Did you get " Counseled " about the Music you Listened to While you were a JW ?

by flipper 87 Replies latest jw friends

• kaik
    kaik
    Yes, for any music. For modern music, for techno, for folk music that my dad loved, for classical music, because it was used in church.
  • crazy_flickering_light
    crazy_flickering_light

I was to a meeting (a elder pushed me to go) for working a bethel. One rule was, no hiphop, no rap or metal - 3 from 3, so I was out. Why should I go somewhere, where bad music is the standard?

From this time I hide my music...

• AFRIKANMAN
    AFRIKANMAN

Mrs and I are both formally trained muso's -

I am 60 now [damn] so I identify strongly with the 70's Rock era, being my teen years - We were constantly counseled about the dangers of just about everything unless it was Ray Conniff and Singers ! At one DC, there was a talk on music and we were encouraged to trash our questionable vinyls /

I am a percussionist [Latin] and of course cut my teeth on Santana - so you can imagine the references to the demonic music of good ol Carlos eg the album Abraxas / Black Magic Women / Evil Ways etc

I played in Folk Rock and Jazz groups and was very into the 69 Woodstock outpourings - some of the greatest music that ever was imho - And that did not endear me to the elders if they were savvy enough to even know of the artists.

The music scene is now so vast that any elders wishing to police the music tastes would have a hard time keeping up /

We currently play the Doors [riders] and Zeppelin's Stairway in our repertoire / albeit very softened back-groundy versions - We do Restaurant Wedding and Corporate gigs - but I wont have any hounders after me no-moh ! We is far-out now man !

• A.proclaimer
    A.proclaimer

I think the music has shifted away more from rock and roll since its from an older generation at this point, at least for classic rock bands. I say this because I knew of a ministerial servant who liked rock and played in a rock band when he was younger JW. An elders son is into classic rock and the heavier stuff. Once a heavy screamo type song popped up by accident at a party when music was being played out of his iPod (oops). His dad (the elder) liked classic rock. But there is still a sting on it. One Sunday talk mentioned alternative rock and how it's too heavy to listen to and so on. Except "alternative rock" is a really vague genre, could range from soft indie rock to heavy grunge. Growing up, I was told to be careful by my parents but I like listening to classic rock.

Nowadays it's probably more like rap or pop music. There's a lot of suggestive and explicit lyrics there, more direct than in classic rock.

• tiki
    tiki

I grew up in the sixties and my crazy mother thought anything on the radio was evil....while she'd waft around the house chanting some Maurice chevalier about I want to be kissed.... Peter Paul and Mary were okay....also Simon and garfunkel....other than that no way. I snuck my 45's....haha

But flipper....seriously ..... Knights (templar) in white satin!!! I love love love the moody blues....Tuesday afternoon.....yup......

• done4good
    done4good

My music taste was well established by the time I was baptized at 15. Same stuff you were/are into, Doors, Hendrix, Zep, Beatles, Who, Sabbath, etc. I remember early on, a rather cool slightly older sister, who used to drive me to meetings occasionally before I drove, (she had same music taste as I did), told me some nonsense about demonic messages in playing Stairway backwards. She was indeed cool enough to say, "Do what you want with that information", but stupid, guilty me decided to throw all of my Led Zep out. Idiot...That was in 1988, (incidentally, that same year, there was an MS in our hall that was a VP at Atlantic Records at the time, and went to Atlantic's 40th Anniversary show, where a reunited Zep actually played. His wife was a BIG Led Zep fan...). I bought it all back in the early 90s. I never let that happen again.

I learned early on to keep my music to myself, until I got to know people. Over the years, I learned that many JWs listened to the same stuff I did.

d4g

• done4good
    done4good

JeffT- When i converted I trashed a lot of really classic Rock vinyl on the advice of a JW roommate. Got rid of Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Doors, and King Crimson. I've replaced most of it on CD now, but the King Crimson is hard to find.

Two weekends ago I picked up a new vinyl copy on 200 gram vinyl, (yes, I still play LPs by choice), of King Crimson's In the Wake of Poseidon. Great record.

d4g

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

My Mom hated the song Lay Down Sally by Eric Clapton. The more she complained, the louder I turned the music up! lol

No wonder I turned out so evil!

• brandnew
    brandnew

Parents were hippies, mom loves to this day carlos santana .."black magic woman.......and pops still plays his credance clear water......ROLLIN ON A RIVER!!!!!

So the ban on music neve

r happened in my house.

Mad Puppy

• DJS
    DJS

The Dark Lords' intrusion into this part of our personal conscience and freedom of choice was one of the defining moments of my exit. Their pharisaical semi, near, almost, kinda sort, mini-me rule making annoyed me and was becoming oppressive, but I listened to what I wanted. When they started making defining rules for what my children and I could listen to, such as rap, and including it in a study article of the WT that we shouldn't listen to any of it, I wrote them a letter telling them kindly but directly that this was my business as a parent and none of theirs.

I received a letter in response telling me I of course was correct but reminding me that some of us (me) are expected to tow the line, or some such nonsense, since I was in the BOE.

It may be one of the few times the Dark Lords admitted to being wrong. I kept the letter for years. This was one of the straws that broke this camel's back.

And if there are any Dark Lord wraiths hovering around this site to find out dark data to return to Mordor with and present it to the Dark Lords, please tell your lord and masters I listen to what I fukking want to listen to, and so do my kids. And they can kiss my ass.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit