Sudden General Election in UK to be held June 8th 2017

by freddo 167 Replies latest social current

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    The country is broadly in favour of leaving the EU and even more strongly in favour of having May

No. The country voted narrowly to leave the EU and didn't cast a single vote for Theresa May at all.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Not everything needs to be an actual vote nic - we can revisit this in ~50 days and verify whether my assertion is true if you want - meanwhile:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/theresa-may-would-make-a-better-prime-minister-than-jeremy-corbyn-new-poll-suggests-a3511831.html

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Yes, after the election you'll have all the information necessary to claim whether or not the country is "strongly in favour of having May" right now you don't.

And consider that the poll you cite comes from former billionaire Tory Chairman and tax exile Lord Ashcroft. Couldn't possibly be bigging up his chums could he?

• Simon
    Simon

Much of the investment of large companies into Scotland is because they are the perfect mix of low cost areas + access to the larger UK (English) market. Those economies don't necessarily work if Scotland is behind a border and part of a different trading block - Europe.

People seem to think that when something major changes, they'll keep all the good things and there will be no drawbacks and they will just gain the new good things.

It doesn't work that way.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Interesting. You have a strong, confident woman about to tackle negotiations on the terms of leaving a political union - which she was always in favour of - and she is broadly praised.

You have another strong, confident woman negotiating for a referendum to leave a political union she has always been philosophically opposed to and she is widely condemned - one is backed by a democratic mandate for (Brexit & May), the other isn't (the Scots recently voted against independence).

In starting Brexit, May is taking note of the will of the majority; in planning a second Scottish referendum, Sturgeon is ignoring the will of the majority. Big difference.

The will of the majority is what matters, however much politicians may try to ignore it.

• scotsman
    scotsman

The suggestion that the UK population is united in any way is fallacious.

The outcomes of the 2014 and 2016 referenda and the 2015 and 2016 parliamentary elections are clear and the majorities are marginal, but majorities they are.

People seem to think that when something major changes, they'll keep all the good things and there will be no drawbacks and they will just gain the new good things.

What will the drawbacks of exiting the EU be?

In starting Brexit, May is taking note of the will of the majority; in planning a second Scottish referendum, Sturgeon is ignoring the will of the majority. Big difference.

After the 2014 referendum the majority went on to vote in 2016 for political parties in favour of Scottish independence... it's not such a big difference.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

If anyone is like me - the thing I think missing in UK politics, the thing I would unite behind, a is a genuine positive message . Not something naive or silly but a clear , well thought out pro-active campaign. Too much of the political thrust is to divide people and then demand everyone thus divided then accept a whole raft of garbage side policy. The honest thing is that we need compassionate people who might drift to the social side of politics to balance the pragmatic people who are interested in more right wing ideas - in short we need each other to bring out the best in all. The whole black and white splits in opinion has a whiff of The Dark Crystal about it, we aren't really on opposite sides.

This whole Scottish independence thing is similar to Brexit. People are voting against things (EU, US Democrats and UK) not because these ideas are 'bad' but because they aren't offering enough that is exciting and good. I could get behind an upbeat EU out to save the world's endangered species, racing to explore space and sharing medical discoveries gratis with the developing world ; a union funding huge refugee centers with proper food, education , training , medical facilities and EU security forces aimed at creating a safe living area aimed at getting the people fed, watered and ready to return and rebuild.

There is so much more that unites us than divides us but there is so much petty greed and power grabbing that nastiness and emotional outrage is a natural outcome. I personally vote Tory with my nose pinched because I see people like Osborne gorging at the trough and then I look at Blair and his millionaire status as the counter. Very few people in politics have principles that mean anything and that's the problem. There is a gaping vacuum for a party based upon genuine hope and positive thinking.

A party that wasn't built on division politics could do very well.

• freddo
    freddo

Bump ...

TODAY'S the day. Quite a flow of water under the bridge since Easter.

Wonder if any of our predictions will come good?

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

I see that the Shadow Home Secretary, Diane Abbott, has resigned. Apparently she wasn't party to that decision.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I Voted Labour this morning. Waste of time in my Constituency which has a huge majority of blinkered, self-interested Tory voters.

It made me feel better though ! I have registered my disgust with the Tory Party, which has cut benefits and funding simply to follow their own ideology, not for the good of the Nation.

I happen to think too that T.May has already cocked up her chances of negotiating a "good" Brexit, by saying she will be a "Bloody awkward woman". What a way to present herself ! She could not negotiate her way out of a paper bag.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit