Balls of Steel or just plain stupidity ???

by Xandria 95 Replies latest social current

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Dakota, if you were in the National Guard in the circumstances that Bush was, during Vietnam, you were indeed dodging the war if not the draft; using your family and influence to keep you home (and keep you out of trouble for being in essence AWOL from the National Guard for half a year or more). People who actually believed the war was wrong, and said so and acted accordingly, have more respect from me than someone like Bush.

As someone who didn't have a rich influential daddy to keep you out of 'nam, I'm surprised it doesn't bother you, but then again, you appear to me to have sworn allegiance to a partisan cause.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith
    Dakota, if you were in the National Guard in the circumstances that Bush was, during Vietnam, you were indeed dodging the war if not the draft;

Ummm, nice knock on the National Guard. He still served regardless of your opinion.

People who actually believed the war was wrong, and said so and acted accordingly, have more respect from me than someone like Bush.

Such as Bill Clinton? Do you respect Bill for lying to get out of the military only years later to become commander in chief?

• wednesday
    wednesday

Way to go Pres!! Nice gesture. Glad he was able to do it.

the cowboys , btw, lost big time, but man, what a half itme show. Toby Keith sang"courtesy of the red, white and blue" and a gold eagle descended onto the field. Quite a show. Very nice.

and good for Hilary too. Nice gesture.

• copsec
    copsec

I am very proud of President Bush. I think he has done a fine job of the mess Clinton left and the mess Iraq is in and hope he will win for another four years. I tend to vote for whoever I feel will do the best job, Democrat or Republican but I must admit I lean far more Repulican. Democrats want me to give up too much of my money that I work my ass off to earn to pay for some deadbeat that doesn't want to get off their butt and work!

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

That isn't a knock on the National Guard at all, Stacy; it's a fine program, especially in an America w/o the draft. My comment was a clue to the character of George Bush, whose "service" wasn't service at all, compared to the men who weren't able to get out of going to Vietnam.

Do you respect Bill for lying to get out of the military only years later to become commander in chief

I think that the Vietnam war was wrong, and I have respect for people who stood up back then and said so. I don't know the circumstances of Clinton getting out of military service, so I can't really comment. I was a witness when Clinton was in office, so I stayed pretty clueless about the specifics of politics, though of course my overall view of him was very negative, naughty boy and politician that he was.

To be honest, I don't absolutely know that George Bush jr believed in the Vietnam war or not. Heck, perhaps he felt the war was wrong, but couldn't be open about that thought, so I can't really be too hard on him for getting out of it. But he is the type to be cavalier and downright reckless in sending other men and other men's children to war for reasons not much better than vietnam, and for that I do fault him.

Wes Clark either believed in the war, or believed in serving in the military in spite of your personal philosophy on a givin conflict; I don't know which. But he volunteered and went to Vietnam and ended up shot. The point being though, that he did what he believed in, and I think it showed real character and bravery.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

Well six we all have different opinions about Bush. Right now I respect him and I'm grateful he's the nations leader. Earlier I was asked if I blindly support Bush and republicans and I meantioned one thing I very much disagree with republicans and Bush about. Then I challenged Bradley to say one thing he disagress with Democrats about. He hasn't checked back in yet

As far as Clinton goes he was a good politician even back while in college. He went to the draft board and begged for a deferment in order to finish college with the promise to join as soon as he graduated. He never joined. Yep he snookered the dummy at the draft board. Lying was easy for him even back then.

But this thread is about Bush not Clinton. Does he have balls or is he stupid. Well he obviously has balls since the photos from him today show him without a bullet proof vest. He was in harms way, just like those soldiers he sent over. Is he stupid? Hardly. They don't let stupid people fly jets.

Was he perhaps foolish for going over there? Maybe so but it was a calculated risk for him. He felt his pressence was beneficial on Thanksgiving. From what I watched on the tube today those soldiers looked very proud to be serving under him.

• wednesday
    wednesday

I don't hate bill clinton. Personality wise, he is one of the coolest pres's we have ever had. But NO ONE will ever accuse him of having character. If he did not go to vietnam, u can be sure it was to save his own butt, and did not invlove any "character" on his part. Our current pres, Bush, did find a way to serve his country. I respect that.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

I just did a little quickie search on goggle on Clinton, here's a timeline about his draft status, interesting no?

• Bill Clinton registers for the draft on September 08, 1964, accepting all contractual conditions of registering for the draft. Given Selective Service Number 3 26 46 228.

• Bill Clinton classified 2-S on November 17, 1964.

• Bill Clinton reclassified 1-A on March 20, 1968.

• Bill Clinton ordered to report for induction on July 28, 1969.

• Bill Clinton dishonors order to report and is not inducted into the military.

• Bill Clinton reclassified 1-D after enlisting in the United States Army Reserves on August 07,1969 under authority of Col.E.Holmes.

• Clinton signs enlistment papers and takes oath of enlistment.

• Bill Clinton fails to report to his duty station at the University of Arkansas ROTC, September 1969.

• Bill Clinton reclassified 1-A on October 30, 1969, as enlistment with Army Reserves is revoked by Colonel E. Holmes and Clinton now AWOL and subject to arrest under Public Law 90-40 (2)(a) "registrant who has failed to report....remain liable for induction".

• Bill Clinton's birth date lottery number is 311, drawn December 1,1969, but anyone who has already been ordered to report for induction is INELIGIBLE!

• Bill Clinton runs for Congress (1974), while a fugitive from justice under Public Law 90-40.

• Bill Clinton runs for Arkansas Attorney General (1976), while a fugitive from justice.

• Bill Clinton receives pardon on January 21, 1977, from President Jimmy Carter.

• Bill Clinton is the (FIRST PARDONED FEDERAL FELON) ever to serve as President.
  • SheilaM
    SheilaM

Six: I don't agree what your essentially saying is that other choices for duty are not as worthy or honorable. Yes there are people on the front line but there are also people such as the National Guard and others that ride the desks, who by there effort cause the machine that is the military to operate. One doesn't have a CHOICE on whether to deploy or not. Many National Guard deploy some did here my sister didn't. It is really hard for those that don't deploy like my son he feels guilty although he is doing a honorable job.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    He was in harms way, just like those soldiers he sent over.

Whoa whoa whoa!!!!

No no no. Don't even compare Bush's "event" today with what those soldiers face every day.

He flew in secretly in the dark, stayed 2.5 hours, and flew out before anyone in the media even knew he'd been there.

He was not in harms way in the slightest today. Let's all be VERY clear about that. This was slightly politically risky, but it was not physically risky at all. The title of this thread is misleading, as there was nothing ballsy or stupid about Bush going to Iraq today.

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit