Balls of Steel or just plain stupidity ???

by Xandria 95 Replies latest social current

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Yes, Dubya drank and snorted almost everything in West Texas.

Yikes! Just got an image of what it would be like to get a snort of sand in my sinuses

• Satanus
    Satanus

Dakota

In your checking of the possibility w bush's parentage intervening for him, consider also his grandfather, prescott bush. He was high, politically and corporately speaking.

SS

• little witch
    little witch

I thought Bush's trip was moral lifting. The looks of suprise and gratitude were evident on the faces of the soldiers.

BreakingBenjamin, No I was rather impressed by his flight suit, and landing. He is not someone who is removed from military duty.

When my Grandpa passed away two years ago, and got his gun salute, tears of pride poured down my face (grandpa faught in WW2). I wasn't even alive then. But I felt so proud of him and all he had sacrificed. You see, that sticks with a family forever, it becomes a part of you.

Although I am more inclined on the Republican side, I feel Clinton was a good prez, but the atmosphere was different. (I do feel he ignored the need to aggressivly fight terrorism though) but I do not blame him....

911 changed everything. If you think for one moment that Bill Clinton would have been passive when those towers came down, you are sadly mistaken. At that point even Bill would have been "called to duty".

Thank God for our troops and their families, I love you all so much!

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I was impressed.

I think that Bush did not "have" to make this trip, but he felt obligated to. He took a risk - one ameliorated to a great extent by the precautions they took, but still a risk - and did something I never thought he would do. I'm young, I've never seen a President do this kind of thing. I don't even remember Clinton's visit to Kosovo - although I was a dub at the time and must plead stupidity.

I think that most people are basically good, even politicians - and when the metal meets the meat, they will usually do the right thing.

From my conversations with soldiers, I don't get the sense that they are angry with Bush. I do sense a reluctance on the part of some of them to go into active duty, especially the reserves who perhaps thought they would never have to do it - however, I think it might be a comfort thing, an unsettling of their plans to include fulfilling the job they promised to do.

I think it was leadership. However, I think that leading a brigade into the Afghanistan hills to capture Osama might be taking the Teddy Roosevelt image a little far. However, if he'd driven a tank around Mosul, it might have done something more for morale. ON the other hand, his job IS to stay in the backfield. If he got whacked, it would be VERY bad for morale.

However, in an age of evil and mediocrity, even the above average act of bravery seems like a mountain.

CZAR

• Xandria
    Xandria

<Xan> smiles.. I just love when people openly dialog and learn from eachother.

X.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Sixy: If it was two months later that would have been my son standing at the bottom of air force one waiting for the President. So yes I would say Bush was in danger, but chose to go anyway. I think the Gold Star Mom's that have lost sons would say that the fight now is just as heart wrenching as Vietnam.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

So Xandria you're happy to see the exchange here. With the title you posted are you leaning towards his being stupid or ballsy?

I got to speak to a lot of people about this event today. The majority of my friends are very liberal yet only one wasn't impresssed by Bush's visit. The rest admire him for this single act if not much else.

He went way up my esteem ladder.

• lastcall
    lastcall

I was impressed ...it was a nice gesture..also politically savy.

It would be foolish to think that poll numbers weren't a factor, but that is true of any politician.

In any case, it was a good thing to do, and I give him credit,. I know the troops there appreciated it also.

LC

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    I think the Gold Star Mom's that have lost sons would say that the fight now is just as heart wrenching as Vietnam.

No doubt about that! A very good reason to be holding the commander in chief's feet to the fire.

History is more than just a good idea-generator for gut-wrenching war scripts. It's to be learned from. With your son in the military, I find it shocking that you could be favourably disposed towards Bush.

• Panda
    Panda

I am very proud of President Bush for going to Iraq. I believe that this is something he would want to have done not only for the good PR but because he genuinely cares about other people. He is a truly regular kind of guy. And for me that means the typical American nice guy. Even Australian women want to marry American guys because they are just plain old nice guys. So that's President Bush, and I imagine that he would've stayed there if he could've.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit