Who really is the Faithful and Discreet Slave?

by Godlyman 349 Replies latest watchtower bible

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete
    What it boils down to is that if I am right, JWs are wrong, and if I am wrong about some aspects, JWs are still wrong.

That's about what I said. I agree. So I guess any further comment would be moot.

• BruceX
    BruceX

scholar:

The 70 years began in 607 BCE in the seventh month, Tishri also marked the same month of the Return in 537 BCE in the seventh month. Jehovah God is the Great Timekeeper!

What does Jeremiah 29:10 mean when he says "When 70 years at Babylon are fulfilled". What does "at" here mean? 70 years exile in the city of Babylon?

• scholar
    scholar

peacefulpete

Funny thing scholar is that I was were you are, I know what you know, I experienced just about all there was to be experienced as a JW. I used to sit with F.Franz in the sauna and listen to his ravings. I heard the infighting and debates carried on in the elevators and halls. I read the books the WT writers quote mined and marked up in the "research library". I got emotionally abused by the system that I devoted my life to. I was there when a dysfunctional foreign branch office was rebuilt by other dysfunctional people. My assigned congregation was impoverished in every respect. I've seen the system work and I've seen it fail miserably. I'm not ignorant of the sincerity of some nor am I ignorant of the duplicity of others. It's a church, nothing more.

--

So sad for you but that has not been my experience as an active Witness since 1958, baptised in 1964 and has pursued and attained University Degrees in Religious Studies both as an Undergraduate and Postgraduate. Further, I spent much time accessing and researching at the leading Theological seminary library in Sydney-Moore College researching questions from the field whilst pioneering. I have long battled issues on Chronology from SDA sources, dealt with prominent Hasidic Jewish scholars/academics and have collected and accessed all of the leading academic journals and read all of the major poztate scholarly literature. My conclusion from all of this is that Jehovah's Witnesses are the only True Religion having restored the teachings and practices of the Early Church. So there!

scholar JW

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

peacefulpete:

That's about what I said. I agree. So I guess any further comment would be moot.

Sure. But where other alternatives have been offered, I can show not merely that they disagree with what I have said, but also their own internal inconsistencies and irrationalities. And it’s not as though I have presented anything esoteric (as is almost universally the case with religious attempts). My research arrived at independently is consistent with expert sources for all the events in the NeoBabylonian period.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

‘scholar’:

So sad for you but that has not been my experience as an active Witness since 1958, baptised in 1964 and has pursued and attained University Degrees in Religious Studies both as an Undergraduate and Postgraduate. Further, I spent much time accessing and researching at the leading Theological seminary library in Sydney-Moore College researching questions from the field whilst pioneering. I have long battled issues on Chronology from SDA sources, dealt with prominent Hasidic Jewish scholars/academics and have collected and accessed all of the leading academic journals and read all of the major poztate scholarly literature. My conclusion from all of this is that Jehovah's Witnesses are the only True Religion having restored the teachings and practices of the Early Church. So there!

All that effort and still so wrong. Sad indeed. You must be really feeling the weight of that sunk cost fallacy.

• scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

Sure. But where other alternatives have been offered, I can show not merely that they disagree with what I have said, but also their own internal inconsistencies and irrationalities. And it’s not as though I have presented anything esoteric (as is almost universally the case with religious attempts). My research arrived at independently is consistent with expert sources for all the events in the NeoBabylonian period.

You boast but do not deliver for you never quote any academic or scholarly resources or if by chance you have done so it is rather rare. This means that your theories and interpretations on Chronology are yours and yours alone but you are entitled to such views just as others do including WT Bible Chronology.

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

All that effort and still so wrong. Sad indeed. You must be really feeling the weight of that sunk cost fallacy.

Well rewarded as I deal with the likes of you and your utter nonsense on Chronology.

scholar JW

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

I don’t require fallacious appeals to authority. You are never able to point out specific errors in my work anyway, just tedious complaints that it differs from JW nonsense (just like all the experts). That’s not to say there are definitely no errors but your skill in the subject is so poor that identifying any actual errors won’t be coming from you.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Jeffro...I used esoteric to describe the prophets' usage not you. I value your exhaustive work. I just see a simpler explanation that doesn't involve lending credence to the literalist perspective. You and Scholar have passionately argued alternate timelines that require a precision and certitude we just can't possibly have. Tomorrow a new improved timeline may come as it has many times before. You have effectively pointed out the inconsistencies and glosses required to believe the WT dogma. Your work is valuable in showing the simplistic formula used by the WT is erroneous.

I fear for some posters here, debates about minutia almost adds to the legitimacy of the idea of divining future dates by establishing past ones. I guess for many my fixation on the synoptic problem and OT composition looks the same way.

Scholar.... just for giggles, shouldn't the 70 years have been 360 days long since it was a prophecy? Doesn't that result in the 70 years being actually 69 years and change? Or should we just change the length of the cubit like Russell?

• BruceX
    BruceX

I'd like to know what scholar's interpretation of Jeremiah 29:10 (NWT) is. What does Jeremiah mean when he says "When 70 years at Babylon are fulfilled". What does "at" here mean? 70 years exile in the city of Babylon? I read this same verse in another NWT language where it says "in Babylon".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit