Did you get " Counseled " about the Music you Listened to While you were a JW ?

by flipper 87 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I did not grow up as a JW, so I had my music.

I was the idiot who pretty much shelved his heavy metal and did what "Mother" said.

I remember having a stupid discussion with another JW about RADAR LOVE and we decided it was okay because the guy could be singing about being physically separated from his wife.

Because I picked up my music again when I cast aside my JW beliefs, this was a very dear song to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4EFddbHkRo

I don't allow myself to listen to AC DC and many other groups unless I am able to turn up the volume.

• Clambake
    Clambake

When I was growing up as a kid in the 80s my church really had a hate on for KISS. It's funny cause there was much more scary bands out there like vemon and king diamond.

Anyway years later we had a KISS day in the office. Basically listened to them for 10 years straight. KISS in reality is about as scary as the beach boys. They aren't even that good of musicians thus the lack of respect for their musical peers. That and the fact they were basically the first boy band.

Too funny

• sissyb
    sissyb
    I once bought an Elton John album. My dad went through my records shortly after, (he would occasionally rummage through my room) , and he dragged me back to the store and forced them to let me to exchange it. I ended up with Billy Joel. But I was never so humiliated in my life. I'll never forget him yelling at the guy saying "this singer is a homosexual and that goes against the Bible's teachings. I do not wanty daughter listening to this music". I still cringe when I think of it.
  • xelder
    xelder

FLIPPER !!! you and your SATANIC debasing music!!!

The birds of heaven will be pecking out your eyeballs, then the temple of God will be cleansed. Jehovah HATES electric guitars!!! Would Jesus play your immoral music???

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds
    sissyb: I've always found that odd. A lot of JWs won't listen to a certain artist because the artist gay. however, pretty much every musician, straight or gay is absolutely swimming in pussy. So i guess fornication is ok as long as it's a heterosexual thing.
  • redpilltwice
    redpilltwice

Love your story, glad you enjoy life and music so much! Music is our god-given right to enjoy/express ourselves. No one should take that away from anyone. I threw away lots of good stuff in the 90's, like Iron Maiden, Nirvana and Metallica. It brought me the approval of the elders and eventually I became one myself, always doing the "right" thing. That is...until my fading! Good they don't know what I'm listening to during these days of anger. But I never got counseled myself nor did I hear of others around me. I did hear of one occasion when they checked the private music collection on bethel. There was quite a revenue of "worldly" music and a "soft" pressure to get rid of it.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Didn't they announce back in the 80's at one of the assemblies that the Dubs should be careful of what they listen to? Because I remember a Sis that came of our house for the weekly Book Study said she was so proud of her son, she didn't even have to remind him to go through his music and he see what was demonic, he did it himself, such a proud JW mom . . . . ugh

• ducatijoe
    ducatijoe

"Bat out of Hell" by Meat loaf. Now I play it all the time.FREEDOM!

• JRK
    JRK

It was fun singing (screaming) with OTWO on the loneliest road in Nevada with the top down on the Jeep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXMWNhCmLUg

JK

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    Constantly. I threw out heaps of music. When I was at Bethel, an elder told me off for a CD of classical music called Classic for Lovers, because it had a photo of two people kissing on it. He warned it would influence me to immorality. He was disfellowshipped shortly afterwards for adultery - bunch of hypocrites.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit