Sudden General Election in UK to be held June 8th 2017

by freddo 167 Replies latest social current

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

If Labour was in any way a decent opposition they would have opposed holding an election and blocked it in parliament. "Now is not the time". Then what would the Tories have done? Complained that Labour changed its mind? What like May changed her mind? Provoke a vote of no confidence in their own government? What a farce that would have been!

Labour were handed an open goal yesterday and missed.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i reckon Nigel Farage will become prime minister. just dont know which party though.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Remember if you vote for May you're voting for a Trump state visit later in the year...

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I am actually impressed by May's job so far. She voted remain and yet has honoured the majority will of the people. She has put forward multiple claims for unity amongst us all during this emotive and challenging time (I've not heard many calls for unity from any other major politicians - mainly they are all sniping in the hope of gaining disgruntled votes rather than trying to support the whole UK.)

With regards to the EU she has been firm, gracious and hasn't jumped to any over-inflated demands but has stated simply that she wants a good deal for all and that the UK will , quite rightly, walk away from a bad deal.

She hasn't closed any doors (e.g. she hasn't stated we won't pay any oustanding EU obligations nor did she get embroiled in the Gibraltar baiting) and she has handled the various spoiling tactics of the Gina's and Nicola's of this world without nastiness or losing her cool. Parliament has backed her and we are maneuvering into a negotiating stance that should be united and have a mandate.

The UK people , in general, are uniting under her assured leadership. Cometh the hour cometh the woman.

Very, very happy with our current political leadership and I wouldn't trust the Brexit leadership needs with any other single candidate at the moment.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Somebody asked how many referendums Scotland will have. As many referendums as Scotland votes for, quite obviously - no.

If Scotland had voted to become independent the first time round, there would be no further referendums on the topic.

Scotland will have any number of referendums until Sturgeon gets the 'right' answer.

Simples.

Edit - good comments, Qcmbr.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@SBF - good comments re what Labour perhaps should have done (blocking it in parliament).

But, Labour are far from a united party - many Labour MPs want rid of Corbyn and McDonnell.

They know Corbyn is basically unelectable, so voting for the general election is a way of hurrying along Corbyn's eventual demise, surely ...

• Simon
    Simon
    Scotland will have any number of referendums until Sturgeon gets the 'right' answer.

The EU was famous for this. Having votes and referendums and then repeating them until they get the answer they want if something is rejected - usually because it's inevitable that at some point those opposing something get bored of turning out to vote again and again but the minority who want it turn out.

It's not how democracies are meant to work. IMO having a limit before the same referendum can be presented again should be part of the offering - i.e. "... and we promise not to ask you this for another decade at least".

Scotland could vote to become independent but there's little reason I can see that the EU would want them to join so it shouldn't just be assumed you will walk out of the UK and into the EU and continue getting handouts. They would certainly lose out a lot of things that currently are bankrolled by the UK (the south) but voted for by Scottish MPs in parliament.

i.e. kiss goodbye to the free university as part of the independence ...

• cofty
    cofty

....and free prescriptions etc. etc.

Scotland cannot leave the Union and join the EU. Even if they did the austerity budget the EU would demand would make current austerity measures look like extravagance.

Scotland has a £15 billion deficit that represents 9.5% of GDP. That is worse than Greece. The EU demands a maximum deficit of 3% of GDP for applications for membership.

Scotland's Budget Deficit The Largest In Europe - Couldn't Join The EU If It Wanted To

Four years ago, Scotland’s share of oil revenues topped £11 billion. Even in 2014-15, its share of North Sea tax receipts was £1.8 billion. The latest figures revealed that, by 2015-16, oil revenues had slumped to £60 million — a drop of 97 per cent in a year. ... Forbes

• cofty
    cofty

Of course none of that matters a jot. Indy2 is not about the economy, it's fuelled by anti-English bigotry.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I've been a party member for years and attended numberous meetings and events. I've never heard an anti-English sentiment yet. In fact my SNP councillor is English.

And Simon the difference between imposed EU referendums and a second Scottish referendum is pretty clear: Scots voted for a party with a pledge to hold a referendum in their manifesto.

If Scots don't want another referendum it's quite simple - don't vote SNP in June. That's democracy.

I look forward to the result!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit