What do you collect?

by FlyingHighNow 118 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I always loved museums, abbeys and stately homes as a child and feel happy being surrounded by things that have a history and like to have candlelight rather than electric light .I think I was born in the wrong centuaryReboot

Reboot, I have had this romantic idea of England and really the whole of British Isles since I was a child. This is the very kind of house I always imagined visiting. I love candle light, too. I had a JW friend who made Wednesday night a no electricity night. They burned candles, oil lamps and lanterns, played music as they were all very talented musicians. Sometimes they read, played games, etc. When you went into her house you felt you were in home rather than just a house. Everything they had had some special meaning right down to the houseplants. This one was a cutting from her grandmother's wondering jew or that one was given to her by a cherished friend.

I am one of those people who collect junk. I have a hard time throwing anything away and I took this partly after my family. Anyway, I am actually in the process of doing a lot of cleaning and throwing away of stuff that I won't use again. Ron

Ron, I know what you mean. If I don't weed regularly I tend to collect too much, too. Then I get overwhelmed by it all. Then I come to my senses and chip away at it one bit at a time. Good luck and let us know how it goes. It's always wonderful to stand back and look at it all when you've finished.

Heather

• Ron1968
    Ron1968

Heather,

Actually it was funny that I was working on throwing stuff out when I found this post. I have already made about 4 big trips to the dumpster today. I am actually beginning to see some daylight now! It feels good too to have things neat and orderly. I would recommend it to all!

Ron

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    It feels good too to have things neat and orderly. I would recommend it to all!

Ron

Ron, well now I am inspired. I have been piddling around cleaning here and there but I need to pick up the energy and enthusiasm. The energy of your post has rubbed off on me. I'll get cracking tomorrow. I have the day off! Thank you.

Heather

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

I love reading about other people's collections!

Personally, I collect cheap, plastic souvenir snowglobes. I have ridiculously stringent rules for what is acceptable for display in my collection (must be snow not glitter, location must be in the dome, must include a feature unique to the location/attraction, etc.) and am thrilled when I find one that I like. I've been collecting since I was a kid, and in the last few years have discovered the secondary ebay market as one of the best places to find new items for my collection. I've been known to spend too much on an item I really like. Wow, when I read it in black and white like this, it a little bit sad, really. But kitschy!

My husband has a collection of inappropriate, but well intentioned and non-blasphemous (that's an important distinction), images of Jesus. Among his favorites are his Jesus action figure, his porcelain statues of Jesus playing various sports with children, and his velvet painting of Jesus with his arms outstretched over an 18 wheel truck. (I try to make sure I'm at least an arms length away from him when he adds an item to his collection so that the lightning doesn't strike me by mistake...)

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I've been collecting since I was a kid, and in the last few years have discovered the secondary ebay market as one of the best places to find new items for my collection. Sara Annie

I love snow globes though I don't have any myself. I even enjoy looking at the animated snowglobe gifs you can find on line at this time of year. How many do you have and how do you display them?

My husband has a collection of inappropriate, but well intentioned and non-blasphemous (that's an important distinction), images of Jesus.

Has your husband seen Conan O'Brien's spoof Jesus Sports figurines? They are a take off on some real ones made by a Catholic Company. Here is a link for the serious statues: http://www.catholicshopper.com/products/inspirational_sport_statues.html I liked his Jesus: Picked Last. How about the Buddy Jesus? I've seen someone uses this for their avatar here on JWD or at least they used to. I don't find them irreverant. I think Jesus probably has a great sense of humor.

Heather

• Valis
    Valis

I am about to be the recipient of a very special collectable from one of our other long time and, I say in the most beautiful way, another grandma we have here. talley! I can't wait for my new old camera...*smiles big* I promise to give it a good home and a place of distinction and notice in my home. Thank you so much!...Totally makes up for no Secret Santa! Take care and please, if there is anything I can ever do for you just ask. Need to post some family pics or need some webspace for your own web page please...just ask, it is yours for the taking. Thanks again and now I'm off to go stalk the mail man till my camera arrives!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer of the "Spoiled Rotten" class

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Books, sharks teeth, shells, fossils, stamps, 50 States U.S. quarters, medals.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I am about to be the recipient of a very special collectable from one of our other long time and, I say in the most beautiful way, another grandma we have here. talley! Valis

Valis, did she read about your camera collecting here on JWD? On this thread even? If so, how very cool and you have to let us all know when it arrives. How exciting.

Books, sharks teeth, shells, fossils, stamps, 50 States U.S. quarters, medals.Kenneson

Kenneson, do you have all of the quarters they've released up until now? Andy was collecting them before we met and so I started helping him after we met. I work in a gift shop and I have the cashiers look out for the new ones as well. It's kind of fun. I also get a kick out of the late night talk show hosts making up silly ones for laughs. That could be a fun party game, just coming up with different quarter themes funny and serious ones.

I am so pleased that so many are continually adding to this thread. It's been interesting reading.

Heather

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Books, art, (cds count huh?), wine....ok I drink all that...

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Books, art, (cds count huh?), wine....ok I drink all that...JoannaDandy

Yes, CDs do count. Especially to all of us music lovers. How many do you have? What kind of music do you like?

Heather

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit