Did you get " Counseled " about the Music you Listened to While you were a JW ?

by flipper 87 Replies latest jw friends

• xelder
    xelder
    Quit listening to BACH !!!! That was church music!!!
  • JeffT
    JeffT
    When i converted I trashed a lot of really classic Rock vinyl on the advice of a JW roommate. Got rid of Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Doors, and King Crimson. I've replaced most of it on CD now, but the King Crimson is hard to find.
  • 10thplague
    10thplague
    Same! I started hiding my favorite music when my folks threw out my Incubus albums.
  • Spiral
    Spiral

I knew a lot of teens who had to throw out their music. A few had me hide it for them until their parents got over the "scare" of worldly music. hahahahaha

My Dad wasn't a witness so I was automatically "bad association" to the adults. I didn't matter, and was not watched much. I could also do what I wanted because my Mom was just too lazy to check. ***clueless***

Now you can have everything on your phone or ipad (or where ever, no tapes or vinyl to hide) and the older generation has no idea. The teenagers now must be loving it.

• Spectre
    Spectre

Word got to the elders that 3 of my friends and I were going to one of those "rock concerts". We were all hauled into the back room and told how we were supposed to be role models for all the younger ones (we were all 20 or so at the time) and also worried we were going to try the pot at such a worldly place.

One of us backed out but me and two others went. Epic show of Deep Purple with the classic Blackmore, Gillan, Lord, Paice and Glover line-up.

We went to a bunch of other shows over the year. Never was a word mentioned to anyone so no need for further counselling.

• life is to short
    life is to short

When I was single this MS who I babysat for came into my home and went through my records and found 1999 by Prince. OH MY GOD he just royally flipped out and made me feel like scum.

Oh how I wish I could have known he would become a JW. I would have said you mean I have to get rid of brother Prince.

Mostly I hide my music and didn't talk about it to anyone. I was also really tame. My parents were insane and forbid me to listen to any rock when Elvis died I was about 9 or 10 years old and I was watching TV they broke the show I was watching to say he had died. I did not have a clue who he was and went and asked my mom. She told me he was some crazy rock singer that we should not listen to.

Yeah the joys of growing up in the cult.

LITS

• Lieu
    Lieu

Modern music can't be any worse than the sex laden Song of Solomon .... :-D

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Constantly. Also bands I was in.
  • Praxis
    Praxis

As someone raised as a witness who's family members mostly go to the hall, their perception of music annoys me. I remember a talk from when I was 11-12(right before I stopped going) about music that mentioned Deicide and King Diamond. That was the only time I heard specific bands mentioned that are actually into Satanic things. As a musician myself, I've tried to explain to my grandparents that 99% of people in metal bands aren't demonic or worshiping Satan or anything like that and that other than the rare exception, most of them are just normal people like me who just happen to enjoy playing and listening to heavy music. A down tuned highly distorted guitar tone with frequent tremolo picking and a drummer playing lots of double bass and blast beats doesn't make it demonic.

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

In the mid 60s I loved to listen to Led zep. I played whole lot of love so loud my parents can hear it down the street. Wow they broke the record. My folks listened to lawrence welk music. I always thought when I get old I will hate rock and roll and love lawrence welk. Guess what I am old and still like rock. I play it loud in my Jeep and at home. My kids think am a cool dad at 65.

So Jeff T I did a search for King Crimson on DEEZER music service, I found it.

That brought back memories

Just to add I hated when there was a "sister" who said not to listen to Carlos Santana because "Santana" means Satin. So sick

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit