested in old ones, just different types. Right now I have two hybrid bicycles; one is closer to a road bike. But I'd love to own some road and mountain bikes in several different flavors and in working condition. Mountain bikes in full-suspension and no suspension. Then there's the recumbents. I'll probably eventually get a moutain bike and a road bike although I may have to sell one of my hybrids to make room. "How many bikes should you have? One more than you have now." Not sure who originated that but I like it. :) There's a comedy movie star (can't remember his name now) who's a friend of Lance Armstrong who has thousands of bicycles stabled in a garage somewhere in much the same way as Jay Leno collects cars.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I collect information; historical, religious, philosphical, political, art, music; mostly in digital format, because it takes less space. I would like to be a money collector, but it seems i need to give it away in order to live. Oh well.

Do y'all realise that collectors are obsessives, and collecting is an obsession?

Franklin

I agree w you on the art. I collect digital art; religious, psychedelic, nature, etc.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Starbucks needs to make some miniature mugs.

They did at Christmas time, and they were ornaments, so cute. The cities had no meaning to me, so I didn't buy them ..................a 4-pack.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Can I say what I would like to collect if I had the room and perhaps a little more money?

Maxwell, of course you can. I have a suggestion for you: until you do have the room for a real collection, you can find pics and info about all types of old computers here on the net. You can collect the pics and info in a file. If you have Windows ME you can keep the file in My Documents/My Pictures. If you convert the pic files into Jpeg or Bitmap format you can make a slideshow and watch your collection. You could do it with bicycles as well. One day when you have the money to buy a house of your own, be sure to have a big garage. Then you can have a little bike museum in it.

Heather

• Valis
    Valis

I need to build some shelves for my cameras...eh so I can get more cameras that is...ehehe I've got 47 in plain sight and probably another 10 of 15 packed away...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I need to build some shelves for my cameras...eh so I can get more cameras that is...ehehe I've got 47 in plain sight and probably another 10 of 15 packed away...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Valis, how far back do your camera's date? I love to look at vintage cameras and to see the actual photographic quality of pictures they made. I once checked out a book for my kids from the library about the photographic history of the pioneer trek to the west of the US. These photos dated back earlier than 1850. Until then I had no idea cameras dated back so far. We loved to book.

Heather

• Xena
    Xena

My daughter collects pocket dragons

aren't they cute????

I suppose I collect books....I never get rid of any...I love to re-read them. Mainly historical stuff.

I tried collecting men but they kept escaping

• meat pie
    meat pie

Hello Heather, I collect knitting machines, also patterns for hand and machine knitting and other yarn crafts. My H is very understanding of my K/machine obsession, but I have voluntarily slowed down as I currently have over 20, some set up permanently and we have to sleep on the landing with about 12 around us. I do knit! I like to strip them down and clean them up and get old and decrepit ones going again. If I can pass them on I do, it means I can get MORE!

Shirley,(heaven for me is made of Knitting machines, meat pies and lurchers)

• simplesally
    simplesally

Yes, Sassy collects friends. You should see her collection!!! She keeps them all in glass curio cabinets. They are getting so squished in their and let me tell you a secret: most of them really need a bath! Sometimes she lets them out so she can change their clothes or comb their pretty hair.

~~~~ Sally, of the "sleep with one eye open" class

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit